Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Before/ after advertisments

Before/ after advertisments

JohnH

How can you tell how valid this type of comparison is?
http://www.fotofacialrf.com/before_afters.html
John

frederick

JohnH wrote:
> How can you tell how valid this type of comparison is?
> http://www.fotofacialrf.com/before_afters.html
> John

After a quick look at those photos, it looks to me like the "after"
shots are less well in focus, and with a difference in contrast/colour
balance/saturation that could make them look a bit better than they
might have otherwise looked - if they were taken under identical
conditions to the "before" shots.
Look at the colours of the iris of the eyes and the lips - I expect that
if the colour balance / levels of the "after" shots was adjusted so that
these features matched the "before" shots, then the improvement after
treatment would appear to be less dramatic. It would be reasonably
simple to do that.
Deliberate deception? - perhaps not - it would be simple to use makeup
and/or post-processing the images to achieve that. Most likely several
shots were taken, and the samples shown were chosen because they "showed
the improvement best", without anticipating scrutiny such as yours.

Paul Heslop

JohnH wrote:

> How can you tell how valid this type of comparison is?
> http://www.fotofacialrf.com/before_afters.html
> John

Nowadays? probably almost impossible, except when they do that magic
morphing thing on shopping channels, the ones where they have the big
fat woman from neck down suddenly turn into a slender and toned woman,
and obviously a different one, which is one of the reasons you don't
see her head :O)

--
Paul (Wake up the dawn and ask her why)
Stop and Look

=?iso-8859-1?Q?M=E5ns_Rullg=E5rd?=

frederick <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> JohnH wrote:
>> How can you tell how valid this type of comparison is?
>> http://www.fotofacialrf.com/before_afters.html
>> John

> After a quick look at those photos, it looks to me like the "after"
> shots are less well in focus, and with a difference in contrast/colour
> balance/saturation that could make them look a bit better than they
> might have otherwise looked - if they were taken under identical
> conditions to the "before" shots.
> Look at the colours of the iris of the eyes and the lips - I expect
> that if the colour balance / levels of the "after" shots was adjusted
> so that these features matched the "before" shots, then the
> improvement after treatment would appear to be less dramatic. It
> would be reasonably simple to do that.
> Deliberate deception? - perhaps not - it would be simple to use makeup
> and/or post-processing the images to achieve that. Most likely
> several shots were taken, and the samples shown were chosen because
> they "showed the improvement best", without anticipating scrutiny such
> as yours.

Those are at least different photos. I've seen ads for things like
hair-loss treatment where the "before" and "after" images were
obviously exactly the same, either or both simply photoshopped a
little.

--
Måns Rullgård

Paul Heslop

Måns Rullgård wrote:

> frederick <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
> > JohnH wrote:
> >> How can you tell how valid this type of comparison is?
> >> http://www.fotofacialrf.com/before_afters.html
> >> John

> > After a quick look at those photos, it looks to me like the "after"
> > shots are less well in focus, and with a difference in contrast/colour
> > balance/saturation that could make them look a bit better than they
> > might have otherwise looked - if they were taken under identical
> > conditions to the "before" shots.
> > Look at the colours of the iris of the eyes and the lips - I expect
> > that if the colour balance / levels of the "after" shots was adjusted
> > so that these features matched the "before" shots, then the
> > improvement after treatment would appear to be less dramatic. It
> > would be reasonably simple to do that.
> > Deliberate deception? - perhaps not - it would be simple to use makeup
> > and/or post-processing the images to achieve that. Most likely
> > several shots were taken, and the samples shown were chosen because
> > they "showed the improvement best", without anticipating scrutiny such
> > as yours.

> Those are at least different photos. I've seen ads for things like
> hair-loss treatment where the "before" and "after" images were
> obviously exactly the same, either or both simply photoshopped a
> little.
>
> --
> Måns Rullgård
> (E-Mail Removed)

Reminding me of those teeth whiteners where it is obvious they have
dulled the image before the treatment, if not downright painted the
'bad' teeth yellow or grey.

--
Paul (Wake up the dawn and ask her why)
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

J. Clarke

JohnH wrote:

> How can you tell how valid this type of comparison is?
> http://www.fotofacialrf.com/before_afters.html

Well, any portrait photographer who made a living off of shooting school
classes is used to cleaning up worse than that. I suspect that they have
things a lot easier with Photoshop than they did when they had to do it in
the darkroom.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

MB

I have a hazel and a blue eye-- from the beginning. For my high school
portrait (a thousand years ago), the photographer refused to print the photo
"as is" but retouched to make both eyes the same: he said he didn't want
anyone to think he'd made a mistake-- however that would have been possible
I don't know. Needless to say, it was pre-digital, although not pre-color
film, times.

J. Clarke

MB wrote:

> I have a hazel and a blue eye-- from the beginning. For my high school
> portrait (a thousand years ago), the photographer refused to print the
> photo "as is" but retouched to make both eyes the same: he said he didn't
> want anyone to think he'd made a mistake-- however that would have been
> possible
> I don't know. Needless to say, it was pre-digital, although not pre-color
> film, times.

I think that's taking things a bit far. Cleaning up zits is one thing,
changing eye color is another.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Dennis P. Harris

On Wed, 24 May 2006 10:43:49 +0200 in rec.photo.digital, "MB"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> For my high school
> portrait (a thousand years ago), the photographer refused to print the photo
> "as is" but retouched to make both eyes the same: he said he didn't want
> anyone to think he'd made a mistake-- however that would have been possible
> I don't know. Needless to say, it was pre-digital, although not pre-color
> film, times.

I would have refused to pay him and gone to another photographer.