Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Newbie buying Nikon D50 SLR Digital Camera

Reply
Thread Tools

Newbie buying Nikon D50 SLR Digital Camera

 
 
Ralph
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-29-2006
Photgraphy is an avocation I enjoy. I owned a Koday D740 for about 2
years. That was the most advanced digital camera I've owned. Took
lots of family pix, I also like to take pix of motorcycle racing. So
having fast processing and fast frames per second is important.

The Kodak camera was a max 5.0 Megapixels. I usually shot 2.1
resolution, and that was fine, as I rarely printed pix, just usually
copied them to my hard drive. But I would like to do a lot more
printing....

But, my Kodak was pretty slow for motorcycle racing. And the button had
to be depressed for about 2 sec's so the camera could focus, prior to
taking the shot. This is not a desirable feature for any kind of fast
sports photography.

I am ready to move up to a better camera. I have done a lot of reading
on forums. I visited a camera store and compared some Digital SLR's.
I think I like the Nikon.

I see some pretty attractive packages on ebay, such as:

Item No 7624038643 includes Camera and 2 lenses:
Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens, and
Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens
extra EN-EL3 Li-ion Battery Pack
Nikon SLR System Case
USB 2.0 High Speed SecureDigital™ Card Reader
buy it now price is $789.

(I have a lot of experience with buying on Ebay, and never had any
problems. I know how to do it and not get ripped off. I've bought items
that cost about 8 times this camera).

Of course, there is higher quality and higher prices. But this is
about the price range I am willing to spend. I don't need anything
more advanced, as I am not planning to do any professional photography.
I've tried to think of all the info I should share, but I'm sure I've
left out some very important info. Many of you have a LOT more
experience than I do. I've never owned a SLR.

What do you think of this camera package at this price for me?

Thanks!!

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
RW+/-
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-29-2006
On 28 May 2006 18:30:13 -0700, Ralph wrote:

> Photgraphy is an avocation I enjoy. I owned a Koday D740 for about 2
> years. That was the most advanced digital camera I've owned. Took
> lots of family pix, I also like to take pix of motorcycle racing. So
> having fast processing and fast frames per second is important.


If its dirt track stuff then you better think twice about it. Dirt in the
camera and all that.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Bill
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-29-2006
Ralph wrote:

>But, my Kodak was pretty slow for motorcycle racing. And the button had
>to be depressed for about 2 sec's so the camera could focus, prior to
>taking the shot. This is not a desirable feature for any kind of fast
>sports photography.
>
>Item No 7624038643 includes Camera and 2 lenses:
>Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens, and
>Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens


The only problem might be the focus speed of the 55-200 for sports
action. That lense is not one of the faster models so you may find that
catching the right focus will require some planning and hitting the
right anticipation point.

The D50 will be much better than the old Kodak, but focus speed is
important in sports and the 55-200 is pretty near the bottom of the pack
for a telephoto zoom - but that's to be expected for a $200 lense.

You can try it out and see how you like it. The faster speed over the
Kodak may be enough for what you do.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Ralph
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-29-2006
Thanks, Bill.
What kind of lens would you recommend? I have never owed a zoom lens
or a detachable lens of any kind.
Thanks!!

 
Reply With Quote
 
Ralph
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-29-2006
Thanks, Bill.
What kind of lens would you recommend? I have never owed a zoom lens
or a detachable lens of any kind.
Thanks!!

 
Reply With Quote
 
Bruce Hoult
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-29-2006
In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
"Ralph" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> But, my Kodak was pretty slow for motorcycle racing. And the button had
> to be depressed for about 2 sec's so the camera could focus, prior to
> taking the shot. This is not a desirable feature for any kind of fast
> sports photography.
>
> I am ready to move up to a better camera. I have done a lot of reading
> on forums. I visited a camera store and compared some Digital SLR's.
> I think I like the Nikon.
>
> I see some pretty attractive packages on ebay, such as:
>
> Item No 7624038643 includes Camera and 2 lenses:
> Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens, and
> Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens
> extra EN-EL3 Li-ion Battery Pack
> Nikon SLR System Case
> USB 2.0 High Speed SecureDigital™ Card Reader
> buy it now price is $789.


