Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Nero Blues?

Nero Blues?

David

Previously, I was able to burn dvds with Nero Express and have those dvds be
readable from any other dvd reader. But when I burned some files (jpg, mov,
avi, and wav) files to a dvd this weekend, I see that the dvds are not
readable on all dvd readers.

Can someone enlighten me as to what might be the issue here?

Bill Funk

On Tue, 30 May 2006 07:10:25 -0700, "David" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Previously, I was able to burn dvds with Nero Express and have those dvds be
>readable from any other dvd reader. But when I burned some files (jpg, mov,
>avi, and wav) files to a dvd this weekend, I see that the dvds are not
>readable on all dvd readers.
>
>Can someone enlighten me as to what might be the issue here?

By "readers", do you mean set-top players?
If so, this is normal; most players won't recognize just the files.
The DVD needs to be burned as a video DVD, which evidently you've been
doing in the past.
--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"

bmoag

Alas, it is a sad fact that many data DVD burns are incorrect and readable
only by the burner that created the disc.

Marvin

David wrote:
> Previously, I was able to burn dvds with Nero Express and have those dvds be
> readable from any other dvd reader. But when I burned some files (jpg, mov,
> avi, and wav) files to a dvd this weekend, I see that the dvds are not
> readable on all dvd readers.
>
> Can someone enlighten me as to what might be the issue here?

DVDs come in +R and -R formats. Not all drives can read
both formats.

Matt Ion

David wrote:
> Previously, I was able to burn dvds with Nero Express and have those dvds be
> readable from any other dvd reader. But when I burned some files (jpg, mov,
> avi, and wav) files to a dvd this weekend, I see that the dvds are not
> readable on all dvd readers.
>
> Can someone enlighten me as to what might be the issue here?

A lot of other half-baked answers... let's put them all together.

What are you trying to read the disc on? Home-theater DVD player?
Another PC?

What type of discs are you using? DVD-R, +R, -RW, +RW? Does the
playback machine support that disc type?

---
THIS TAG ADDED FOR THE SOLE PURPOSE OF
****ING OFF THE SELF-APPOINTED
USENET POLICE. EAT MY SHORTS, PIGS!

Virus Database (VPS): 0622-1, 05/29/2006
Tested on: 5/30/2006 6:39:46 PM

David

"Matt Ion" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> David wrote:
>> Previously, I was able to burn dvds with Nero Express and have those dvds
>> be readable from any other dvd reader. But when I burned some files
>> (jpg, mov, avi, and wav) files to a dvd this weekend, I see that the dvds
>> are not readable on all dvd readers.
>>
>> Can someone enlighten me as to what might be the issue here?

> A lot of other half-baked answers... let's put them all together.
>
> What are you trying to read the disc on? Home-theater DVD player? Another
> PC?
>
> What type of discs are you using? DVD-R, +R, -RW, +RW? Does the playback
> machine support that disc type?

OK, thanks for giving me the opportunity to clarify my situation.

My PC has a Toshiba double layer dvd burner. It also has a dvd reader. I
use Nero, and I have DVD +R disks. Using this configuration, I burned some
dvds a few months ago and the disks I burned are readable in all (PC) drives
that I have used.

I burn my dvds (as well as my CDs) with Nero's Data Disk "wizard". CDs that
I burn are readable on all PC drives.

I tried burning some dvds over the weekend and I see that I am unable to
read the finshed dvds on my reader dvd drive. I am able to read them on
drive that burned them. I brought the dvd to my office, where I have four
computers, and 3 of the 4 machines are unable to read the dvds I burned over
the weekend.

I guess I should try uninstalling and re-installing NEro. But if any of
this sounds familiar, and you know what I am doing wrong, I will try all
suggestions.
Thanks.
David

SimonLW

news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Previously, I was able to burn dvds with Nero Express and have those dvds
> be readable from any other dvd reader. But when I burned some files (jpg,
> mov, avi, and wav) files to a dvd this weekend, I see that the dvds are
> not readable on all dvd readers.
>
> Can someone enlighten me as to what might be the issue here?

For some players to read from a disk burned in another, you may have to
close the session. Closing the session prevents you from writing to that
disk anymore but makes it compatible.
-S

Gene F. Rhodes

It's DVD-R and DVD+R incompatibility and has caused me many headaches.
The blue lazer DVDs will be worse I expect.
Gene

David wrote:

> "Matt Ion" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > David wrote:
> >> Previously, I was able to burn dvds with Nero Express and have those dvds
> >> be readable from any other dvd reader. But when I burned some files
> >> (jpg, mov, avi, and wav) files to a dvd this weekend, I see that the dvds
> >> are not readable on all dvd readers.
> >>
> >> Can someone enlighten me as to what might be the issue here?

> > A lot of other half-baked answers... let's put them all together.
> >
> > What are you trying to read the disc on? Home-theater DVD player? Another
> > PC?
> >
> > What type of discs are you using? DVD-R, +R, -RW, +RW? Does the playback
> > machine support that disc type?

> OK, thanks for giving me the opportunity to clarify my situation.
>
> My PC has a Toshiba double layer dvd burner. It also has a dvd reader. I
> use Nero, and I have DVD +R disks. Using this configuration, I burned some
> dvds a few months ago and the disks I burned are readable in all (PC) drives
> that I have used.
>
> I burn my dvds (as well as my CDs) with Nero's Data Disk "wizard". CDs that
> I burn are readable on all PC drives.
>
> I tried burning some dvds over the weekend and I see that I am unable to
> read the finshed dvds on my reader dvd drive. I am able to read them on
> drive that burned them. I brought the dvd to my office, where I have four
> computers, and 3 of the 4 machines are unable to read the dvds I burned over
> the weekend.
>
> I guess I should try uninstalling and re-installing NEro. But if any of
> this sounds familiar, and you know what I am doing wrong, I will try all
> suggestions.
> Thanks.
> David

David

Well, everything works again. I uninstalled Nero and reinstalled it. The
dvds that I burn now are readable on both my dvd burner and my dvd reader
drive. The dvds that I burned prior to the uninstall/reinstal are still not
readable on my dvd reader drive. Beats the heck out of me what happened
here. I spent a lot of time working this out.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...