Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > RAW and quickly viewable pictures

RAW and quickly viewable pictures

Hoshisato

I'm looking for a tool that would quickly give me JPEGs from my RAW
images so that I can show them to people interested in my trip and not
so interested in seeing the best picture possible. I intend on spending
a lot of time with the RAW images worth it, of course. Any
recommendations as to what settings to use in Photoshop RAW editor or
what tool to use to quickly output "decent" JPEGs?

Scott W

Hoshisato wrote:
> I'm looking for a tool that would quickly give me JPEGs from my RAW
> images so that I can show them to people interested in my trip and not
> so interested in seeing the best picture possible. I intend on spending
> a lot of time with the RAW images worth it, of course. Any
> recommendations as to what settings to use in Photoshop RAW editor or
> what tool to use to quickly output "decent" JPEGs?

RawShooter essentials is a free program that can do batch concretions
of raw file to jpeg.

It is also not a bad converter for those images you want to spend just
a bit more time on.

Scott

Panno Zhai

Hoshisato wrote:
> I'm looking for a tool that would quickly give me JPEGs from my RAW
> images so that I can show them to people interested in my trip and not
> so interested in seeing the best picture possible. I intend on spending
> a lot of time with the RAW images worth it, of course. Any
> recommendations as to what settings to use in Photoshop RAW editor or
> what tool to use to quickly output "decent" JPEGs?

Hoshisato,

How about paying a homage and using the RAW converter of your
countrymen, which is arguably the best RAW converter in the world ?

It is called SilkyPix, and is avaliable for only 16000 yen,
http://www.isl.co.jp/SILKYPIX/english/

Bob Williams

Hoshisato wrote:
> I'm looking for a tool that would quickly give me JPEGs from my RAW
> images so that I can show them to people interested in my trip and not
> so interested in seeing the best picture possible. I intend on spending
> a lot of time with the RAW images worth it, of course. Any
> recommendations as to what settings to use in Photoshop RAW editor or
> what tool to use to quickly output "decent" JPEGs?

The Canon EOS series DSLRs can capture in RAW + jpeg.
Probably others can do the same.
Download the jpeg for friends and family.
Download the RAW for extensive editing prior to printing.
Bob Williams

Hoshisato

Bob Williams wrote:
> Hoshisato wrote:
> > I'm looking for a tool that would quickly give me JPEGs from my RAW
> > images so that I can show them to people interested in my trip and not
> > so interested in seeing the best picture possible. I intend on spending
> > a lot of time with the RAW images worth it, of course. Any
> > recommendations as to what settings to use in Photoshop RAW editor or
> > what tool to use to quickly output "decent" JPEGs?
> >

> The Canon EOS series DSLRs can capture in RAW + jpeg.
> Probably others can do the same.
> Download the jpeg for friends and family.
> Download the RAW for extensive editing prior to printing.
> Bob Williams

I have a Pentax *Ist DS and it doesn't have that option yet. Wouldn't
it be possible that the camera included the processing it would have
done had it saved the image as a JPEG in its RAW header? DSLR cameras
come with software and in that case it would be so easy to generate the
same quality JPEGs the camera would have stored while still having
access to the RAW file for tweaking.

John Bean

On 5 Jun 2006 01:20:57 -0700, "Hoshisato"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Bob Williams wrote:
>> Hoshisato wrote:
>> > I'm looking for a tool that would quickly give me JPEGs from my RAW
>> > images so that I can show them to people interested in my trip and not
>> > so interested in seeing the best picture possible. I intend on spending
>> > a lot of time with the RAW images worth it, of course. Any
>> > recommendations as to what settings to use in Photoshop RAW editor or
>> > what tool to use to quickly output "decent" JPEGs?
>> >

>> The Canon EOS series DSLRs can capture in RAW + jpeg.
>> Probably others can do the same.
>> Download the jpeg for friends and family.
>> Download the RAW for extensive editing prior to printing.
>> Bob Williams

>I have a Pentax *Ist DS and it doesn't have that option yet. Wouldn't
>it be possible that the camera included the processing it would have
>done had it saved the image as a JPEG in its RAW header? DSLR cameras
>come with software and in that case it would be so easy to generate the
>same quality JPEGs the camera would have stored while still having
>access to the RAW file for tweaking.

