Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > End of line for smartmedia?

End of line for smartmedia?

dwickford@yahoo.com

Hi,

My usual suppliers have stopped selling smartmedia. Is it still being
manufactured? My camera, an Olympus C4000Z is good enough, but I may
need to get a new camera if I can't get replacement cards. I have
already had a card fail.

Here is a picture from the camera:
http://www.setday.com/devarayanadurga.jpg, which looks OK for a snap.

As a replacement I am considering the Fujifilm S7000, since it takes AA
batteries. Have xD cards a long time to run?

Thanks.

Gene Palmiter

Only a couple of companies made cameras that used the SM...Fuji and Olympus
are the ones I know of. Because of the way they are designed there is no way
to go above a certain number of megs...128 I think....maybe 256. Imagine
using one of those in a 8 mp camera!

There are programs that can recover the file structure of a SM....googling
for it might take awhile....but the card may not be lost.

--
Thanks,
Gene Palmiter

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hi,
>
> My usual suppliers have stopped selling smartmedia. Is it still being
> manufactured? My camera, an Olympus C4000Z is good enough, but I may
> need to get a new camera if I can't get replacement cards. I have
> already had a card fail.
>
> Here is a picture from the camera:
> http://www.setday.com/devarayanadurga.jpg, which looks OK for a snap.
>
> As a replacement I am considering the Fujifilm S7000, since it takes AA
> batteries. Have xD cards a long time to run?
>
> Thanks.

Gary Eickmeier

Gene Palmiter wrote:
> Only a couple of companies made cameras that used the SM...Fuji and Olympus
> are the ones I know of. Because of the way they are designed there is no way
> to go above a certain number of megs...128 I think....maybe 256. Imagine
> using one of those in a 8 mp camera!
>
> There are programs that can recover the file structure of a SM....googling
> for it might take awhile....but the card may not be lost.

My E20 uses SM for the backup card, CF for the main one. It's really
cool to be able to pluck out your memory card and keep on shooting while
it gets downloaded or an image grabbed off or whatever.

Gary Eickmeier

ASAAR

On 20 May 2006 10:07:48 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> As a replacement I am considering the Fujifilm S7000, since it takes
> AA batteries. Have xD cards a long time to run?

It should be a considerable amount of time. The xD card
manufacturers have committed themselves to regular card size
increases for the next several years, at least up to 8GB. It
shouldn't matter that much for the S7000 though, since it can use
either CF or xD cards.

snapper@mailinator.com

On 20 May 2006 10:07:48 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My usual suppliers have stopped selling smartmedia. Is it still being
> manufactured? My camera, an Olympus C4000Z is good enough, but I may
> need to get a new camera if I can't get replacement cards. I have
> already had a card fail.

I believe SM card manufacture was ceased 18 months ago.

Peter A. Stavrakoglou

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hi,
>
> My usual suppliers have stopped selling smartmedia. Is it still
> being
> manufactured? My camera, an Olympus C4000Z is good enough, but I
> may
> need to get a new camera if I can't get replacement cards. I have
> already had a card fail.
>
> Here is a picture from the camera:
> http://www.setday.com/devarayanadurga.jpg, which looks OK for a
> snap.
>
> As a replacement I am considering the Fujifilm S7000, since it takes
> AA
> batteries. Have xD cards a long time to run?

Who knows how long xD will be around, Fuji and Olympus still use it.
The S7000 also uses CF cards. You can put both an xD and a CF card in
the S7000 at the same time and when one card fills up it automatically
switches to using the other card.

Gene Palmiter

Well....I do that with my E-20 (I have an E-10 for back-up) and I keep a few
compact flash cards in my pocket. I start with my 1 gig card and seldom need
more except for weddings or other all day events. I have a 1 gig micro card,
a 512 CF and a couple of 256's. So....even if I still had (and I
may...somewhere) a Smartmedia....they hold so little that it would be
pointless. I shoot RAW so that makes a difference.

--
Thanks,
Gene Palmiter

"Gary Eickmeier" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:nJIbg.23662$(E-Mail Removed). ..

