Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Anyone Carry Gear on Lufthansa Air? Bill? Roger? Anyone? :)

Anyone Carry Gear on Lufthansa Air? Bill? Roger? Anyone? :)

Alfred Molon

In article <446c2885$0$16357$(E-Mail Removed) ews.net>,

> people. Given that my laptop bag weighed over 20kg,

You have a 20kg laptop ?
--

Alfred Molon

Alfred Molon

I heard of wildlife photographers who use 1000mm lenses in Africa. These
lenses are so big and heavy that they have to be fixed on a truck.
Apparently they ship these lenses as checked luggage in special
suitcases.

--

Alfred Molon

David Dyer-Bennet

"MarkČ" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> writes:

> Thank you, Roger. I appreciate your information and find it
> encouraging. I'm still unsure of what my options would be IF they
> didn't allow it. If it isn't...I don't know what I'd do, since I
> just can't fathom checking +/- $13,000 gear in one bag.

At least domestically, the airlines specifically tell you *not* to
check camera or computers. I wonder what they'll do if they ever want
me to check my camera bag or my computer bag?
RKBA: <http://www.dd-b.net/carry/>

David Littlewood

In article <Gb0bg.1404$rS6.1304@fed1read11>, MarkČ
<mjmorgan@cox.?.net.invalid> writes
>Bill Hilton wrote:
>>> Mark wrote ...
>>>
>>> -I'm flying from Frankfort. Germany to Kiev, Ukraine...and Lufthansa
>>> says your carry on can weigh no more than 8kg...with only ONE
>>> carry-on is allowed. That's only 17+ pounds, and my small Lowepro
>>> Backpack is going to be 30 pounds.
>>>
>>> Bill? Roger? Anyone?

>> They might weigh it (I was turned away at the Air New Zealand counter
>> in Sydney once for being 3 lbs overweight once and was ready to book
>> another airline before they relented) but they may not, if it is
>> small. We had similar restrictions on KLM from Amsterdam to Tanzania
>> so what I did was wear a photo vest which would hold three lenses and
>> two camera bodies if need be, leaving the LowePro bag and the 500 f/4,
>> which together weighed slightly less than the 8 kilos. So if hassled
>> I would stuff the 70-200 f/2.8 and smaller lenses in the vest
>> pockets, go thru security and then put it back in the bag. Pretty
>> dumb but it's a loop-hole you can take advantage of. But they didn't
>> weigh the bags, they just did a visual inspection (two people I was
>> traveling with had to check in some of their bags though, but these
>> were over-sized and over-weight).
>>
>> The other loophole is you can wear a camera around your neck and it
>> doesn't count against the 8 kilos ... I used to do this with an EOS-3
>> and a 100 mm macro that fit the camera case on trips to Alaska when we
>> also carried medium format for landscape.
>>
>>> Checking my photo gear as baggage is out of the question, as I
>>> would never see it again.

>> On our first trip to Africa one of our party shipped a Nikon 600 f/4
>> and a D2x (among other things) in a checked bag. It didn't arrive
>> until day 5 and everyone was pretty certain $14,000 worth of camera
>> gear wouldn't make it in a country where the average per capita income
>> is around $700, but it arrived fine. I was so impressed that on our
>> second trip I actually shipped a 300 f/4 L lens in checked bags and it
>> was fine too. I've heard you can't do this to certain airports
>> (Nairobi used to have a gang of thieves working the x-ray inspections)
>> but it's not a certainty the gear will be stolen. Dunno about the
>> Ukraine ...
>>
>> Have a nice trip
>>
>> Bill

>Great info, Bill. I first thought of you and then Roger and David L...and
>sure enough...you all had good info.
>
>I don't use a photo vest, but this is the best reason I've yet heard to at
>least have one with me.
>What vest is that you used?
>Thanks for your help.
>-Mark

Mark,

Mine is a Tamrac 151 Photographer's Vest. Bought it in the early 90s,
don't think it is available now but you may find one second hand. The
large hip pockets will take an EF 100-400 IS (with hood, at a stretch)
which is quite impressive. Make me look a bit like a pensioned-off
member of a SWAT team, but I must say I no longer care what others think
I look like! It must have some street cred though, a few years ago a
young-ish guy approached me in Newark airport and offered to buy it...

