Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Disk not formatted - ?

Disk not formatted - ?

Tom

Just tried to transfer a few pics and got message that the disk is not
formatted. I've previously transferred pics from this camera with no
problems, does this mean the media has somehow become corrupted? If I
click OK to format, I'll lose the pics in the camera?

--

Suburbia is where the developer bulldozes out the trees,
then names the streets after them.

....Bill Vaughn

AZ Nomad

On Tue, 23 May 2006 20:34:01 -0700, Tom <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Just tried to transfer a few pics and got message that the disk is not
>formatted. I've previously transferred pics from this camera with no
>problems, does this mean the media has somehow become corrupted? If I
>click OK to format, I'll lose the pics in the camera?

yes.

You probably pulled the 'disk' out while it was being written to.
If you reformat, you'll lose the pictures.

You might be able to recover the pictures at a PC.

Tom

AZ Nomad <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>Just tried to transfer a few pics and got message that the disk is not
>>formatted. I've previously transferred pics from this camera with no
>>problems, does this mean the media has somehow become corrupted? If I
>>click OK to format, I'll lose the pics in the camera?

>You probably pulled the 'disk' out while it was being written to.
>If you reformat, you'll lose the pictures.
>You might be able to recover the pictures at a PC.

The SmartCard didn't move, it's in the camera. I was transferring
from the camera to the PC.

--

Suburbia is where the developer bulldozes out the trees,
then names the streets after them.

....Bill Vaughn

Bob Williams

Tom wrote:

> Just tried to transfer a few pics and got message that the disk is not
> formatted. I've previously transferred pics from this camera with no
> problems, does this mean the media has somehow become corrupted? If I
> click OK to format, I'll lose the pics in the camera?

Try putting it into a card reader.
Sometimes it is a problem with the camera software.
Do not format the card until you have exhausted all suggestions.
There are some free programs that may help you recover the images. Go to
Google to find some names.
Bob Williams

Dave Cohen

Bob Williams wrote:

> Tom wrote:
>
>> Just tried to transfer a few pics and got message that the disk is not
>> formatted. I've previously transferred pics from this camera with no
>> problems, does this mean the media has somehow become corrupted? If I
>> click OK to format, I'll lose the pics in the camera?

> Try putting it into a card reader.
> Sometimes it is a problem with the camera software.
> Do not format the card until you have exhausted all suggestions.
> There are some free programs that may help you recover the images. Go to
> Google to find some names.
> Bob Williams

This one seems to work about as good as my PhotoRescue and its free:
http://www.vaiosoft.com/products/recoverymanager.html
Dave Cohen

tnom@mucks.net

Whatever you do if you do format do it in
the camera, not with a computer

Tom

>Whatever you do if you do format do it in
>the camera, not with a computer

Good point, thanks.

--

Suburbia is where the developer bulldozes out the trees,
then names the streets after them.

....Bill Vaughn

Tom

Any idea what would cause it to suddenly require formatting? Does it
mean the card's going bad, or somehow became corrupted?