Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Air travel w/photo equipment

Air travel w/photo equipment

cal

Hi, folks.

I'm going to Yeloowstone and the Teton in early June. Flying United.
I want to take my 20d, 4 lenses, a tripod and two heads, Gitzo ball
and King Pano. all the camera stuff fits in a Tamrac backpack which
will carry on, I think. I think ai must pack the tripod and head in a
suitcase with my clothing.

Any advice, experience, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

cal

Cynicor

cal wrote:
> Hi, folks.
>
> I'm going to Yeloowstone and the Teton in early June. Flying United.
> I want to take my 20d, 4 lenses, a tripod and two heads, Gitzo ball
> and King Pano. all the camera stuff fits in a Tamrac backpack which
> will carry on, I think. I think ai must pack the tripod and head in a
> suitcase with my clothing.
>
> Any advice, experience, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I have always just taken the backpack on as my second bag, then tossed
any tripods in my checked luggage. Check with your airline to see if
they will let you carry on a third bag if one is camera gear.

k-man

> Hi, folks.
>
> I'm going to Yeloowstone and the Teton in early June. Flying United. I
> want to take my 20d, 4 lenses, a tripod and two heads, Gitzo ball and King
> Pano. all the camera stuff fits in a Tamrac backpack which will carry on,
> I think. I think ai must pack the tripod and head in a suitcase with my
> clothing.
>

> Any advice, experience, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>

> cal

I often travel with a tripod and backpack full of equipment as well --
both within the US and internationally, I've always put the tripod
into a suitcase, partly because I always think that gate security will
think it's a pipe bomb and partly so that I have don't have to carry
around a tripod around the airport. As for the backpack, loaded not
just with a camera body, lenses and a flash but also an iPOD, usb drive
and sometimes other electronic stuff, sometimes it's searched and
sometimes it's not. Depends on who's working the x-ray machine at the
time. My backpack (lowepro mini trekker aw) fits in the overhead bins
and even right at my feet if necessary. So, taking it onto a plane
hasn't been a problem.

Kevin

"cal" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I'm going to Yeloowstone and the Teton in early June. Flying United.
> I want to take my 20d, 4 lenses, a tripod and two heads, Gitzo ball
> and King Pano.

You can bring it all on-board, no problem, but you have to be naked.

MarkČ

cal wrote:
> Hi, folks.
>
> I'm going to Yeloowstone and the Teton in early June. Flying United.
> I want to take my 20d, 4 lenses, a tripod and two heads, Gitzo ball
> and King Pano. all the camera stuff fits in a Tamrac backpack which
> will carry on, I think. I think ai must pack the tripod and head in a
> suitcase with my clothing.
>
> Any advice, experience, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

You shouldn't have any problem bring the pack as a carry on.
I've recently carried on my full LowePro backpack, plus my LowePro Orion as
a second.
My tripod goes in the suitcase.

I had a similar question a few days ago, but only because I'm traveling to
Ukraine. European carry-on regulations are much more restrictive regarding
weight. You shouldn't see any trouble at all on United within the US (or
likely elsewhere). Most of my air domestic air travel has been on United,
and I've had no problems at all.

-Mark

Michael Meissner

cal <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Hi, folks.
>
> I'm going to Yeloowstone and the Teton in early June. Flying United.
> I want to take my 20d, 4 lenses, a tripod and two heads, Gitzo ball
> and King Pano. all the camera stuff fits in a Tamrac backpack which
> will carry on, I think. I think ai must pack the tripod and head in a
> suitcase with my clothing.

Note, if you fly the smaller commuter airlines, note that the carry on space is
much smaller than if you fly the larger jets. Also, if you get loaded last,
there may not be that much space. For best results, you should make sure your
stuff can fit underneath the seat.

--
Michael Meissner
http://www.the-meissners.org

Jim Townsend

cal wrote:

> Hi, folks.
>
> I'm going to Yeloowstone and the Teton in early June. Flying United.
> I want to take my 20d, 4 lenses, a tripod and two heads, Gitzo ball
> and King Pano. all the camera stuff fits in a Tamrac backpack which
> will carry on, I think. I think ai must pack the tripod and head in a
> suitcase with my clothing.
>
> Any advice, experience, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I carry my camera and lenses with my carry on luggage.

