Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon manuals

Canon manuals

Don Stauffer

Recently bought a Canon A530 to replace my now defunct old Oly 3000.
Nice camera but the manual sure stinks! We bought a Nikon D50 earlier
in the year- what a difference. Canon may make good cameras, but they
sure cannot produce a manual for their products.

This is particularly a problem as cameras get more complex with more
features and multitudes of options. These options are useless if the
consumer cannot understand how to invoke them.

Canon and other Japanese companies are big firms with millions in
income. I suspect one problem is that manuals are not written in
English by native english speakers. I'd suggest they hire editing
consultants who WERE native english speakers.

Bob Salomon

In article <1iEdg.13$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Don Stauffer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Canon and other Japanese companies are big firms with millions in
> income. I suspect one problem is that manuals are not written in
> English by native english speakers.

Then why did you like the Nikon manual?

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.

BD

>I'd suggest they hire editing consultants who WERE native english speakers.

Then my suggestion to you would be to draft a document - include the
portions of the manual that are worded poorly, include how you would
word the same portions, outline why your way reads better, and offer
your services as a proofer.

My brother did that - not for a camera, but for some little device he
bought in Japan, where the English in the document was truly abysmal -
and once he showed them the 'right way' to word the documentation, they
were all over it. They asked him what he'd charge to do their entire
gamut of documents.

In short - while I don't disagree with you at all in what you're saying
- don't tell _us_; tell _them_.

BD

Shawn Hirn

In article <1iEdg.13$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Don Stauffer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Recently bought a Canon A530 to replace my now defunct old Oly 3000.
> Nice camera but the manual sure stinks! We bought a Nikon D50 earlier
> in the year- what a difference. Canon may make good cameras, but they
> sure cannot produce a manual for their products.
>
> This is particularly a problem as cameras get more complex with more
> features and multitudes of options. These options are useless if the
> consumer cannot understand how to invoke them.
>
> Canon and other Japanese companies are big firms with millions in
> income. I suspect one problem is that manuals are not written in
> English by native english speakers. I'd suggest they hire editing
> consultants who WERE native english speakers.

Posting a suggestion here does not good unless you also send your
suggestion to Canon's CEO.

Paul Rubin

Don Stauffer <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> Recently bought a Canon A530 to replace my now defunct old Oly
> 3000. Nice camera but the manual sure stinks!

I just bought an A530 too. Its design isn't perfect, but I hadn't
noticed its manual as being especially bad (might reflect the sorry
state of what I'm used to). What did you have trouble with?

Dave Cohen

Don Stauffer wrote:
> Recently bought a Canon A530 to replace my now defunct old Oly 3000.
> Nice camera but the manual sure stinks! We bought a Nikon D50 earlier
> in the year- what a difference. Canon may make good cameras, but they
> sure cannot produce a manual for their products.
>
> This is particularly a problem as cameras get more complex with more
> features and multitudes of options. These options are useless if the
> consumer cannot understand how to invoke them.
>
> Canon and other Japanese companies are big firms with millions in
> income. I suspect one problem is that manuals are not written in
> English by native english speakers. I'd suggest they hire editing
> consultants who WERE native english speakers.

I've found them to be adequate. No complaints over their English.
Dave Cohen

garlicpickle@hotmail.com

Don Stauffer wrote:
> Recently bought a Canon A530 to replace my now defunct old Oly 3000.
> Nice camera but the manual sure stinks! We bought a Nikon D50 earlier
> in the year- what a difference. Canon may make good cameras, but they
> sure cannot produce a manual for their products.
>
> This is particularly a problem as cameras get more complex with more
> features and multitudes of options. These options are useless if the
> consumer cannot understand how to invoke them.
>
> Canon and other Japanese companies are big firms with millions in
> income. I suspect one problem is that manuals are not written in
> English by native english speakers. I'd suggest they hire editing
> consultants who WERE native english speakers.

Well it doesn't seem to be true across the Canon board, because I found
the manual for my EOS 30D to be written in very good English.
Mark

gpsman

Don Stauffer wrote: <brevity snip>w to invoke them.

> Canon and other Japanese companies are big firms with millions in
> income. I suspect one problem is that manuals are not written in
> English by native english speakers. I'd suggest they hire editing
> consultants who WERE native english speakers.

Gee, this has been obvious (to me) about practically every Japanese
product I've owned since... about 1965 (I was 10).

The only answer that comes to mind (mine) is that they don't give a
****. Why should they? Foreigners have been dealing with it for at
least 40 years, hasn't harmed sales figures yet. What are the chances
this hasn't been mentioned before now?!

Occam's Razor.
-----

- gpsman

Scott in Florida

On 30 May 2006 13:52:58 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Don Stauffer wrote:
>> Recently bought a Canon A530 to replace my now defunct old Oly 3000.
>> Nice camera but the manual sure stinks! We bought a Nikon D50 earlier
>> in the year- what a difference. Canon may make good cameras, but they
>> sure cannot produce a manual for their products.
>>
>> This is particularly a problem as cameras get more complex with more
>> features and multitudes of options. These options are useless if the
>> consumer cannot understand how to invoke them.
>>
>> Canon and other Japanese companies are big firms with millions in
>> income. I suspect one problem is that manuals are not written in
>> English by native english speakers. I'd suggest they hire editing
>> consultants who WERE native english speakers.

>Well it doesn't seem to be true across the Canon board, because I found
>the manual for my EOS 30D to be written in very good English.
>Mark

Same for the 5D...

--

Scott in Florida

Bill Funk

On Fri, 26 May 2006 09:30:19 -0500, Don Stauffer
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Recently bought a Canon A530 to replace my now defunct old Oly 3000.
>Nice camera but the manual sure stinks! We bought a Nikon D50 earlier
>in the year- what a difference. Canon may make good cameras, but they
>sure cannot produce a manual for their products.
>
>This is particularly a problem as cameras get more complex with more
>features and multitudes of options. These options are useless if the
>consumer cannot understand how to invoke them.
>
>Canon and other Japanese companies are big firms with millions in
>income. I suspect one problem is that manuals are not written in
>English by native english speakers. I'd suggest they hire editing
>consultants who WERE native english speakers.

My 30D's manual is very readable (for what it is - a manual).
My DRebel's was, too.
But I have seen many that seem to have been translated from Japanese
to English by a Laplander who understood neither.
"Please to insert Tab B through Slot B, possibly with action."
--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"