Ah, even easier. All Pentax raw files have an embedded
full-size JPEG which can be extracted. If you use Windows
you can use the handy free program pef2jpeg from here:

http://www.kit.hi-ho.ne.jp/yj_okawa/..._readme-e.html

As an alternative the excellent Exiftool can also extract
embedded JPEGs if you don't mind using a command line tool.

--
John Bean

Hoshisato

John Bean wrote:
> On 5 Jun 2006 01:20:57 -0700, "Hoshisato"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> >Bob Williams wrote:
> >> >
> >> The Canon EOS series DSLRs can capture in RAW + jpeg.
> >> Probably others can do the same.
> >> Download the jpeg for friends and family.
> >> Download the RAW for extensive editing prior to printing.
> >> Bob Williams

> >I have a Pentax *Ist DS and it doesn't have that option yet. Wouldn't
> >it be possible that the camera included the processing it would have
> >done had it saved the image as a JPEG in its RAW header? DSLR cameras
> >come with software and in that case it would be so easy to generate the
> >same quality JPEGs the camera would have stored while still having
> >access to the RAW file for tweaking.

> Ah, even easier. All Pentax raw files have an embedded
> full-size JPEG which can be extracted. If you use Windows
> you can use the handy free program pef2jpeg from here:
>
> http://www.kit.hi-ho.ne.jp/yj_okawa/..._readme-e.html
>
> As an alternative the excellent Exiftool can also extract
> embedded JPEGs if you don't mind using a command line tool.

Wow, thanks! That solves indeed all my problems!

Scott W

Bob Williams wrote:
> Hoshisato wrote:
> > I'm looking for a tool that would quickly give me JPEGs from my RAW
> > images so that I can show them to people interested in my trip and not
> > so interested in seeing the best picture possible. I intend on spending
> > a lot of time with the RAW images worth it, of course. Any
> > recommendations as to what settings to use in Photoshop RAW editor or
> > what tool to use to quickly output "decent" JPEGs?
> >

> The Canon EOS series DSLRs can capture in RAW + jpeg.
> Probably others can do the same.
> Download the jpeg for friends and family.
> Download the RAW for extensive editing prior to printing.
> Bob Williams

I use to do this but in the end getting the jpeg from the raw was so
easy there simply did not seem to be any point in it. I now save a
some flash card space by only saving the raw file.

Still for those people who really hate to mess with raw shooting
jpeg+raw is far better then just shooting jpeg.

Scott

John McWilliams

Scott W wrote:
> Bob Williams wrote:
>
>>Hoshisato wrote:
>>
>>>I'm looking for a tool that would quickly give me JPEGs from my RAW
>>>images so that I can show them to people interested in my trip and not
>>>so interested in seeing the best picture possible. I intend on spending
>>>a lot of time with the RAW images worth it, of course. Any
>>>recommendations as to what settings to use in Photoshop RAW editor or
>>>what tool to use to quickly output "decent" JPEGs?
>>>

>>The Canon EOS series DSLRs can capture in RAW + jpeg.
>>Probably others can do the same.
>>Download the jpeg for friends and family.
>>Download the RAW for extensive editing prior to printing.
>>Bob Williams

> I use to do this but in the end getting the jpeg from the raw was so
> easy there simply did not seem to be any point in it. I now save a
> some flash card space by only saving the raw file.
>
> Still for those people who really hate to mess with raw shooting
> jpeg+raw is far better then just shooting jpeg.

H-

It's right there in PS. What version have you?

--
john mcwilliams

Hoshisato

John McWilliams wrote:
> Scott W wrote:
> > Bob Williams wrote:

> >>The Canon EOS series DSLRs can capture in RAW + jpeg.
> >>Probably others can do the same.
> >>Download the jpeg for friends and family.
> >>Download the RAW for extensive editing prior to printing.
> >>Bob Williams

> > I use to do this but in the end getting the jpeg from the raw was so
> > easy there simply did not seem to be any point in it. I now save a
> > some flash card space by only saving the raw file.
> >
> > Still for those people who really hate to mess with raw shooting
> > jpeg+raw is far better then just shooting jpeg.
> >

> H-
>
> It's right there in PS. What version have you?

I'm on Photoshop Elements 3.