Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Scanning B&W

Scanning B&W

Jeff

I plan to scan some black and white negs on an Imacon 848 very soon,
but despite my best efforts, I can't find info on the best method. I
have well exposed 6x6 negs on either Delta 100 or FP4. I don't think
that the specific type of neg should matter, but you never know. I hope
to scan at the top resolution, since I am unsure of the final print
size. Most will be 12x12, but I may want to go much larger for some
prints. I would love to hear anyone's thoughts on scanning B&W on an
Imacon. Thanks.

Pat

You said the specific type of neg shouldn't matter. I don't know about
the Imacon, but my negative scanner wants to know what type of film it
is scanning -- esp. in color -- so it can keep the colors correct.

Also, if you are scanning for 12x12 and might want to go "much larger"
at a later date, unless you are doing a lot of corrections, you might
want to rescan at a larger date just to save disk space if your "some"
means quite a few.

You want (12"x300 dpi)^2 = 13 mpix. If you go to 24x24 later, you need
to scan at (24x300)^2 = ~ 52mpix.

For a few images it might not matter, but if there are hundreds ....

Scanning Wireless Lans =?Utf-8?B?WmVyb2JpYXM=?= Wireless Networking 0 10-19-2005 11:31 AM
Perl, Email, and Scanning Anthony Papillion II Perl 1 11-11-2004 04:41 AM
Re: Built an document scanning application Steve Haigh ASP .Net 0 04-08-2004 12:11 PM
Scanning Ajit ASP .Net 1 09-02-2003 11:53 PM
Re: Image Scanning - TWAIN equivalent Brendan Duffy ASP .Net 0 07-24-2003 08:29 AM

Advertisments