This would be good. You'll love it.

The D50 is absolutely fine. I have the D70s, which has only one
advantage over the D50 in this situation: 3 frames per second instead of
2.5. But that's a minor difference compared to the Kodak you're coming
from.

What the D50 wll give you, apart from speed of focus and shooting is:

- high quality live optical viewfinder

- zoom as fast or slow as yhou can turn the ring on the lens

- much geater sensitivity (ISO). You can crank it up to ISO 800 or more
so that the camera needs less light to take the photo, so you can use
faster shutter speeds in dimmer light to freeze the action, and still
get a less noisy picture than the Kodak

- more control over depth of field, so you can focus on the motorcyle
and have the background nicely blurred (or not, if you choose)


If this is what you can spend then go for it! If you can get the
70-300mm lens instead then that is by most accounts a slightly better
lens (while still being inexpensive) and with quite a bit more "reach".

I haven't shot motorcycle racing with my D70 yet, but in January I took
photos at the NZ Gliding Grand Prix, using the cheap (US$110 - US$140)
70-300 lens.

http://flickr.com/photos/brucehoult/...7594079545291/

A lot of these gliders were doing 150 - 190 mph just in front of me e.g.:

http://flickr.com/photos/brucehoult/110784982
http://flickr.com/photos/brucehoult/110782473


You can see the effect of much shallower depth of field than you'll be
used to getting, making the subjects stand out from the background, in
photos such as these:

http://flickr.com/photos/brucehoult/110782813
http://flickr.com/photos/brucehoult/110782523
http://flickr.com/photos/brucehoult/110783844
http://flickr.com/photos/brucehoult/110785662

Good luck!

--
Bruce | 41.1670S | \ spoken | -+-
Hoult | 174.8263E | /\ here. | ----------O----------
 
Reply With Quote
 
J. Clarke
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-29-2006
Ralph wrote:

> Photgraphy is an avocation I enjoy. I owned a Koday D740 for about 2
> years. That was the most advanced digital camera I've owned. Took
> lots of family pix, I also like to take pix of motorcycle racing. So
> having fast processing and fast frames per second is important.
>
> The Kodak camera was a max 5.0 Megapixels. I usually shot 2.1
> resolution, and that was fine, as I rarely printed pix, just usually
> copied them to my hard drive. But I would like to do a lot more
> printing....
>
> But, my Kodak was pretty slow for motorcycle racing. And the button had
> to be depressed for about 2 sec's so the camera could focus, prior to
> taking the shot. This is not a desirable feature for any kind of fast
> sports photography.
>
> I am ready to move up to a better camera. I have done a lot of reading
> on forums. I visited a camera store and compared some Digital SLR's.
> I think I like the Nikon.
>
> I see some pretty attractive packages on ebay, such as:
>
> Item No 7624038643 includes Camera and 2 lenses:
> Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens, and
> Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens
> extra EN-EL3 Li-ion Battery Pack
> Nikon SLR System Case
> USB 2.0 High Speed SecureDigital™ Card Reader
> buy it now price is $789.
>
> (I have a lot of experience with buying on Ebay, and never had any
> problems. I know how to do it and not get ripped off. I've bought items
> that cost about 8 times this camera).


Not a bad price, but if you care about warranty and you are in the US make
sure it has a Nikon USA warranty (not just a "US warranty", some sellers
provide their own warranty that is only as good as they are, and not just a
"Nikon warranty" which might not be valid in the US).

> Of course, there is higher quality and higher prices. But this is
> about the price range I am willing to spend. I don't need anything
> more advanced, as I am not planning to do any professional photography.
> I've tried to think of all the info I should share, but I'm sure I've
> left out some very important info. Many of you have a LOT more
> experience than I do. I've never owned a SLR.
>
> What do you think of this camera package at this price for me?
>
> Thanks!!


--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
 
Reply With Quote
 
Don Stauffer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-29-2006
We bought a D50 in late winter. We've had it for several months now, and
shot a couple thousand frames with it. We love it. Autofocus is fast,
manual focus is easy. Shutter lag is almost imperceptible.


