Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Closeups with Sony ?

Closeups with Sony ?

CSM1

"Talal Itani" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> Thank you for your informative reply. I have been using the camera at
> it's 6cm minimum range, with macro on, and widest angle. I need to take
> photographs of gems, like diamonds and rubies, so I do need to get closer
> than 6 cm. So far, I have been setting the camera to it's high
> resolution, and then use image editing program to crop, but with this, I
> cannot see very
> well the item on the LCD screen while taking the photos. I had hoped I
> can turn digital zoom on, analog zoom off, and set the camera to low
> resolution, in order to achieve cropping in the camera, but I could not do
> that. Analog zoom always gets activated before digital zoom. You
> mentioned other cameras. Are you referring to digital SLRs? I never
> tried a digital SLR. I am considering a digital Rebel, but I worry I may
> purchase it and get disappointed. I got used to looking at the LCD
> display, when taking shots. I would appreciate further information from
> you. Thanks!
>

>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I own a Sony DSC-P200 digital camera and I am very please with it. I
>>> now need to take pictures of very small objects, like watches and rings.
>>> I am not able to get very close to the object with my Sony. Is there a
>>> macro lens that I can attach to this camera? Is there a trick? Thank
>>> you very much.
>>>
>>> Bye

>> In wide angle mode with macro, the camera can get to within 6 cm (about
>> 2.5 inches). Do you need to get closer? PS--in telephoto, you can only
>> get as close as 30 cm (about a foot--no better than if the macro button
>> is disengaged)--and when between wide angle and tele, the closest macro
>> is in between, so the closest macro will be done with the camera in full
>> wide angle with the macro button engaged:
>>
>> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydscp200/ (note that there are 10
>> pages in this review so be sure to click the <next> buttons at the bottom
>> of each page.
>>
>> It doesn't look like an adapter is available to use filters or close-up
>> lenses, so you may be stuck with what's mentioned above. The pricier
>> cameras either have optional filter adapters available--or have built-in
>> threads to accept filters and close-up lenses--and these'd really let you
>> get closer.
>>
>> One further thought. Given that this is a 7 MP camera, use the highest
>> quality setting (3072x2304 pixels). With this, you can crop the photo
>> with photo editing software and have the watch/ring fill the entire
>> resulting image.
>>
>> Craig

There is a conversion lens adapter for the Sony DSC-P200. It is a VAD-PHC
Lens Adapter.
$29.99 at Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=502394

$20.99 here:
http://www.superwarehouse.com/Sony_3...D-PHC/p/491162

$26.95 at B&H.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ist&sku=392153

And if you search Google for "VAD-PHC" without quotes, you get a lot of
hits.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

Bill Funk

On Thu, 25 May 2006 12:02:20 GMT, "Talal Itani" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Which point and shoot digital camera has decent macro capability?

We have a Canon S2 IS, and it goes down to 0(zero) cm; the current S3
IS does the same.
--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"

J. Clarke

Talal Itani wrote:

> Which point and shoot digital camera has decent macro capability?

Nikon Coolpix 950, 990, and 995 among older models, among current ones the
Canon S2-IS and S3-IS.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Talal Itani

Sony has "telephoto conversion lenses" for their point and shoot digital
cameras. Can these filters help me in my very closeup shots?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...Fencoding=UTF8

Thanks!

David Ruether

This would not be the best option. Add first the adapter ring
mentioned above, then a close up lens (single element) or
"achromat" (two elements, for better sharpness) of the desired
power for the magnification you want (you will probably need
to experiment - but a mid value will give you less magnification
at WA, more at tele, possibly about what you want) of the right
thread size (you can get adapter rings to match different thread
sizes). A good dealer, like www.bhphotovideo.com , can
probably advise on parts if you buy from them. BTW, I prefer
the Nikon close-up lenses and achromats (all are about $40
each, I think), and 52mm ones can be adapted up or down to
fit the filter size of the adapter ring on the camera.
--
David Ruether
(E-Mail Removed)

michaelnewport@yahoo.com

David Ruether wrote:
> This would not be the best option. Add first the adapter ring
> mentioned above, then a close up lens (single element) or
> "achromat" (two elements, for better sharpness) of the desired
> power for the magnification you want (you will probably need
> to experiment - but a mid value will give you less magnification
> at WA, more at tele, possibly about what you want) of the right
> thread size (you can get adapter rings to match different thread
> sizes). A good dealer, like www.bhphotovideo.com , can
> probably advise on parts if you buy from them. BTW, I prefer
> the Nikon close-up lenses and achromats (all are about $40
> each, I think), and 52mm ones can be adapted up or down to
> fit the filter size of the adapter ring on the camera.
> --
> David Ruether
> (E-Mail Removed)
> (E-Mail Removed)
> http://www.ferrario.com/ruether
>
> "Talal Itani" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:ngCdg.7543$p13.7431@trnddc07...
> >
> > Sony has "telephoto conversion lenses" for their point and shoot digital cameras. Can these filters help me in my very closeup
> > shots? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...Fencoding=UTF8
> >
> > Thanks!

how about scanning ?