Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Fuji S5200 vs Canon S2 IS???

Reply
Thread Tools

Fuji S5200 vs Canon S2 IS???

 
 
jazu
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-16-2006
I morrowed to this two models.
Which one would you advise me to buy?
thanks


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
russell
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-16-2006
Neither.. The S3 is a much better camera.

russell


"jazu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:brfag.168272$WI1.70793@pd7tw2no...
>I morrowed to this two models.
> Which one would you advise me to buy?
> thanks
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Steve
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-16-2006
jazu wrote:
> I morrowed to this two models.
> Which one would you advise me to buy?
> thanks
>
>


I can only comment on the s5200 as thats what i have.
The only fault i found with the 5200 is the macro no being great
but if you do alot of macro then a lens can be purchased to
counter that.

i like to shoot 3:2 too which the canon appears cant.
And ISO upto 1600 on the 5200 does come in handy occiasionally.

Canon is still a nice piece of kit though.
 
Reply With Quote
 
SleeperMan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-16-2006
russell wrote:
> Neither.. The S3 is a much better camera.


much? WE all agree that S3 is a LITTLE better than S2. But, to buy new, i
would advise S3, too, sure. But improvement is minor.
Depends...if a man needs 6M pixels, or live histogram, then go for it. About
ISO 800 - forget it, since it's useless.

>
> russell
>
>
> "jazu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:brfag.168272$WI1.70793@pd7tw2no...
>> I morrowed to this two models.
>> Which one would you advise me to buy?
>> thanks




--
Visit my web page at http://www.protoncek.com



Inviato da X-Privat.Org - Registrazione gratuita http://www.x-privat.org/join.php
 
Reply With Quote
 
y_p_w
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-16-2006
Steve wrote:
> jazu wrote:
> > I morrowed to this two models.
> > Which one would you advise me to buy?
> > thanks
> >
> >

>
> I can only comment on the s5200 as thats what i have.
> The only fault i found with the 5200 is the macro no being great
> but if you do alot of macro then a lens can be purchased to
> counter that.
>
> i like to shoot 3:2 too which the canon appears cant.


The S3 IS has a 3:2 shooting mode.

 
Reply With Quote
 
y_p_w
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-16-2006
jazu wrote:
> I morrowed to this two models.
> Which one would you advise me to buy?


I would suppose the big drawback to the FujiFilm camera
is the use of the xD Picture Card. The choice and pricing
of Secure Digital cards is generally better, and card reader
support is easily better. I do have a SanDisk 8-in-1 reader
that takes xD, but most multi-format cards readers don't
take them.

 
Reply With Quote
 
russell
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-17-2006
Well I think its much better than an S2. And I have all 3.
I know the improvements may be small over the S2, but the important things
to me is the sport mode and the black body and lens. I still use the S1 and
love the S3 but will never use the S2 again.

russell


"SleeperMan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:446a09a5$(E-Mail Removed)...
> russell wrote:
>> Neither.. The S3 is a much better camera.

>
> much? WE all agree that S3 is a LITTLE better than S2. But, to buy new, i
> would advise S3, too, sure. But improvement is minor.
> Depends...if a man needs 6M pixels, or live histogram, then go for it.
> About ISO 800 - forget it, since it's useless.
>
>>
>> russell
>>
>>
>> "jazu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:brfag.168272$WI1.70793@pd7tw2no...
>>> I morrowed to this two models.
>>> Which one would you advise me to buy?
>>> thanks

>
>
>
> --
> Visit my web page at http://www.protoncek.com
>
>
> Inviato da X-Privat.Org - Registrazione gratuita
> http://www.x-privat.org/join.php



 
Reply With Quote
 
Beefy_SAFC
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-17-2006
jazu wrote:
> I morrowed to this two models.
> Which one would you advise me to buy?
> thanks


Fuji S5200:

GOOD:

