Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSD > Getting Certified

Getting Certified

Jaime

Are the books that are recommended next to each exam on
the Microsoft website enough to pass the exams?

John S

Ha, ha good one!

"Jaime" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:056001c3477b$84c09930$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Are the books that are recommended next to each exam on
> the Microsoft website enough to pass the exams?

Maria

No, they are just books published by/for/on behalf of
Microsoft, that are relevant to the exam objectives. They
may or may not be enough for you to pass the exams.
Did you expect Microsoft to recommend books by competing
publishers?

Alan Davis

> No, they are just books published by/for/on behalf of
> Microsoft, that are relevant to the exam objectives.

That is debatable.

> They
> may or may not be enough for you to pass the exams.

They cover very little. There 'primer books' out there that cover more
that those books.

Jaime

I wasn't asking if the publisher was good enough I was
wondering if the books themselves were comprehensive
enough.

Jaime

Ok thanks

Jaime

Funny I think you answer was the most insightful yet,
lol. So what else is needed then?

Alan Davis

> Frankly, it makes him look stupid.

People can put over whatever point of view they like.

If you really want to see some 'stupid' people, take a look at some of
the questions being asked in this forum over the paste few months, from
budding mcsd's.

I'm not as stupid as the people who waste their money believing that an
ms cert is the path to untold riches.

> however
> one with some intelligence would think that Microsoft's books would

contain
> more in-depth information than third-party books when it comes to
> certifications.

The microsoft press training books are utter crap (unlike the vast
majority of their other books). Read the reviews, read a chapter or two
at the local book store and make your own mind up.

> it is obvious that Mr. Davis has a chip on his shoulder with
> Microsoft;

Not at all. If microsoft want's to let the reputation of their certs go
[even further] down the pan, fine.

> Third-party books will generally write to an 8th grade level;

Not 'generally' at all. Although more and more crap is being published
these days.

> fetish or the need to belittle something to make him feel important.

What a bit like you keep going on about 'Liberals and Democrats'?

GVaught wrote:

> Jaime, it is obvious that Mr. Davis has a chip on his shoulder with
> Microsoft; not sure why he even bothers with this newsgroup. Perhaps it is a
> fetish or the need to belittle something to make him feel important.
> Frankly, it makes him look stupid.
>
> I can't say what books are better for taking the Microsoft exams; however
> one with some intelligence would think that Microsoft's books would contain
> more in-depth information than third-party books when it comes to
> certifications. Maybe I get this impression because the test are on
> Microsoft products and the books are from Microsoft. Go figure.
>
> The problem that confuses some people is that books written by Microsoft
> Press authors write to a higher level (12th grade or higher) of expertise
> and assume the person reading the book has experience with the topic.
> Third-party books will generally write to an 8th grade level; this allows
> beginners (even Liberals and Democrats) the ability to grasp the concepts
> and learn.
>

> "Jaime" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:050b01c34801$bd572d00$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>I wasn't asking if the publisher was good enough I was
>>wondering if the books themselves were comprehensive
>>enough.

GVaught

** What a bit like you keep going on about 'Liberals and Democrats'?
>> Yeah, I had just finished reading Ann Coulter's new book

'Treason' on the subject mentioned above. I got carried away.

Go, Tony Blair........

"Alan Davis" <.> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Frankly, it makes him look stupid.

> People can put over whatever point of view they like.
>
> If you really want to see some 'stupid' people, take a look at some of
> the questions being asked in this forum over the paste few months, from
> budding mcsd's.
>
> I'm not as stupid as the people who waste their money believing that an
> ms cert is the path to untold riches.
>
> > however
> > one with some intelligence would think that Microsoft's books would

> contain
> > more in-depth information than third-party books when it comes to
> > certifications.

> The microsoft press training books are utter crap (unlike the vast
> majority of their other books). Read the reviews, read a chapter or two
> at the local book store and make your own mind up.
>
> > it is obvious that Mr. Davis has a chip on his shoulder with
> > Microsoft;

> Not at all. If microsoft want's to let the reputation of their certs go
> [even further] down the pan, fine.
>
> > Third-party books will generally write to an 8th grade level;

> Not 'generally' at all. Although more and more crap is being published
> these days.
>
> > fetish or the need to belittle something to make him feel important.

> What a bit like you keep going on about 'Liberals and Democrats'?
>
> GVaught wrote:
>
> > Jaime, it is obvious that Mr. Davis has a chip on his shoulder with
> > Microsoft; not sure why he even bothers with this newsgroup. Perhaps it

is a
> > fetish or the need to belittle something to make him feel important.
> > Frankly, it makes him look stupid.
> >
> > I can't say what books are better for taking the Microsoft exams;

however
> > one with some intelligence would think that Microsoft's books would

contain
> > more in-depth information than third-party books when it comes to
> > certifications. Maybe I get this impression because the test are on
> > Microsoft products and the books are from Microsoft. Go figure.
> >
> > The problem that confuses some people is that books written by Microsoft
> > Press authors write to a higher level (12th grade or higher) of

expertise
> > and assume the person reading the book has experience with the topic.
> > Third-party books will generally write to an 8th grade level; this

allows
> > beginners (even Liberals and Democrats) the ability to grasp the

concepts
> > and learn.
> >

> > "Jaime" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:050b01c34801$bd572d00$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> >>I wasn't asking if the publisher was good enough I was
> >>wondering if the books themselves were comprehensive
> >>enough.

MCSE & MSCD

I have been an MCSE since Windows NT 3.5x, MCSE+I, MCT,
and an MCSD using only the Microsoft Press books as study
guides.

Personally, I find them comprehensive and to-the-point in
order to get the real meat of the content quickly.

Good luck!

Getting Sun Java Certified www.pulpjava.com Java 2 03-04-2007 08:13 AM
Is it worth getting certified with Whidbey around the corner? orekinbck@yahoo.com.au MCAD 13 09-30-2005 01:47 AM
Is it worth getting certified with Whidbey around the corner? orekinbck@yahoo.com.au MCSE 10 07-19-2005 03:56 PM
Getting Certified Jeff Taylor MCSE 16 09-05-2003 01:03 AM
Re: Getting certified. John S MCSD 11 08-18-2003 10:26 AM

Advertisments