I pack my tripod in my check-in suitcase.. (It doesn't fit in my camera
bag). I like to travel light and don't like lugging a lot of extra 'stuff'
on planes and around airports.

Roger

On Sat, 20 May 2006 21:51:30 -0400, cal <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi, folks.
>
>I'm going to Yeloowstone and the Teton in early June. Flying United.
>I want to take my 20d, 4 lenses, a tripod and two heads, Gitzo ball
>and King Pano. all the camera stuff fits in a Tamrac backpack which
>will carry on, I think. I think ai must pack the tripod and head in a
>suitcase with my clothing.
>
>Any advice, experience, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Years ago I used to fly on company business quite a bit. I purchased
one of the larger brief cases that will expand. I carried my notes,
two Nikons, about a dozen rolls of film, and 4 lenses as well as at
least two changes of clothes, a light weight rain coat, flashlight,
and spares for any prescriptions which were split between carry one
and checked luggage.

I used soft lens cases with two lenses in each separated by two pair
of socks balled together. The 75 to 300 was so long it had to go into
one case by itself but it still was cushioned by socks.

One time when they checked the brief case the guy at the counter was
amazed at the amount of *stuff* I had in there and particularly the
socks between the lenses. My comment was that as long as it was
called a "brief" case I figured I'd use it as one.

Before they limited carry ons, I had the largest carry on I could
find. The thing was like a duffle bag with a side carry strap and
zipper down the side. It was not a fun thing to haul between gates
when you had little time and your next flight was on the other side of
the terminal. That thing would just nicely fill one overhead bin.
Well it would with a bit of work.

We had landed at Cleveland from Boston (behind schedule) and I was in
a hurry to catch my commuter flight up here as it was due to leave
about 5 minutes after we landed. One stu knew I was in a hurry. She
opened the overhead and grabbed the carry strap. I hollered "don't
pull", but I was too late. At least I was able to catch most of the
force but it put her back into the row of seats across the aisle. She
said that was a bit abrupt if I used it as a method to meet girls.
(Actually we both ended up in that row of seats) No injuries and I
was old enough to be her father. Besides when you travel a route a
lot you sometimes get to know some of the crew.

Naturally my gate was at the other end of the concourse. They called
ahead and I head some one holler "We got a runner for Saginaw!". The
bus out to the commuter had already left but they put me on a
different one that dropped me off. The copilot was on the steps while
the pilot was leaning out one side of the door and the stu out the
other. There was only one vacant seat and no smiling faces. Did I
mention the temperature was about 95 and so was the humidity. The
inside of that commuter was like a chicken coop at high noon and
smelled about the same. It sure felt good when they got the engines
running so the air conditioning came on.

At least I didn't have to spend the night at Cleveland as the next
flight wasn't until the next morning.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
>cal

simon

Can't comment for the US - but having just got back from South America...
I was surprised to see one or two people get away with carrying tripods on
board...
I didn't have then confidence to try myself - working on the theory that a
tripod when extended would make a nice Bat - which could be used to assault
crew or passengers! It was enough of a worry to me that check in staff would
see it that way - and that I'd be prevented from carrying it
so I broke it down and packed it...

SS

Joan

Not to mention the damage it would do if the overhead locker opened
during flight - and they have been known to do so.

--
Joan

"simon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:e4pkbt$ch4$(E-Mail Removed)2surf.net...
: Can't comment for the US - but having just got back from South
America...
: I was surprised to see one or two people get away with carrying
tripods on
: board...
: I didn't have then confidence to try myself - working on the theory
that a
: tripod when extended would make a nice Bat - which could be used to
assault
: crew or passengers! It was enough of a worry to me that check in
staff would
: see it that way - and that I'd be prevented from carrying it
: so I broke it down and packed it...
:
: SS
: