Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > How to save digital photo in the correct orientation?

Reply
Thread Tools

How to save digital photo in the correct orientation?

 
 
Michael
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-04-2006
I have a Canon SD630 that has a sensor to know if the photo taken is in
portrait or landscape. I believe that information is saved with the JPG
photo generated. The problem is that the JPG itself is always in landscape
mode, and I need specialised program to display the photo in the correct
orientation.

My older digital camera, a Kodak DX4530, also has an orientation sensor.
When I save the JPG, portrait photos are actually saved in portrait mode.
That is what I want with my Canon camera.

Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Dave Martindale
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-04-2006
"Michael" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>My older digital camera, a Kodak DX4530, also has an orientation sensor.
>When I save the JPG, portrait photos are actually saved in portrait mode.
>That is what I want with my Canon camera.


That's not how Canon does things. But all you need is a program that
will take a directory full of images you shot, select the
vertical-format ones (based on the orientation data in the header),
do a lossless rotation on the image data, and reset the flag in the
header to indicate that the image should be displayed as-is.

FastStone Image Viewer has a function to auto-rotate JPEG images based
on EXIF rotation data, though I haven't tried it myself. There must be
other choices too.

(I don't do this; I just leave the images in their original orientation.
My two usual viewers, IrfanView and FastStone, will both rotate as
necessary during display).

Dave

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Joseph Meehan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-04-2006
Michael wrote:
> I have a Canon SD630 that has a sensor to know if the photo taken is
> in portrait or landscape. I believe that information is saved with
> the JPG photo generated. The problem is that the JPG itself is always
> in landscape mode, and I need specialised program to display the
> photo in the correct orientation.
>
> My older digital camera, a Kodak DX4530, also has an orientation
> sensor. When I save the JPG, portrait photos are actually saved in
> portrait mode. That is what I want with my Canon camera.
>
> Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks.


I would check the software that came with the camera. It often has the
option to take care of this.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit


 
Reply With Quote
 
per
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-04-2006

"Michael" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I have a Canon SD630 that has a sensor to know if the photo taken is in
>portrait or landscape. I believe that information is saved with the JPG
>photo generated. The problem is that the JPG itself is always in landscape
>mode, and I need specialised program to display the photo in the correct
>orientation.
>...


Isn't there a setting in the camera menu system, for using or overriding the
orientation sensor?
/per


 
Reply With Quote
 
Jukka Aho
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-25-2006
Dave Martindale wrote:

> FastStone Image Viewer has a function to auto-rotate JPEG images based
> on EXIF rotation data, though I haven't tried it myself. There must
> be other choices too.


XnView has a lossless JPEG auto-rotate function (based on the EXIF
"orientation" field set by most Canon digital cameras) as well:

<http://www.xnview.com/>

Unlike some other applications, XnView also rotates the EXIF thumbnails.

--
znark

 
Reply With Quote
 
Dave Cohen
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-26-2006
per wrote:
> "Michael" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I have a Canon SD630 that has a sensor to know if the photo taken is in
>> portrait or landscape. I believe that information is saved with the JPG
>> photo generated. The problem is that the JPG itself is always in landscape
>> mode, and I need specialised program to display the photo in the correct
>> orientation.
>> ...

>
> Isn't there a setting in the camera menu system, for using or overriding the
> orientation sensor?
> /per
>
>

Yes, but that isn't his problem. He wants to save the pic rotated. You
only want to do this if it's going to finish up in some sort of slide
show. For printing, just print as is. The op needs to understand all the
camera is doing is recording in the exif data that the pic was shot
vertical. Some software can read this and rotate, if not virtually all
software let's you rotate manually.
Dave Cohen
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: How include a large array? Edward A. Falk C Programming 1 04-04-2013 08:07 PM
Labelling prints in galleries: "photo" vs "digital photo" vs "digital manipulation"... Alan Justice Digital Photography 2 06-08-2005 03:10 PM
Re: goodbye rec.photo.digital -hello rec.photo.digital.slr-systems? Woodchuck Bill Digital Photography 36 10-30-2004 11:50 PM
Re: goodbye rec.photo.digital -hello rec.photo.digital.slr-systems? Woodchuck Bill Digital Photography 15 10-27-2004 04:29 AM
Digital Photography RFD: rec.photo.digital.slr vs rec.photo.digital.slr-systems? Lionel Digital Photography 16 09-17-2004 12:48 PM



Advertisments