1) Fast start up on switch on (about as fast as I've seen on a camera).
Ready to photo straight away. Barrel is permanently extended, so
you don't have to wait for it to be rolled out.
2) Good focussing speed in good light and very quick to take a photo
under such circumstances.
3) Better at lower light photography than previous Fuji incarnations.
Useful when needing to avoid flash in moderate light. Also apparently
cleaner image at 400 / 800 ISO on long exposure than previous Fuji
cameras.
4) Olympus TCON-17 telephoto (1.7X) and WCON-07 wide angle (0.7X)
conversion lenses attach straight to it's 37 mm to 370 mm barrel it
without adaptors.
5) Cheaper


BAD:

1) Macro not best in world.
2) ISO ramping rather than proper image stabilisation - okay provided
not too much movement. Can on rare occasions overcompensate and lead
to over exposure.
3) Continuous shoot too slow at once every 0.9 seconds. First three
shooting and final three shooting rather than first 5 and final five
shooting as on previous Fuji models.
4) xD cards need to be made much faster or ditched in favour of the
faster sD.

The bad points have at times been serious irritations. I kept hold of
an S7000 specifically because of the bad points (poor continuous shhot
plus poor macro). Where the S5600 is weak, the S7000 is strong and
vice versa.

Canon S2/3:

GOOD:

1) Slightly better zoom (36 mm to 430 mm - 12x - rather than 37 mm to
370 mm - 10x - on Fuji ).
2) Proper image stabilisation.
3) Faster continuous shoot, provided you have super fast sD cards.
4) Proper macro and super macro modes for close up photography.

2) and 3) are important to me.

BAD:

1) Barrel needs to be extended on start up, thus longer time before you
can start taking photos (annoying when you need to take a quick
picture).
2) Adaptor needed when you want to add conversion lenses.
3) Slightly bulkier.

The S3 as far as I know is the S2, but with 6 MP max insead of 5 MP and
black rather than silver. The S3 may take 'softer' pictures and I'm
not sure if this is a plus or a minus yet.

I've been considering bailing out of the Fuji in favour of the Canon
and I'm not sure what to do yet, as I'm still at the research stage.
It's a case of horses for courses and what's important to you in the
camera.

Head to head, the Canon has more to it, but you pay for the features.
I'm guessing on a S5700 / S5300 in the summer and perhaps the weakneses
of the Fuji will be sorted out. That said, Fuji are beginning to lag
behind the opposition.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Beefy_SAFC
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-17-2006
jazu wrote:
> I morrowed to this two models.
> Which one would you advise me to buy?
> thanks


Fuji S5200:

GOOD:

1) Fast start up on switch on (about as fast as I've seen on a camera).
Ready to photo straight away. Barrel is permanently extended, so
you don't have to wait for it to be rolled out.
2) Good focussing speed in good light and very quick to take a photo
under such circumstances.
3) Better at lower light photography than previous Fuji incarnations.
Useful when needing to avoid flash in moderate light. Also apparently
cleaner image at 400 / 800 ISO on long exposure than previous Fuji
cameras.
4) Olympus TCON-17 telephoto (1.7X) and WCON-07 wide angle (0.7X)
conversion lenses attach straight to it's 37 mm to 370 mm barrel it
without adaptors.
5) Cheaper


BAD:

1) Macro not best in world.
2) ISO ramping rather than proper image stabilisation - okay provided
not too much movement. Can on rare occasions overcompensate and lead
to over exposure.
3) Continuous shoot too slow at once every 0.9 seconds. First three
shooting and final three shooting rather than first 5 and final five
shooting as on previous Fuji models.
4) xD cards need to be made much faster or ditched in favour of the
faster sD.

The bad points have at times been serious irritations. I kept hold of
an S7000 specifically because of the bad points (poor continuous shhot
plus poor macro). Where the S5600 is weak, the S7000 is strong and
vice versa.

Canon S2/3:

GOOD:

1) Slightly better zoom (36 mm to 430 mm - 12x - rather than 37 mm to
370 mm - 10x - on Fuji ).
2) Proper image stabilisation.
3) Faster continuous shoot, provided you have super fast sD cards.
4) Proper macro and super macro modes for close up photography.

