Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > dslr: canon vs. minolta

dslr: canon vs. minolta

Rob & Wendy

I have been shooting film for years, but know nothing about digital. I need
a camera that has a quick response time and will take pics of a good enough
quality to blow up to large size prints (20 x 30 posters). I currently have
a Minolta 35mm SLR and many lenses for it. I have noticed that the Canon
digital rebel XT is 8 megapixels, more than any other dslr for the same
price. Is it worth it to buy the Minolta to be able to use my lenses (or
will they even work), or is the Canon so much better that I should start
over again?

Roy G

"Rob & Wendy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsHLfg.2775$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have been shooting film for years, but know nothing about digital. I
>need a camera that has a quick response time and will take pics of a good
>enough quality to blow up to large size prints (20 x 30 posters). I
>currently have a Minolta 35mm SLR and many lenses for it. I have noticed
>that the Canon digital rebel XT is 8 megapixels, more than any other dslr
>for the same price. Is it worth it to buy the Minolta to be able to use my
>lenses (or will they even work), or is the Canon so much better that I
>should start over again?

Hi.

Just remember that the difference between a 6Mp Camera and and 8MP one is
almost insignificant in relation to Print Sizes. There will be a noticeable
difference between a 6Mp and a 12Mp, but still not as much as you might
think.

This is due to the fact that the pixel count is arrived at by multiplying
the number of pixels on the long and short sides of the sensor. The sides
stay in the 3:2 proportion.
Very roughly :-

6Mp = 3K x 2K 12Mp = 4.3K x 2.8K

Print size (Long side) at 300 Ppi :-

6Mp = 10ins 12Mp = 14.3ins

I am not saying that you must print at 300Ppi, but it is the figure most
people aim for.

I have no doubt that if my arithmetic is incorrect, we will all hear about
it.

Roy G

Joseph Meehan

Rob & Wendy wrote:
> I have been shooting film for years, but know nothing about digital. I
> need a camera that has a quick response time and will take pics of
> a good enough quality to blow up to large size prints (20 x 30
> posters). I currently have a Minolta 35mm SLR and many lenses for
> it. I have noticed that the Canon digital rebel XT is 8 megapixels,
> more than any other dslr for the same price. Is it worth it to buy
> the Minolta to be able to use my lenses (or will they even work), or
> is the Canon so much better that I should start over again?

Note: Consumer Reports just came out with their ratings and both of
those cameras did very well and were their 1-2 picks. Consumer Reports
rates there cameras as they believe the average reader of their magazine
will use them which means their ratings may not be applicable to the
professional or advanced amateur. I suggest you also take a look at:

http://www.dpreview.com/

Finally I would check to make sure you can use your existing lenses, and
if so I would suggest the Minolta. Not only will there be a significant
advantage of having those lenses, but you also will likely find the
positions and type of controls more comfortable for you.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Tony

A lot will depend on if your lenses will fit the new Sony DSLR which is
going to be compatible with Minolta's current lenses. Buying a Minolta
branded camera right now could be a mistake - depends on how much they are
discounting them since the brand is dead.
How well Sony will do with the Minolta mount is open to question. Canon
has a giant lead and the Sony might fail the same way Minolta and
Konica/Minolta did. But Sony has a good reputation and the biggest expense
is the lens, so you really couldn't lose much if your equipment is
compatible.
If it isn't, I would go with Canon.
--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

"Rob & Wendy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsHLfg.2775$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have been shooting film for years, but know nothing about digital. I

need
> a camera that has a quick response time and will take pics of a good

enough
> quality to blow up to large size prints (20 x 30 posters). I currently

have
> a Minolta 35mm SLR and many lenses for it. I have noticed that the Canon
> digital rebel XT is 8 megapixels, more than any other dslr for the same
> price. Is it worth it to buy the Minolta to be able to use my lenses (or
> will they even work), or is the Canon so much better that I should start
> over again?

bmoag

Presumably you have Minolta autofocus lenses, otherwise you are starting
from scratch no matter what brand you buy into with regard to your lens
collection.
If you can wait for the new Sony Alpha using the Minolta mount it seems
likely this will be the Sony version of the awesome Nikon D200. If I had a
collection of Minolta autofocus lenses I would already have my order in for
this camera, sight unseen and without hesitation.
But:
Sony's top cameras to date have been capable of excellent results but in my
experience have had significant design limitations. Sony's top branded EVF
cameras have lacked the functionality that cameras from traditional
manufacturers automatically build in for photographers, things that could be
built in regardless of whether the camera is an EVF or a dSLR. Examples of
Sony usability issues include the way the Sony 828 and RC1 write
uncompressed RAW files to memory cards and limited flash adjustments,
limited buffers for multi-frame shooting, limited bracketing etc. Presumably
this reflects the lack of experience Sony design engineers have in creating
prosumer level cameras and presumably this will change with what they are
getting from Minolta, IMHO one of the greatest camera producers in
history--I wish Canon had gone belly-up instead.
If you are not tied to a lens collection Pentax is worth strong
consideration: many of their lenses outperform rivals from Nikon and Canon
and usually cost less. Pentax, like everyone else, is also coming out with a
new line of dSLRS with higher megapixel counts as soon as Sony, Samsung (or
whover their supplier is) can crank out enough sensors.

Jim Sant

start over and get the Canon. if you don't, you will always be the odd man
out.

Jim

"Rob & Wendy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsHLfg.2775$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have been shooting film for years, but know nothing about digital. I
>need a camera that has a quick response time and will take pics of a good
>enough quality to blow up to large size prints (20 x 30 posters). I
>currently have a Minolta 35mm SLR and many lenses for it. I have noticed
>that the Canon digital rebel XT is 8 megapixels, more than any other dslr
>for the same price. Is it worth it to buy the Minolta to be able to use my
>lenses (or will they even work), or is the Canon so much better that I
>should start over again?

Kevin Agard

> Rob & Wendy wrote:
>
>>I have been shooting film for years, but know nothing about digital. I
>>need a camera that has a quick response time and will take pics of
>>a good enough quality to blow up to large size prints (20 x 30
>>posters). I currently have a Minolta 35mm SLR and many lenses for
>>it. I have noticed that the Canon digital rebel XT is 8 megapixels,
>>more than any other dslr for the same price. Is it worth it to buy
>>the Minolta to be able to use my lenses (or will they even work), or
>>is the Canon so much better that I should start over again?

Rob or Wendy,

I presume you are talking about the Minolta Maxxum AF lens? If not, it's
a moot point as the non AF lens will not work on the KM DSLRs.

If you are, then you need to look at how much you have invested in your
current lens, how you feel about their quality and decide what you want.

I personally choose the KM 7D because I have gathered a rather large
collection of Maxxum lens over the years that i wanted to use and i did
not want to have to replace them. I can not say I am sorry about that
choice as I've been quite happy with the 7D.

On the down side, now that KM has gone out of the camera business, OEM
accessories are getting hard to find and more expensive.

GF3

Rob & Wendy wrote:

> I have been shooting film for years, but know nothing about digital. I
> need a camera that has a quick response time and will take pics of a good
> enough
> quality to blow up to large size prints (20 x 30 posters). I currently
> have
> a Minolta 35mm SLR and many lenses for it. I have noticed that the Canon
> digital rebel XT is 8 megapixels, more than any other dslr for the same
> price. Is it worth it to buy the Minolta to be able to use my lenses (or
> will they even work), or is the Canon so much better that I should start
> over again?

If you are to start over, Nikon makes the best DSLR's!

--
George Fritschmann III

Kenny

"GF3" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:fICdnY2CG8HU3RrZnZ2dneKdnZydnZ2d@forethought. net...

> If you are to start over, Nikon makes the best DSLR's!

That's your opinion and I can not agree with that statement. Canon
outsell Nikon by a huge margin, have better and lower cost lenses and
with cameras like the 5D and 1 series, leave Nikon playing catch-up.

You invest in a system, not a camera, and Canon have the best system at
this point in time.

Bob Salomon

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> ,
GF3 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Rob & Wendy wrote:
>
> > I have been shooting film for years, but know nothing about digital. I
> > need a camera that has a quick response time and will take pics of a good
> > enough
> > quality to blow up to large size prints (20 x 30 posters). I currently
> > have
> > a Minolta 35mm SLR and many lenses for it. I have noticed that the Canon
> > digital rebel XT is 8 megapixels, more than any other dslr for the same
> > price. Is it worth it to buy the Minolta to be able to use my lenses (or
> > will they even work), or is the Canon so much better that I should start
> > over again?
> >

> If you are to start over, Nikon makes the best DSLR's!

No one makes "the best" There are lots of "best" depending on your needs.

but Konica Minolta is gone from the photo industry. If you want to use
Minolta mount lenses on a current DSLR then you would look at the new
Sony Alpha system.

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.