Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Mounting Canon 70-200 On Tripod

Mounting Canon 70-200 On Tripod

Simon

This is a really naive question, however I bought a 70-200 because I want to
handhold with decent shutter speeds in fairly low light. However, I noticed
that it has a strange tripod fixing.

I had a quick look around the internet and there were 'Wibley heads' of
something like that, but they were silly prices. Is there something that is
actually a reasonable price, so I can use it on a tripod for long periods of
shooting (just to take the weight off)?

Simon

Sorry, typo. I meant to say monopod, not tripod.

"Simon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> This is a really naive question, however I bought a 70-200 because I want
> to handhold with decent shutter speeds in fairly low light. However, I
> noticed that it has a strange tripod fixing.
>
> I had a quick look around the internet and there were 'Wibley heads' of
> something like that, but they were silly prices. Is there something that
> is actually a reasonable price, so I can use it on a tripod for long
> periods of shooting (just to take the weight off)?

MarkČ

Simon wrote:
> Sorry, typo. I meant to say monopod, not tripod.

If you're shooting sports or wildlife from a distance, you should be able to
happily shoot by simpy mounting the lens (via the lens' built-in tripod
mount) directly to the monopod. If you need to turn it in vertical
orientation, you simply turn the knob on the tripod mount and then spin the
camera body while the lens stays put.
--Only on rare occasion do I feel the need for using a ball head on a
monopod--usually only for close proximity shots of things over-head or near
the ground.

> "Simon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> This is a really naive question, however I bought a 70-200 because I
>> want to handhold with decent shutter speeds in fairly low light. However,
>> I noticed that it has a strange tripod fixing.
>>
>> I had a quick look around the internet and there were 'Wibley heads'
>> of something like that, but they were silly prices. Is there
>> something that is actually a reasonable price, so I can use it on a
>> tripod for long periods of shooting (just to take the weight off)?

www.pbase.com/markuson

Simon

Cheers Mark

I must admit the problem is due to, Mmm, maybe too much alcohol! Good job
it has IS! ))

You are dead right though, the tripod mount spins.

"MarkČ" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote in message
> Simon wrote:
>
> If you're shooting sports or wildlife from a distance, you should be able
> to happily shoot by simpy mounting the lens (via the lens' built-in tripod
> mount) directly to the monopod. If you need to turn it in vertical
> orientation, you simply turn the knob on the tripod mount and then spin
> the camera body while the lens stays put.

> --Only on rare occasion do I feel the need for using a ball head on a
> monopod--usually only for close proximity shots of things over-head or
> near the ground.

Dave

Mark,

Can you recommend a ball head for a monopod? I'm using the same lens as
well.

Dave

"MarkČ" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote in message
> Simon wrote:
>> Sorry, typo. I meant to say monopod, not tripod.

> If you're shooting sports or wildlife from a distance, you should be able
> to happily shoot by simpy mounting the lens (via the lens' built-in tripod
> mount) directly to the monopod. If you need to turn it in vertical
> orientation, you simply turn the knob on the tripod mount and then spin
> the camera body while the lens stays put.
> --Only on rare occasion do I feel the need for using a ball head on a
> monopod--usually only for close proximity shots of things over-head or
> near the ground.
>

>> "Simon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> This is a really naive question, however I bought a 70-200 because I
>>> want to handhold with decent shutter speeds in fairly low light.
>>> However, I noticed that it has a strange tripod fixing.
>>>
>>> I had a quick look around the internet and there were 'Wibley heads'
>>> of something like that, but they were silly prices. Is there
>>> something that is actually a reasonable price, so I can use it on a
>>> tripod for long periods of shooting (just to take the weight off)?