Sorry for leaving all of Bill's stuff above, but that's a lazy way for
me to archive it.

David
--
David Littlewood

David Littlewood

In article <446ca800$0$10755$(E-Mail Removed)>, F
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>On 18/05/2006 11:11 David Littlewood wrote:
>
>> jobsworths who administer these rules

>Jobsworths?
>
>They and their rules are there for my (and your) safety. You might not
>care but I expect your fellow travellers will.

I do understand why there need to be rules, and what their object should
be. However, I cannot imagine that any intelligent legislator would seek
to have Ł10,000 bags of camera gear go in the hold. I have flown scores
of times with my bag, and only once (on a US internal flight in a 727)
have I found an overhead rack/bin too small to fit my bag in. Almost
every flight I go on, my bag is one of the smaller ones I see.
Unfortunately, "jobsworths" do not always appreciate the underlying
rationale for rules, but only have enough intelligence to follow simple,
rigid instructions.

BA, the UK's leading airline, today stated that it believes weight is
not the problem for cabin baggage, size is. It clearly said that luggage
bins can take the weight, but some people try to abuse the system with
bags that are too bulky.

And of course since the US now seems to cut open locked hold baggage
with monotonous regularity, no sane person would check valuables on a
flight to/from there.

David
--
David Littlewood

Allodoxaphobia

On Thu, 18 May 2006 23:02:51 +0100, David Littlewood wrote:

<-snip->
> And of course since the US now seems to cut open locked hold baggage
> with monotonous regularity, no sane person would check valuables on a
> flight to/from there.

Quite true! Now that they have those multi-million dallar scanner
machines to assist them, the luggage looters no longer have to randomly
rip open bags. They can pretty much sit back and choose the exact ones
they want to pilfer.

Been there. Suffered that.

Jonesy
--
Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
*** Killfiling google posts: <http//jonz.net/ng.htm>

MarkČ

John McWilliams wrote:
> Bill Hilton wrote:
>>> Mark? wrote ...
>>>
>>> I don't use a photo vest, but this is the best reason I've yet
>>> heard to at least have one with me.
>>> What vest is that you used?

>> Domke PhoTogs, about $65 at B&H ... wearing one in an airport makes
>> you look a bit like a dork, but a dork who arrives with all his
>> camera gear I use the zippered pockets for passports, tickets,
>> memory cards, etc when traveling so even if you don't have to stuff
>> 20 lbs of lenses and bodies in the pockets to get past the carry-on
>> police it's still handy for traveling. If you don't mind looking
>> like a dork ...

> Where did the 70-200 go, and how comfortable was it? I don't have that
> vest, but I have suspected I look dorky in the one I have- got it from
> REI - don't even know if it's really an *official* (! <s>) photogs
> jacket! But it sure has a lot of pockets. The only place the 70-200
> would fit, I think, is in the back swag pocket....All right until one
> sits....

OK...
I just got back from Nelson's Photo in San Diego (a first-rate shop!) and
now have the Domke vest on.
I also discovered that you don't look nearly as dorky with the BLACK version
as opposed to the beige.

Just as Bill indicated, the inside front pockets easily accomodate the
70-200 2.8 IS and similarly sized lenses.
Right now I'm sitting here with the above lens in one, and a 10D body in the
other. It's not something I'd choose to wear for fashion, but it's not bad
at all. Bulky, but not bad.

I'm hoping this solution works. -Seems like a great loop-hole to me.

MarkČ

David Littlewood wrote:
> [...]