Ralph wrote:
> Photgraphy is an avocation I enjoy. I owned a Koday D740 for about 2
> years. That was the most advanced digital camera I've owned. Took
> lots of family pix, I also like to take pix of motorcycle racing. So
> having fast processing and fast frames per second is important.
>
> The Kodak camera was a max 5.0 Megapixels. I usually shot 2.1
> resolution, and that was fine, as I rarely printed pix, just usually
> copied them to my hard drive. But I would like to do a lot more
> printing....
>
> But, my Kodak was pretty slow for motorcycle racing. And the button had
> to be depressed for about 2 sec's so the camera could focus, prior to
> taking the shot. This is not a desirable feature for any kind of fast
> sports photography.
>
> I am ready to move up to a better camera. I have done a lot of reading
> on forums. I visited a camera store and compared some Digital SLR's.
> I think I like the Nikon.
>
> I see some pretty attractive packages on ebay, such as:
>
> Item No 7624038643 includes Camera and 2 lenses:
> Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens, and
> Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens
> extra EN-EL3 Li-ion Battery Pack
> Nikon SLR System Case
> USB 2.0 High Speed SecureDigital™ Card Reader
> buy it now price is $789.
>
> (I have a lot of experience with buying on Ebay, and never had any
> problems. I know how to do it and not get ripped off. I've bought items
> that cost about 8 times this camera).
>
> Of course, there is higher quality and higher prices. But this is
> about the price range I am willing to spend. I don't need anything
> more advanced, as I am not planning to do any professional photography.
> I've tried to think of all the info I should share, but I'm sure I've
> left out some very important info. Many of you have a LOT more
> experience than I do. I've never owned a SLR.
>
> What do you think of this camera package at this price for me?
>
> Thanks!!
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
A.Clews@DENTURESsussex.ac.uk
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-29-2006
Thus spake RW+/- ((E-Mail Removed)) unto the assembled multitudes:
> On 28 May 2006 18:30:13 -0700, Ralph wrote:


>> Photgraphy is an avocation I enjoy. I owned a Koday D740 for about 2
>> years. That was the most advanced digital camera I've owned. Took
>> lots of family pix, I also like to take pix of motorcycle racing. So
>> having fast processing and fast frames per second is important.


> If its dirt track stuff then you better think twice about it. Dirt in the
> camera and all that.


(1) Put a UV filter on the front of the lens to protect it, and (2) enclose
the camera in a transparent plastic bag (with a hole for the lens). That
should help protect your pride and joy and allow you to shoot in adverse
conditions.

--

Andy Clews
University of Sussex
Remove DENTURES if replying by email
 
Reply With Quote
 
Jeroen Wenting
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-29-2006
>I am ready to move up to a better camera. I have done a lot of reading
>on forums. I visited a camera store and compared some Digital SLR's.
>I think I like the Nikon.


Good choice.

>I see some pretty attractive packages on ebay, such as:


>Item No 7624038643 includes Camera and 2 lenses:
>buy it now price is $789.


That's about the price you would pay in a store for a camera with no
warranty or service...
Buy local, you get better service and a warranty you can rely upon.
And no chance of never getting the item after paying (which does happen a
lot with cameras on eBay).

And support your local store. You already made them spend money on you by
visiting them and taking up their time (and possibly handling their
equipment).
Repay them by giving them your business. They're not much more expensive and
if you value having them around for years to come you should support them.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
entry level digital SLR recommandation. nikon D50 or D40 or any other cameras.TIA jamie kim Digital Photography 2 03-06-2007 12:25 AM
buying a lens for my nikon D50 banjo Digital Photography 6 02-10-2007 12:40 AM
January 2007 - The Nikon D80 digital slr is still Nikon's most popular camera george@dpmac.com Digital Photography 1 01-08-2007 10:06 AM
Nikon - D70 Digital SLR Camera w/Sigma Two-Lens Kit Phar Phoo Digital Photography 3 06-02-2005 06:03 AM
Digital Photography RFD: rec.photo.digital.slr vs rec.photo.digital.slr-systems? Lionel Digital Photography 16 09-17-2004 12:48 PM



Advertisments