Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Ultra-Compacts with new SD 4GB Cards (e.g.Canon Ixus)

Ultra-Compacts with new SD 4GB Cards (e.g.Canon Ixus)

Tomek

Anybody have been tried such a card with this aparat ?
Especially with Ixus 800 IS/ 700/750 ? Does it works smoothly or not ?
Tom

David Sommers

I have 4GB SD cards in both my SD700 IS and my S3 IS. Both cameras fully
support FAT32 and these 4GB cards. And FAT16 for smaller cards works too.
Both cameras will choose FAT16 or FAT32 appropriately when formatting an SD
card. I also tried formatting a 4GB SD card with FAT16 (64K clusters) with
XP and that worked too.

Bye.

"Tomek" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:e5erbn$m5b$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Anybody have been tried such a card with this aparat ? Especially with
> Ixus 800 IS/ 700/750 ? Does it works smoothly or not ?
> Tom

Tomek

Użytkownik "David Sommers" <(E-Mail Removed)> napisał w wiadomości
news:3kDeg.8391$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have 4GB SD cards in both my SD700 IS and my S3 IS. Both cameras fully

700 IS or 800 IS ?

Tomek

And the card's bandwith is of course sufficent for VGA 30fps movie
recording ?

EF in FLA

> Anybody have been tried such a card with this aparat ? Especially with
> Ixus 800 IS/ 700/750 ? Does it works smoothly or not ?

It is always smarter to carry four 1gb cards (or two 2gb cards) than one 4gb
card. It's the all-your-eggs-in-one-basket theory. If a card gets damaged,
at least you'll have backup(s).

ef

george

"EF in FLA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:8VDeg.8570$(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Anybody have been tried such a card with this aparat ? Especially with
>> Ixus 800 IS/ 700/750 ? Does it works smoothly or not ?

> It is always smarter to carry four 1gb cards (or two 2gb cards) than one
> 4gb card. It's the all-your-eggs-in-one-basket theory. If a card gets
> damaged, at least you'll have backup(s).
>
> ef

The flip-side of that thinking is that you'll be changing memory cards 4x as
often and wearing out the camera's contacts 4x as fast, so you have to
strike a reasonable balance between the two. (That is, don't assume that
256 cards of 16MB are better still.) With more cards, you have more wear,
more downtime changing them, you are more likely to damage contacts and the
cards themselves even just from increased handling, more "bookkeeping" to
keep track of which are used and for what, etc., etc., etc. Another
criteria you may wish to consider is back-up...if you back up on CD-ROMs
then 512MB is handy, if you back up on DVD-+R/W then 4GB is a nice size.

George

Alfred Molon

In article <8VDeg.8570$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
says...

> It is always smarter to carry four 1gb cards (or two 2gb cards) than one 4gb
> card. It's the all-your-eggs-in-one-basket theory. If a card gets damaged,
> at least you'll have backup(s).

That also depends on the image size. With the camera I'm using each
image is 23MB (RAW+JPEG), so one 4GB card only holds 170 pictures. I
therefore carry two 4GB cards with me.
--

Alfred Molon

Tomek

Użytkownik "EF in FLA" <(E-Mail Removed)> napisał w wiadomości
news:8VDeg.8570$(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Anybody have been tried such a card with this aparat ? Especially with
>> Ixus 800 IS/ 700/750 ? Does it works smoothly or not ?

> It is always smarter to carry four 1gb cards (or two 2gb cards) than one
> 4gb card. It's the all-your-eggs-in-one-basket theory. If a card gets
> damaged, at least you'll have backup(s).

But If You want to have at once a decent compact camera...

unrecoveredchocoholic

IMHO wearing out your camera's contacts is the least of the worries.
Having had a SD card go bad on me (a "small" 256MB from a very
reputable brand) I would tend to avoid putting all eggs in one basket,
so to speak. You'd have to take quite a few pictures to fill a 4GB
card--that's a lot of battery changes and/or recharge cycles. The main
advantage to a 4GB card over 4 1GB card that I can see is that if you
know where your camera is you know where your memory card is. Those
things are awfully small and easy to misplace, and I'm not convinced
that they are robust enough to carry in a wallet in a back pocket. Of
course if you shoot video the bigger card is also handier.

Dave Martindale

"george" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>The flip-side of that thinking is that you'll be changing memory cards 4x as
>often and wearing out the camera's contacts 4x as fast, so you have to
>strike a reasonable balance between the two. (That is, don't assume that
>256 cards of 16MB are better still.) With more cards, you have more wear,
>more downtime changing them, you are more likely to damage contacts and the
>cards themselves even just from increased handling, more "bookkeeping" to
>keep track of which are used and for what, etc., etc., etc. Another
>criteria you may wish to consider is back-up...if you back up on CD-ROMs
>then 512MB is handy, if you back up on DVD-+R/W then 4GB is a nice size.

The contacts on SD are large and flat, while the contact fingers in SD
sockets are large wiping-type ones reminiscent of USB jacks. They look
pretty robust to me.

This may have been more of a concert with CF cards, where there are a
lot more contacts, the pins in the camera are relatively fragile, and
the sockets in the card could trap dirt of the right size.

The thing I most worry about with SD cards is dropping and losing one.

Dave