Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Anyone Carry Gear on Lufthansa Air? Bill? Roger? Anyone? :)

Anyone Carry Gear on Lufthansa Air? Bill? Roger? Anyone? :)

Bill Hilton

> Mark▓ wrote ...
>
> -I'm flying from Frankfort. Germany to Kiev, Ukraine...and Lufthansa says
> your carry on can weigh no more than 8kg...with only ONE carry-on is
> allowed. That's only 17+ pounds, and my small Lowepro Backpack is going to
> be 30 pounds.
>
> Bill? Roger? Anyone?

They might weigh it (I was turned away at the Air New Zealand counter
in Sydney once for being 3 lbs overweight once and was ready to book
another airline before they relented) but they may not, if it is small.
We had similar restrictions on KLM from Amsterdam to Tanzania so what
I did was wear a photo vest which would hold three lenses and two
camera bodies if need be, leaving the LowePro bag and the 500 f/4,
which together weighed slightly less than the 8 kilos. So if hassled I
would stuff the 70-200 f/2.8 and smaller lenses in the vest pockets, go
thru security and then put it back in the bag. Pretty dumb but it's a
loop-hole you can take advantage of. But they didn't weigh the bags,
they just did a visual inspection (two people I was traveling with had
to check in some of their bags though, but these were over-sized and
over-weight).

The other loophole is you can wear a camera around your neck and it
doesn't count against the 8 kilos ... I used to do this with an EOS-3
and a 100 mm macro that fit the camera case on trips to Alaska when we
also carried medium format for landscape.

> Checking my photo gear as baggage is out of the question, as I
> would never see it again.

On our first trip to Africa one of our party shipped a Nikon 600 f/4
and a D2x (among other things) in a checked bag. It didn't arrive
until day 5 and everyone was pretty certain $14,000 worth of camera
gear wouldn't make it in a country where the average per capita income
is around $700, but it arrived fine. I was so impressed that on our
second trip I actually shipped a 300 f/4 L lens in checked bags and it
was fine too. I've heard you can't do this to certain airports
(Nairobi used to have a gang of thieves working the x-ray inspections)
but it's not a certainty the gear will be stolen. Dunno about the
Ukraine ...

Have a nice trip

Bill

Mark▓

Bill Hilton wrote:
>> Mark wrote ...
>>
>> -I'm flying from Frankfort. Germany to Kiev, Ukraine...and Lufthansa
>> says your carry on can weigh no more than 8kg...with only ONE
>> carry-on is allowed. That's only 17+ pounds, and my small Lowepro
>> Backpack is going to be 30 pounds.
>>
>> Bill? Roger? Anyone?

> They might weigh it (I was turned away at the Air New Zealand counter
> in Sydney once for being 3 lbs overweight once and was ready to book
> another airline before they relented) but they may not, if it is
> small. We had similar restrictions on KLM from Amsterdam to Tanzania
> so what I did was wear a photo vest which would hold three lenses and
> two camera bodies if need be, leaving the LowePro bag and the 500 f/4,
> which together weighed slightly less than the 8 kilos. So if hassled
> I would stuff the 70-200 f/2.8 and smaller lenses in the vest
> pockets, go thru security and then put it back in the bag. Pretty
> dumb but it's a loop-hole you can take advantage of. But they didn't
> weigh the bags, they just did a visual inspection (two people I was
> traveling with had to check in some of their bags though, but these
> were over-sized and over-weight).
>
> The other loophole is you can wear a camera around your neck and it
> doesn't count against the 8 kilos ... I used to do this with an EOS-3
> and a 100 mm macro that fit the camera case on trips to Alaska when we
> also carried medium format for landscape.
>
>> Checking my photo gear as baggage is out of the question, as I
>> would never see it again.

