Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > How was this photo created?

How was this photo created?

MarkČ

Mark wrote:
> Despite the other posts about large appeture lenses, this image was
> photoshopped.

That may well be...but they could have done it without it.
Large aperture, shallow DOF, and a vignetting lens.
Photoshop can also be used to mimic these things...

brett wrote:

> Would this be the same kind of thing or is that just f-stop:
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/gazowana/3653794/

In my opinion, slightly out if focus makes the image
look really out of focus, especially if it is the
background. Here are some examples of wide apertures
compared to background distance to make pleasing backgrounds:

Minimal blur:
http://www.clarkvision.com/galleries...ght.f-600.html

http://www.clarkvision.com/galleries...arl.d-700.html

Pleasant blur:
http://www.clarkvision.com/galleries...unset-600.html

http://www.clarkvision.com/galleries...lho.c-600.html

http://www.clarkvision.com/galleries...149.f-700.html

Complete background blur:
http://www.clarkvision.com/galleries...972.c-700.html

http://www.clarkvision.com/galleries....head-600.html

Roger

brett

I guess it's the "pop" I'm after that some one described above. It
seems to be done with the flash. The background is blurred enough that
you can still tell what is going on.

Brett

Barry L. Wallis

l e o wrote:
> Barry L. Wallis wrote:
>> brett wrote:
>>> How are photos such as this one created?
>>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeremycowart/29402198/
>>>
>>> The background is a kind of blur while the foreground is extremely
>>> crisp and has different light. It looks as though the foreground
>>> subject was almost pasted into the photo. Is that just f-stop or is
>>> there more to it?
>>>
>>> If any one has seen the movie 'High Art', there were a few of these
>>> types of photos on the apartment walls.

>> I've done something similar in the Gimp by selecting the subject,
>> inverting the selection and using a Gaussian blur on the background.
>> You can see the original here:
>> <http://www.flickr.com/photos/barrywallis/125316278/> and the edited
>> version here: <http://www.flickr.com/photos/barrywallis/151711780/>.

> See the problem of editing? The edges of the wings are blurred.

Yep, getting everything right in the camera at the pre-pixel stage is
always better. This was my first attempt at doing this. I've since
gotten much better at this type of editing (and more critical of my own
work).

--
- Barry

Mark

The original background shot was in focus. The blur was done afterwards in
photoshop.

The model was shot with studio lighting..

The model was then cut and pasted on top of the background, although they
done a pretty good job with the hair.

Then some colour adjustment and tweaks, and there you have it.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

bjw@mambo.ucolick.org

2 wrote:
> "Mark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote :
> > Despite the other posts about large appeture lenses, this image was
> > photoshopped.

> Show me.

I don't know how that image was made. (If you wrote to the
photographer he might tell you.) However, I have noticed that
PS-applied blur can look a little funny because the blur is usually
the same size everywhere in the image plane. In contrast the
amount of blur caused by limited depth of field varies with distance:
more blur farther from the focus point. I can't prove it but the
blur in that image looks fairly uniform - the background trees
are blurred about as much as the intermediate-ground
boy, fence, grass.

Mark

Yes, that was one of the give-a-way signs and this is one of the major
things I notices straight away. The bloke in the background has the same
amount of blur as the distant trees.

Also, look at the lighting and the shoulder of the model...

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...

> I don't know how that image was made. (If you wrote to the
> photographer he might tell you.) However, I have noticed that
> PS-applied blur can look a little funny because the blur is usually
> the same size everywhere in the image plane. In contrast the
> amount of blur caused by limited depth of field varies with distance:
> more blur farther from the focus point. I can't prove it but the
> blur in that image looks fairly uniform - the background trees
> are blurred about as much as the intermediate-ground
> boy, fence, grass.

Frank Pittel

It's not hard at all. Set the camera to ~1/15sec and use a flash.
Since the flash duration is very short the camera is held steady
long enough for the forground to appear sharp. The background is
blurred.

Try it sometime. It can be fun.

brett <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: How are photos such as this one created?
: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeremycowart/29402198/

: The background is a kind of blur while the foreground is extremely
: crisp and has different light. It looks as though the foreground
: subject was almost pasted into the photo. Is that just f-stop or is
: there more to it?

: If any one has seen the movie 'High Art', there were a few of these
: types of photos on the apartment walls.

: Thanks,
: Brett

--