Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > copying exact area?

copying exact area?

eugene

Can someone please remind me how to do this. I have an area in a photo that
I need filled with a cloned area from another photo. So, I select the area
that needs filled, to get the dimensions correct. How do I then move the
selected line into the other photo so I can clone the exact size. I hope
that is clear. I have done this way back but I cannot do it now, hopefully
just because I forget.

thanks

Joseph Meehan

eugene wrote:
> Can someone please remind me how to do this. I have an area in a
> photo that I need filled with a cloned area from another photo. So, I
> select the area that needs filled, to get the dimensions correct. How
> do I then move the selected line into the other photo so I can clone
> the exact size. I hope that is clear. I have done this way back but I
> cannot do it now, hopefully just because I forget.
>
> thanks

This would be different in different software. SO you will need to tell
us what software (Like Photoshop, etc.) you are using and what version. I
suspect a newsgroup devoted that software would have more knowledgeable
people to answer you questions as well.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

eugene

"Joseph Meehan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:0N%9g.39230$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> eugene wrote:
>> Can someone please remind me how to do this. I have an area in a
>> photo that I need filled with a cloned area from another photo. So, I
>> select the area that needs filled, to get the dimensions correct. How
>> do I then move the selected line into the other photo so I can clone
>> the exact size. I hope that is clear. I have done this way back but I
>> cannot do it now, hopefully just because I forget.
>>
>> thanks

> This would be different in different software. SO you will need to
> tell us what software (Like Photoshop, etc.) you are using and what
> version. I suspect a newsgroup devoted that software would have more
> knowledgeable people to answer you questions as well.
>
> --
> Joseph Meehan
>
> Dia duit

Using PS7

Bill Hilton

> eugene writes ...
>
>Can someone please remind me how to do this. I have an area in a photo that
>I need filled with a cloned area from another photo. So, I select the area
>that needs filled, to get the dimensions correct. How do I then move the
>selected line into the other photo so I can clone the exact size

So you just want to copy something of a fixed pixel size, right? You
said you have Photoshop 7 so you can do this with the Rectangular
Marquee tool, just select it from the Toolbox and in the 'style' drop
down menu pick 'fixed size' and enter the pixel dimensions. Set
'feather' to 0. Now make the selection and do edit - copy.

Bill

"eugene" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can someone please remind me how to do this. I have an area in a photo
> that
> I need filled with a cloned area from another photo. So, I select the area
> that needs filled, to get the dimensions correct. How do I then move the
> selected line into the other photo so I can clone the exact size.

Just drag the selected area to the other picture. You don't have to actually
use the area selected from the other image; the area will be retained and,
as you suggested, properly sized pixel-wise. The new area will be on a new
layer, which is a good thing. If you don't want the area _contents_ from the
other, just select outside the new area and invert the selection and do your
thing. There are more sophisticated things one can do with masks, but I
suspect you are looking for a convenient, quick solution. No?

(Don't use cut and paste. It wastes memory. PS is happier with the technique
of dragging from one image window to the other.)

eugene

"2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "eugene" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Can someone please remind me how to do this. I have an area in a photo
>> that
>> I need filled with a cloned area from another photo. So, I select the
>> area
>> that needs filled, to get the dimensions correct. How do I then move the
>> selected line into the other photo so I can clone the exact size.

> Just drag the selected area to the other picture. You don't have to
> actually use the area selected from the other image; the area will be
> retained and, as you suggested, properly sized pixel-wise. The new area
> will be on a new layer, which is a good thing. If you don't want the area
> _contents_ from the other, just select outside the new area and invert the
> selection and do your thing. There are more sophisticated things one can
> do with masks, but I suspect you are looking for a convenient, quick
> solution. No?
>
> (Don't use cut and paste. It wastes memory. PS is happier with the
> technique of dragging from one image window to the other.)

I discovered how to do it. I select the area size I want to insert, then use
the magic wand to drag the selected area size into the other picture, then I
copy and drag back to the original photo and voila...........my space is
filled! I hope all this made sense. The reason for it all was that I had to
insert two school children into a class photo that I took last week. I took
a snap of the pair this morning and it wasn't easy to get them looking right
in the new amended class photo as there were gaps to fill in. Anyway, I have
it done now and thanks to all who offered advice.

Eugene

Should copying always be exact? Terry Pinnell DVD Video 5 04-05-2006 06:16 AM
eXact.downloader =?Utf-8?B?ZmFuYm90?= Microsoft Certification 0 05-14-2005 02:08 AM
Exact Q & A Andreas MCSD 0 04-23-2005 06:35 AM
Which exact version? David Harrison Firefox 3 09-25-2004 04:02 PM
who knows the exact number of MCSE certificat holder individuals in the world? nabil MCSE 2 08-21-2003 11:23 AM

Advertisments