> --
> Images (Plus Snaps & Grabs) by MarkČ at:
> www.pbase.com/markuson

John McWilliams

Simon wrote:
> Cheers Mark
>
> I must admit the problem is due to, Mmm, maybe too much alcohol! Good job
> it has IS! ))
>
> You are dead right though, the tripod mount spins.
>

> "MarkČ" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote in message
>> Simon wrote:
>>
>> If you're shooting sports or wildlife from a distance, you should be able
>> to happily shoot by simpy mounting the lens (via the lens' built-in tripod
>> mount) directly to the monopod. If you need to turn it in vertical
>> orientation, you simply turn the knob on the tripod mount and then spin
>> the camera body while the lens stays put.

Looks like you are all drunk, but Mark sq. posts correctly, even if his
info is sometimes inaccurate. viz.: The lens turns with the body when
you loosen the tightening nut on the mono/tripod bracket.

--
John McWilliams

MarkČ

John McWilliams wrote:
> Simon wrote:
>> Cheers Mark
>>
>> I must admit the problem is due to, Mmm, maybe too much alcohol! Good job
>> it has IS! ))
>>
>> You are dead right though, the tripod mount spins.
>>

>> "MarkČ" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote in message
>>> Simon wrote:
>>>
>>> If you're shooting sports or wildlife from a distance, you should
>>> be able to happily shoot by simpy mounting the lens (via the lens'
>>> built-in tripod mount) directly to the monopod. If you need to
>>> turn it in vertical orientation, you simply turn the knob on the
>>> tripod mount and then spin the camera body while the lens stays put.

> Looks like you are all drunk, but Mark sq. posts correctly, even if
> his info is sometimes inaccurate. viz.: The lens turns with the body
> when you loosen the tightening nut on the mono/tripod bracket.

I left out two words in my haste:
-The lens' tripod MOUNT stays put, of course.

www.pbase.com/markuson

MarkČ

John McWilliams wrote:
> Simon wrote:
>> Cheers Mark
>>
>> I must admit the problem is due to, Mmm, maybe too much alcohol! Good job
>> it has IS! ))
>>
>> You are dead right though, the tripod mount spins.
>>

>> "MarkČ" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote in message
>>> Simon wrote:
>>>
>>> If you're shooting sports or wildlife from a distance, you should
>>> be able to happily shoot by simpy mounting the lens (via the lens'
>>> built-in tripod mount) directly to the monopod. If you need to
>>> turn it in vertical orientation, you simply turn the knob on the
>>> tripod mount and then spin the camera body while the lens stays put.

> Looks like you are all drunk, but Mark sq. posts correctly, even if
> his info is sometimes inaccurate. viz.: The lens turns with the body
> when you loosen the tightening nut on the mono/tripod bracket.

www.pbase.com/markuson

Bob

"MarkČ" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote in message
newsiKgg.6056$rS6.1735@fed1read11...
> John McWilliams wrote:
>> Simon wrote:
>>> Cheers Mark
>>>
>>> I must admit the problem is due to, Mmm, maybe too much alcohol! Good
>>> job it has IS! ))
>>>
>>> You are dead right though, the tripod mount spins.
>>>

>>> "MarkČ" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote in message

>> Looks like you are all drunk, but Mark sq. posts correctly, even if
>> his info is sometimes inaccurate. viz.: The lens turns with the body
>> when you loosen the tightening nut on the mono/tripod bracket.

> I left out two words in my haste:
> -The lens' tripod MOUNT stays put, of course.

You're both wrong. He already admitted that he had been drinking so
EVERYTHING was spinning.

Bob

MarkČ

Bob wrote:
> "MarkČ" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote in message
> newsiKgg.6056$rS6.1735@fed1read11...
>> John McWilliams wrote:

>>> Looks like you are all drunk, but Mark sq. posts correctly, even if
>>> his info is sometimes inaccurate. viz.: The lens turns with the body
>>> when you loosen the tightening nut on the mono/tripod bracket.

>> I left out two words in my haste:
>> -The lens' tripod MOUNT stays put, of course.
>>

> You're both wrong. He already admitted that he had been drinking so
> EVERYTHING was spinning.

Ya, but I don't drink...so what's my excuse?

www.pbase.com/markuson