2) and 3) are important to me.

BAD:

1) Barrel needs to be extended on start up, thus longer time before you
can start taking photos (annoying when you need to take a quick
picture).
2) Adaptor needed when you want to add conversion lenses.
3) Slightly bulkier.

The S3 as far as I know is the S2, but with 6 MP max insead of 5 MP and
black rather than silver. The S3 may take 'softer' pictures and I'm
not sure if this is a plus or a minus yet.

I've been considering bailing out of the Fuji in favour of the Canon
and I'm not sure what to do yet, as I'm still at the research stage.
It's a case of horses for courses and what's important to you in the
camera.

Head to head, the Canon has more to it, but you pay for the features.
I'm guessing on a S5700 / S5300 in the summer and perhaps the weakneses
of the Fuji will be sorted out. That said, Fuji are beginning to lag
behind the opposition.

Ian (Beefy_SAFC)

 
Reply With Quote
 
ASAAR
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-17-2006
On 17 May 2006 01:48:44 -0700, Beefy_SAFC wrote:

> Fuji S5200:
> . . .
> BAD:
> . . .
> 3) Continuous shoot too slow at once every 0.9 seconds. First three
> shooting and final three shooting rather than first 5 and final five
> shooting as on previous Fuji models.


The previous model (S5100) also had a Top Three and Final Three
limit. The older S5000 provided more than three. I was surprised
to see the Long Period Continuous Shooting has slowed to 0.9 seconds
per shot. The S5100 is faster, capturing images every 0.6 seconds.

> 4) xD cards need to be made much faster or ditched in favour of the
> faster sD.


Why do you say this? The old xD cards seem more than fast enough
for these cameras, and any lack of speed seems to be due to the
camera design, not a card limitation. I think that the old M type
xD cards were rated at about 40x or 45x. For shooting video at the
greatest frame rate and resolution, I haven't noticed any skipped
frames or other problems using M type cards.

The newer H type (High Speed) xD cards have been mentioned here
before, but I haven't checked any stores or ads so I don't know if
they're currently being sold or not. They'd probably be the cards
to get for the better, more demanding DSLRs that use xD cards, but
I'd be surprised if they'd result in any greater performance if used
in current P&S cameras.


> I've been considering bailing out of the Fuji in favour of the Canon
> and I'm not sure what to do yet, as I'm still at the research stage.
> It's a case of horses for courses and what's important to you in the
> camera.


It would be nice if the next Fuji implemented IS, but Fuji's
approach using a more light sensitive sensor can be advantageous in
certain situations. With sufficient light, IS does a good job since
it's effective in reducing the blurring effect of hand/camera
movement. In low light situations, while it still helps reduce
camera movement, it works by allowing slower shutter speeds, but
since in low light the necessary shutter speeds are already fairly
slow, lengthening shutter times can greatly increase blur due to
subject movement. In situations where a tripod is used, IS no
longer provides its advantage. As you say, what's important to you
is what counts, and both (S5200 and S3 IS) make good choices. The
main deficiencies I've found in the S5100 are poor manual focusing
(greatly improved in the larger S9000) and the lack of a hot shoe.
A larger LCD would also be nice, but the relatively small size is
offset by the great magnification that's possible on playback.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fuji S5100/5500 vs S5200/5600 mianileng@yahoo.com Digital Photography 4 03-22-2006 08:05 AM
Fuji S5200, Kodak Z740, or Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ2? bj Digital Photography 0 02-23-2006 10:14 AM
Fuji Finepix S5200 or Canon Powershot A610 michel guimond Digital Photography 6 11-25-2005 04:23 PM
Fuji S5200/5600 vs Canon S2 IS or Sony H1 Siddhartha Jain Digital Photography 8 11-21-2005 06:54 PM
Fuji S5000 -- Jump to S5200? Desdinova Digital Photography 2 10-27-2005 05:23 AM



Advertisments