>> I don't use a photo vest, but this is the best reason I've yet heard
>> to at least have one with me.
>> What vest is that you used?
>> Thanks for your help.
>> -Mark
>>

> Mark,
>
> Mine is a Tamrac 151 Photographer's Vest. Bought it in the early 90s,
> don't think it is available now but you may find one second hand. The
> large hip pockets will take an EF 100-400 IS (with hood, at a stretch)
> which is quite impressive. Make me look a bit like a pensioned-off
> member of a SWAT team, but I must say I no longer care what others
> think I look like! It must have some street cred though, a few years
> ago a young-ish guy approached me in Newark airport and offered to
> buy it...
> Sorry for leaving all of Bill's stuff above, but that's a lazy way for

Hi David,
I tried on a Tamrac vest they had in the shop today (where I just bought the
Domke), but they didn't have my size. I also noticed that the Tamrac seemed
to get immediately hotter than the Domke...so I made my decision.
You're right about the bigger lenses. I've got the 70-200 2.8 IS with hood
in a pocket right now (which is nearly identical in size to the 100-400) and
its not bad at all. -Ya, it looks dorky, but the black isn't nearly as bad
as the beige.
-MarkČ

David Littlewood

In article <iqabg.1467$rS6.1379@fed1read11>, MarkČ
<mjmorgan@cox.?.net.invalid> writes
>> Mark,
>>
>> Mine is a Tamrac 151 Photographer's Vest. Bought it in the early 90s,
>> don't think it is available now but you may find one second hand. The
>> large hip pockets will take an EF 100-400 IS (with hood, at a stretch)
>> which is quite impressive. Make me look a bit like a pensioned-off
>> member of a SWAT team, but I must say I no longer care what others
>> think I look like! It must have some street cred though, a few years
>> ago a young-ish guy approached me in Newark airport and offered to
>> buy it...
>> Sorry for leaving all of Bill's stuff above, but that's a lazy way for
>> me to archive it.
>>
>> David

>Hi David,
>I tried on a Tamrac vest they had in the shop today (where I just bought the
>Domke), but they didn't have my size. I also noticed that the Tamrac seemed
>to get immediately hotter than the Domke...so I made my decision.
>You're right about the bigger lenses. I've got the 70-200 2.8 IS with hood
>in a pocket right now (which is nearly identical in size to the 100-400) and
>its not bad at all. -Ya, it looks dorky, but the black isn't nearly as bad
>as the beige.
>-MarkČ

Hm, must take a look at the Domke; my Tamrac is wearing out after 13
years of (ab)use, and despite several repairs by my resident needlework
expert. From the pictures I have seen of the current Tamrac vests, the
pockets do not look as big as the older one, but I have not seen it in
the flesh.

David
--
David Littlewood

MarkČ

David Littlewood wrote:
> In article <iqabg.1467$rS6.1379@fed1read11>, MarkČ
> <mjmorgan@cox.?.net.invalid> writes
>>> Mark,
>>>
>>> Mine is a Tamrac 151 Photographer's Vest. Bought it in the early
>>> 90s, don't think it is available now but you may find one second
>>> hand. The large hip pockets will take an EF 100-400 IS (with hood,
>>> at a stretch) which is quite impressive. Make me look a bit like a
>>> pensioned-off member of a SWAT team, but I must say I no longer
>>> care what others think I look like! It must have some street cred
>>> though, a few years ago a young-ish guy approached me in Newark
>>> airport and offered to buy it...
>>> Sorry for leaving all of Bill's stuff above, but that's a lazy way
>>> for me to archive it.
>>>
>>> David

>> Hi David,
>> I tried on a Tamrac vest they had in the shop today (where I just
>> bought the Domke), but they didn't have my size. I also noticed
>> that the Tamrac seemed to get immediately hotter than the Domke...so
>> I made my decision. You're right about the bigger lenses. I've got the
>> 70-200 2.8 IS
>> with hood in a pocket right now (which is nearly identical in size
>> to the 100-400) and its not bad at all. -Ya, it looks dorky, but
>> the black isn't nearly as bad as the beige.
>> -MarkČ
>>

> Hm, must take a look at the Domke; my Tamrac is wearing out after 13
> years of (ab)use, and despite several repairs by my resident
> needlework expert. From the pictures I have seen of the current
> Tamrac vests, the pockets do not look as big as the older one, but I
> have not seen it in the flesh.
>
> David

Well...now that I looked in the big mirror, I'd have to say that the black
one STILL looks dorky.

Oh well...