> On our first trip to Africa one of our party shipped a Nikon 600 f/4
> and a D2x (among other things) in a checked bag. It didn't arrive
> until day 5 and everyone was pretty certain $14,000 worth of camera
> gear wouldn't make it in a country where the average per capita income
> is around $700, but it arrived fine. I was so impressed that on our
> second trip I actually shipped a 300 f/4 L lens in checked bags and it
> was fine too. I've heard you can't do this to certain airports
> (Nairobi used to have a gang of thieves working the x-ray inspections)
> but it's not a certainty the gear will be stolen. Dunno about the
> Ukraine ...
>
> Have a nice trip
>
> Bill

Great info, Bill. I first thought of you and then Roger and David L...and
sure enough...you all had good info.

I don't use a photo vest, but this is the best reason I've yet heard to at
least have one with me.
What vest is that you used?
Thanks for your help.
-Mark

Mark▓

David Littlewood wrote:
> In article <g2Uag.1393$rS6.106@fed1read11>, Mark▓
> <mjmorgan@cox.?.net.invalid> writes
>> Has anyone here dealt with this?
>> -I'm flying from Frankfort. Germany to Kiev, Ukraine...and Lufthansa
>> says your carry on can weigh no more than 8kg...with only ONE
>> carry-on is allowed. That's only 17+ pounds, and my small Lowepro
>> Backpack is going to be 30 pounds.
>> It's well within size limitations, but weight is a problem.
>>
>> Has anyone flown with heavy carry ons on Lufthansa??
>> Is there a way around this with them?
>>
>> Checking my photo gear as baggage is out of the question, as I would
>> never see it again.
>>
>> United Airlines doesn't have a weight spec on carry-ons.
>> This is specific to my third flight: Frankfort to Kiev, which is not
>> on United (obviously).
>>
>> Any experience out there?
>>
>> Thanks for any info...
>>
>> Bill? Roger? Anyone?
>>

> Mark,
>
> Never flown Lufthansa, but experience on lots of other airlines
> matches others'. If you have a single shoulder bag, keep it behind
> you and look as if it weighs nothing, you will rarely have a problem.
>
> When on a trip with my camera gear (usually a large Tamrac bag
> weighing in at 12 kg or so) I wear a Tamrac photographers vest.
> Usually, for the flight, the pockets are lightly loaded (book,
> mini-disc player etc). On one or two occasions I have seen them
> weighing the hand baggage of passengers in front of me - usually if
> they were trying to take a large roll-on. While standing in the
> queue, I was able to stuff the pockets with 2 camera bodies and 3
> lenses, getting the weight of the bag down to less than 6kg. Of
> course, the jacket looked like a fat suit (and weighed more than the
> bag) but the jobsworths who administer these rules don't have
> anything in their manual about clothing.
> Hope you enjoy Kiev. Trust the 5D has arrived and you are happy with
> it. Mine has actually helped with packing, as I used to take a small
> rollfilm outfit in the bag (Mamiya 6 + 3 lenses) along with the 35mm
> stuff. The quality of the 5D is such that I felt able to leave the
> Mamiya behind on my 2.5 week trip to Chile last month - and (for the
> first time in my life) to take no film with me. Of course, I then take
> more lenses....
>
> David

Thanks David!
Between you and Bill H., I am now convincd that my next purchase will be a
photo vest to at least have with me in the event they seem in a picky mood.

I received the 5D yesterday and yes...I am VERY happy with it.
I'm running out the door or I'd write more...
Thank you again for your great info/help.
-Mark▓

Bill Hilton

> Mark▓ wrote ...
>
>I don't use a photo vest, but this is the best reason I've yet heard to
>at least have one with me.
>What vest is that you used?

Domke PhoTogs, about $65 at B&H ... wearing one in an airport makes you
look a bit like a dork, but a dork who arrives with all his camera gear
I use the zippered pockets for passports, tickets, memory cards,
etc when traveling so even if you don't have to stuff 20 lbs of lenses
and bodies in the pockets to get past the carry-on police it's still
handy for traveling. If you don't mind looking like a dork ...

Bill

Brian

On Thu, 18 May 2006 08:12:50 -0700, "Mark▓" <mjmorgan(lowest even
number here)@cox..net> mentioned:

>I don't use a photo vest, but this is the best reason I've yet heard to at
>least have one with me.
>What vest is that you used?
>Thanks for your help.
>-Mark

Welcome to European air travel. Al countries seem to be getting
tighter on monitoring carry on recently. I use a bum bag / fanny
sack for one or two items - usually my heavy binoculars and one lens -
for check in and then put it all back in the camera bag or rucsack
between check in and security.

