Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Large optical zoom

Large optical zoom

yellowwolf

Gents
Which compact digital camera combines the largest optical zoom with an image
stabilizer?
I will primarily be doing aviation photography
Cheers
Stephen

Remove nospam to reply

--
In regione caecorum rex est luscus

Conrad

Hi Yellow,

You might want to look at the Panasonic. 12x optical, IS, Leica lens, 8
MP. Friend bought one at Costco for $500. Light in weight also. Size of
sensor?

Best,

Conrad
Camp Sherman, OR

J. Clarke

yellowwolf wrote:

> Gents
> Which compact digital camera combines the largest optical zoom with an
> image stabilizer?

There are several that go to the equivalent of 432mm, but none longer that I
am aware of. If you need RAW mode then the Panasonic FZ30 would be a good
choice, otherwise the Canon S3-IS perhaps.

With a Canon DSLR you can go to the equivalent of 1920 mm but you'll pay
quite a lot for that and it will be a _huge_ chunk of glass.

Note that the finder in point-and-shoots has a little bit of lag--this might
be a problem in some cases when tracking fast moving objects.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

Joseph Meehan

yellowwolf wrote:
> Gents
> Which compact digital camera combines the largest optical zoom with
> an image stabilizer?
> I will primarily be doing aviation photography
> Cheers
> Stephen
>
> Remove nospam to reply

I suggest you look at Digital SLRs (Nikon, Canon others) They are
going to be expensive but what you want is there.

http://www.dpreview.com/

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

J. Clarke wrote:

> yellowwolf wrote:
>

>>Gents
>>Which compact digital camera combines the largest optical zoom with an
>>image stabilizer?

> There are several that go to the equivalent of 432mm, but none longer that I
> am aware of. If you need RAW mode then the Panasonic FZ30 would be a good
> choice, otherwise the Canon S3-IS perhaps.

This page has some images from FZ cameras:

A Photographic Image Quality Test Using the Moon
http://www.clarkvision.com/imagedetail/moon-test1

(I have a lot more to add, but I've been on travel).

The FZ cameras are quite impressive and make good images,
comparable to DSLRs of the same equivalent focal length
at low ISO, if you don't try and upsize them (the images
start to fall apart when you upsize them to make bigger
enlargements compared to higher signal-to-noise DSLR images).
Even so, very nice 8x10s should be possible, perhaps
even 11x14s (depending on subject and your standards).

Roger

snapper@mailinator.com

On Sun, 21 May 2006 11:01:46 GMT, "yellowwolf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Gents
> Which compact digital camera combines the largest optical zoom with an image
> stabilizer?
> I will primarily be doing aviation photography

Canon S3 IS.