> Gene Palmiter wrote:
>> Only a couple of companies made cameras that used the SM...Fuji and
>> Olympus are the ones I know of. Because of the way they are designed
>> there is no way to go above a certain number of megs...128 I
>> think....maybe 256. Imagine using one of those in a 8 mp camera!
>>
>> There are programs that can recover the file structure of a
>> SM....googling for it might take awhile....but the card may not be lost.
>>

> My E20 uses SM for the backup card, CF for the main one. It's really cool
> to be able to pluck out your memory card and keep on shooting while it
> gets downloaded or an image grabbed off or whatever.
>
> Gary Eickmeier

Gary Eickmeier

Gene Palmiter wrote:

> Well....I do that with my E-20 (I have an E-10 for back-up) and I keep a few
> compact flash cards in my pocket. I start with my 1 gig card and seldom need
> more except for weddings or other all day events. I have a 1 gig micro card,
> a 512 CF and a couple of 256's. So....even if I still had (and I
> may...somewhere) a Smartmedia....they hold so little that it would be
> pointless. I shoot RAW so that makes a difference.

Yes, true enough. Especially with the size of the SM card. About the
only time this amazed me was at PMA, when I wanted to test one of the
printers by printing one of my pix I had just taken. I whipped out my CF
card, gave it to them, and absent mindedly took another picture of them
doing my print. Then I realized I was still taking pictures and I had
given them my card! I felt like a magician.

But, with the small size of the SM card, they could accomplish the same
thing with a little RAM memory inside the camera.

You really shoot all RAW? You enjoy that? I've got to shoot my nephew's
wedding in a few months, and I've been debating that. The file sizes
aren't prohibitive, but it would take a lot more computer work than
usual to get a disc full of the best pix to give to him, or even to
process for printing. Do you find the quality noticeable better?

GAry Eickmeier

Mike

"Gary Eickmeier" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de news:
X3_bg.24229$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Gene Palmiter wrote:
>
>> Well....I do that with my E-20 (I have an E-10 for back-up) and I keep a
>> few compact flash cards in my pocket. I start with my 1 gig card and
>> seldom need more except for weddings or other all day events. I have a 1
>> gig micro card, a 512 CF and a couple of 256's. So....even if I still had
>> (and I may...somewhere) a Smartmedia....they hold so little that it would
>> be pointless. I shoot RAW so that makes a difference.

> Yes, true enough. Especially with the size of the SM card. About the only
> time this amazed me was at PMA, when I wanted to test one of the printers
> by printing one of my pix I had just taken. I whipped out my CF card, gave
> it to them, and absent mindedly took another picture of them doing my
> print. Then I realized I was still taking pictures and I had given them my
> card! I felt like a magician.
>
> But, with the small size of the SM card, they could accomplish the same
> thing with a little RAM memory inside the camera.
>
> You really shoot all RAW? You enjoy that? I've got to shoot my nephew's
> wedding in a few months, and I've been debating that. The file sizes
> aren't prohibitive, but it would take a lot more computer work than usual
> to get a disc full of the best pix to give to him, or even to process for
> printing. Do you find the quality noticeable better?
>
> GAry Eickmeier

Use Raw Shooter Essentials, free from www.pixmantec.com , and you'll never
come back to JPG!
Very fast, very clever, easy to copy the same tuning detail on several pix,
you tweedle visualy details and compare the pix till you are happy, and then
you launch the final process.

mb

Gary Eickmeier

Mike wrote:

> Use Raw Shooter Essentials, free from www.pixmantec.com , and you'll never
> come back to JPG!
> Very fast, very clever, easy to copy the same tuning detail on several pix,
> you tweedle visualy details and compare the pix till you are happy, and then
> you launch the final process.

Well, that's probably fine, but the Elements 4 that I use processes the
image fairly completely just by opening it. Any adjustments to that
would be minor, and probably just a white balance deal, which is
essentially eyedropper simple.

Guess I just talked myself into shooting the wedding RAW. Maybe much
more forgiving of mistakes in exposure or color...

Gary Eickmeier