Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Learning PS CS from ground zero

Learning PS CS from ground zero

Sam Carleton

I have taken on a business partner (BP) that knows very little
about computers. The BP does not really understand the whole file
system of Windows XP. While downloading images from my memory card
to my BP's computer, I am still being asked,"Are you loading that
into Photoshop?". Concepts like, downloading the contents of the
card to the hard drive has not sunk in yet. On the other hand, I
am a bit beyond a power user, I am a software developer and have
been over over ten years, so I simply don't have a clue as to
where to direct my BP to come up to speed on the basics, I have
been living it for WAY too long

Can anyone recommend some sources books or web sites that my BP
can use to come up to speed enough on the basics as to get my BP
to move forward with learning PS CS? If there is a good intro book
for PS CS that does talk about the file system a bit, that would
be perfect! How is the Photoshop for Dumbies book?
--
Sam
http://www.miltonstreet.com

Joan

Maybe start with Windows for Dummies.

--
Joan

news:72ffg.51111$(E-Mail Removed)...
:
: Can anyone recommend some sources books or web sites that my BP
: can use to come up to speed enough on the basics as to get my BP
: to move forward with learning PS CS? If there is a good intro book
: for PS CS that does talk about the file system a bit, that would
: be perfect! How is the Photoshop for Dumbies book?
: --
: Sam
: http://www.miltonstreet.com
: http://www.sportsshooter.com/scarleton

paul.busse@gmail.com

It may not be the best _starter_, but Scott Kelby's books are
excellent--

http://tinyurl.com/osnbo

Paul B.
www.scienceteacher.biz

Joan wrote:
> Maybe start with Windows for Dummies.
>
> --
> Joan
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/joan-in-manly
>
> "Sam Carleton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:72ffg.51111$(E-Mail Removed)...
> :I have taken on a business partner (BP) that knows very little
> : about computers. The BP does not really understand the whole file
> : system of Windows XP. While downloading images from my memory card
> : to my BP's computer, I am still being asked,"Are you loading that
> : into Photoshop?". Concepts like, downloading the contents of the
> : card to the hard drive has not sunk in yet. On the other hand, I
> : am a bit beyond a power user, I am a software developer and have
> : been over over ten years, so I simply don't have a clue as to
> : where to direct my BP to come up to speed on the basics, I have
> : been living it for WAY too long
> :
> : Can anyone recommend some sources books or web sites that my BP
> : can use to come up to speed enough on the basics as to get my BP
> : to move forward with learning PS CS? If there is a good intro book
> : for PS CS that does talk about the file system a bit, that would
> : be perfect! How is the Photoshop for Dumbies book?
> : --
> : Sam
> : http://www.miltonstreet.com
> : http://www.sportsshooter.com/scarleton

Simon

I haven't read any of Ben Willmore's books since PS 5.5 (Adobe Photoshop
Studio Techniques), but his Photoshop books are fantastic.

Probably the only computer books I have ever read that weren't boring and I
really enjoyed reading. I usually read computer/software books out of
necessity in order to learn about a particular topic, however I never
actually enjoy reading them, it is more of a necessity. Ben Willmore's
books were the absolute opposite. Sometimes you come across a book whereby
when you get the the end you wish it wasn't the end. His books are like
this for me.

As for understanding the file system of XP, then I am not sure why you would
want to read a Photoshop book for that?

"Sam Carleton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:72ffg.51111$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have taken on a business partner (BP) that knows very little
> about computers. The BP does not really understand the whole file
> system of Windows XP. While downloading images from my memory card
> to my BP's computer, I am still being asked,"Are you loading that
> into Photoshop?". Concepts like, downloading the contents of the
> card to the hard drive has not sunk in yet. On the other hand, I
> am a bit beyond a power user, I am a software developer and have
> been over over ten years, so I simply don't have a clue as to
> where to direct my BP to come up to speed on the basics, I have
> been living it for WAY too long
>
> Can anyone recommend some sources books or web sites that my BP
> can use to come up to speed enough on the basics as to get my BP
> to move forward with learning PS CS? If there is a good intro book
> for PS CS that does talk about the file system a bit, that would
> be perfect! How is the Photoshop for Dumbies book?
> --
> Sam
> http://www.miltonstreet.com
> http://www.sportsshooter.com/scarleton

simon

I second the 'Scott Kelby' recommendation

Dmac

Sam Carleton wrote:
> I have taken on a business partner (BP) that knows very little
> about computers. The BP does not really understand the whole file
> system of Windows XP. While downloading images from my memory card
> to my BP's computer, I am still being asked,"Are you loading that
> into Photoshop?". Concepts like, downloading the contents of the
> card to the hard drive has not sunk in yet. On the other hand, I
> am a bit beyond a power user, I am a software developer and have
> been over over ten years, so I simply don't have a clue as to
> where to direct my BP to come up to speed on the basics, I have
> been living it for WAY too long
>
> Can anyone recommend some sources books or web sites that my BP
> can use to come up to speed enough on the basics as to get my BP
> to move forward with learning PS CS? If there is a good intro book
> for PS CS that does talk about the file system a bit, that would
> be perfect! How is the Photoshop for Dumbies book?

What actually possessed you to take on a partner who hasn't a clue about
the core activities of your business? If it's money, it ain't worth the
effort. Should have gotten it from the bank.

If it's photography and they can't use a computer, you won't gain a
thing if you have to do double duty to nurse them along. Do what I did.

Send them to a course at a recognized institute. Sure it costs bucks but
at the end, your partner can contribute to, instead of drain from your
business. Or you could just get out now before you end up having a heart
attack... But that would be the smart thing to do, wouldn't it?
Photographers are not smart people, sad but true.

Douglas,
www.photographybydouglas.com

John McWilliams

Sam Carleton wrote:
> I have taken on a business partner (BP) that knows very little
> about computers. The BP does not really understand the whole file
> system of Windows XP. While downloading images from my memory card
> to my BP's computer, I am still being asked,"Are you loading that
> into Photoshop?". Concepts like, downloading the contents of the
> card to the hard drive has not sunk in yet. On the other hand, I
> am a bit beyond a power user, I am a software developer and have
> been over over ten years, so I simply don't have a clue as to
> where to direct my BP to come up to speed on the basics, I have
> been living it for WAY too long
>
> Can anyone recommend some sources books or web sites that my BP
> can use to come up to speed enough on the basics as to get my BP
> to move forward with learning PS CS? If there is a good intro book
> for PS CS that does talk about the file system a bit, that would
> be perfect! How is the Photoshop for Dumbies book?

Classroom in a book, Adobe.

But let me suggest a more radical approach, as I've just drawn some
conclusions from your website: You are totally clued in about mechanics-
of cameras, cars, computers, software, and your BP is not. Therefor I am
suggesting you buy him an Intel Macintosh, and put Lightroom on it, and
have him or her learn that program. Conversion from RAW is quick and
easy. You'd be able to use your Unix knowledge, or simply boot it into
Windows when as and if needed.

--
John McWilliams