Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Nikon Coolscan III vs Minolta Dimage Scan Elite II

Nikon Coolscan III vs Minolta Dimage Scan Elite II

arifi

Hello everyone,

I have come across these two scanners (used), and am planning to get
one of them to scan-in the 35mm negatives and slides that I have
created over years. Any suggestions on which one to choose? Technically
they seem to be similar - any experiences - comparative information
will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
-arifi

tomm42

arifi wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I have come across these two scanners (used), and am planning to get
> one of them to scan-in the 35mm negatives and slides that I have
> created over years. Any suggestions on which one to choose? Technically
> they seem to be similar - any experiences - comparative information
> will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance
> -arifi

Remember they are SCSI, both Nikon and Minolta scanners need specific
SCSI boards etc. Some older Nikons just won't work with Win XP. Just
had a tough time installing an LS2000 on an XP computer. Both will work
with Adaptec 2940 boards, 2910 and 2906s. I would go with the Minolta,
the Coolscans III and up are fairly slow.

Tom

arifi

Hi Top, thanks for the tip. SCSI will not be a problem - I actually
have a 2940 readily available. Do you have any information about their
dynamic range capabilities? Speed is not so critical - The images have
been waiting for years anyway..

arifi

Ah - sorry I meant ToM, of course. Apologies.

David J. Littleboy

"arifi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I have come across these two scanners (used), and am planning to get
> one of them to scan-in the 35mm negatives and slides that I have
> created over years. Any suggestions on which one to choose? Technically
> they seem to be similar - any experiences - comparative information
> will be greatly appreciated.

FWIW, I'd avoid scanners that are either less than 4000 ppi or don't have
ICE.

There's a phenomenon called "grain aliasing"; certain color negative films
look much worse than they should on certain scanners, but the problem is
much less severe at 4000 ppi or higher. If you have old color negatives on
consumer print film, this is important.

You really don't want to have to clone out dust in Photoshop: it gets old
really quick.

I'd recommend holding out for at least the Nikon "V" (the low end of the
current two models) or the Konica-Minolta (Sony?) 5400.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

jim@hallettmovers.com

David J. Littleboy wrote:
> "arifi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > I have come across these two scanners (used), and am planning to get
> > one of them to scan-in the 35mm negatives and slides that I have
> > created over years. Any suggestions on which one to choose? Technically
> > they seem to be similar - any experiences - comparative information
> > will be greatly appreciated.

> FWIW, I'd avoid scanners that are either less than 4000 ppi or don't have
> ICE.
>
> There's a phenomenon called "grain aliasing"; certain color negative films
> look much worse than they should on certain scanners, but the problem is
> much less severe at 4000 ppi or higher. If you have old color negatives on
> consumer print film, this is important.
>
> You really don't want to have to clone out dust in Photoshop: it gets old
> really quick.
>
> I'd recommend holding out for at least the Nikon "V" (the low end of the
> current two models) or the Konica-Minolta (Sony?) 5400.
>
> David J. Littleboy
> Tokyo, Japan

tomm42

The Nikon is their low end scanner, the Minolta Elite was their top end
scanner 3 or 4 years ago. Dynamic range isn't really important as films
top d-max is 3.6-4.0 for slide film and much less for negative. Most
manufacturers inflate their DR ratings. Either one of these scanners
will fit an image into the AdobeRGB color space (which is what you
really need).
Hopefully you are getting a real good price for either of these
scanners as they old technology scanner wise.
Speed doesn't seem to matter until you start scanning.

Tom

jim@hallettmovers.com

I bought a Minolta Scan Elite II in August of 2005. I installed it on
my PC running windows xp, and have scanned several thousand negatives
and slides with stunning results. I got a little nervous when I heard
that Minolta has stopped making the Scan Elite II, but speaking only
for my own personal results, I have been very happy with the scanner.
Once I finally found a software program that will make DVD's with sound
that my DVD player will play, I have enjoyed having the scanner even
more that I already did.

arifi

Hi, Tom.

I am leaning more to the Minolta one, and the asked price is approx.
275USD (will try to bargain a little). The device looks pretty clean.
How does the price sound? I have no idea on the market for used
scanners.

Thanks again,
-arifi