The main airport operator in the UK is now pushing all airlines to
keep to one carry on per passenger - the justification being speeding
up security monitoring. It's cheaper than buying more machines and
paying operators.

Brian
(for email change closed to open)

John McWilliams

Bill Hilton wrote:
>> Mark´┐Ż wrote ...
>>
>> I don't use a photo vest, but this is the best reason I've yet heard to
>> at least have one with me.
>> What vest is that you used?

> Domke PhoTogs, about $65 at B&H ... wearing one in an airport makes you
> look a bit like a dork, but a dork who arrives with all his camera gear
> I use the zippered pockets for passports, tickets, memory cards,
> etc when traveling so even if you don't have to stuff 20 lbs of lenses
> and bodies in the pockets to get past the carry-on police it's still
> handy for traveling. If you don't mind looking like a dork ...

Where did the 70-200 go, and how comfortable was it? I don't have that
vest, but I have suspected I look dorky in the one I have- got it from
REI - don't even know if it's really an *official* (! <s>) photogs
jacket! But it sure has a lot of pockets. The only place the 70-200
would fit, I think, is in the back swag pocket....All right until one
sits....

--
john mcwilliams

Bill Hilton

> John McWilliams writes ...
>
>Where did the 70-200 go (in the Domke vest) ...

There are two inside pockets in the front that are long enough to hold
the 3 lb class lenses like the 300 f/4, 70-200 f/2.8 etc ... the lens
lays flat or you can get two shorter lenses in upright. You access
these from the inside of the vest.

> ... and how comfortable was it?

Usually it's just short-term to get past the check station but I
remember wearing the vest on a flight to Florida with the 70-200 in the
pocket and it wasn't that bad.

>The only place the 70-200
>would fit, I think, is in the back swag pocket

Yes, there are two back pockets on the Domke where the 70-200 sized
lenses will fit vertically but as you point out you can't sit down and
lean back I was going to use these in Holland and put the camera
bodies in the front pockets to get past the screeners but luckily this
wasn't necessary as they didn't enforce their weight limits.

Bill

Ken Weitzel

Bill Hilton wrote:

>>John McWilliams writes ...
>>
>>Where did the 70-200 go (in the Domke vest) ...

> There are two inside pockets in the front that are long enough to hold
> the 3 lb class lenses like the 300 f/4, 70-200 f/2.8 etc ... the lens
> lays flat or you can get two shorter lenses in upright. You access
> these from the inside of the vest.
>

>>... and how comfortable was it?

> Usually it's just short-term to get past the check station but I
> remember wearing the vest on a flight to Florida with the 70-200 in the
> pocket and it wasn't that bad.
>

>>The only place the 70-200
>>would fit, I think, is in the back swag pocket

> Yes, there are two back pockets on the Domke where the 70-200 sized
> lenses will fit vertically but as you point out you can't sit down and
> lean back I was going to use these in Holland and put the camera
> bodies in the front pockets to get past the screeners but luckily this
> wasn't necessary as they didn't enforce their weight limits.
>
> Bill

Hi...

I can't even begin to think of the reaction you'd a gotten from
security

Take care.

Ken

On 18/05/2006 11:11 David Littlewood wrote:

> jobsworths who administer these rules

Jobsworths?

They and their rules are there for my (and your) safety. You might not
care but I expect your fellow travellers will.

Alfred Molon

In article <QVVag.1403$rS6.1370@fed1read11>, "Mark▓" <mjmorgan(lowest
even number here)@cox..net> says...

> How on Earth to photographers carry less than 8kg with all their gear??
> Leaving it to luck/chance/distraction is not what I want to do...
> ...and I'm traveling alone--meaning no girlfriend to distract the guard.

Welcome to the realities of travel photography Mark. Size and weight
unfortunately matter...
--

Alfred Molon