Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > camera or lens?

camera or lens?

J. Clarke

Bill wrote:

> J. Clarke wrote:
>
>>> All true, yet in the final analysis the same photographer with the
>>> same body will do better with a better lens.

>>A lens more suited to his purpose. One man's lovely soft-focus portrait
>>lens is another man's fuzzy piece of garbage.

> You can't improve the absolute sharpness and resolution of a poor lense,
> but you can reduce the sharpness of a good lense if you want a soft
> image.
>
> I would always go for the better lense.

Would you call a Leitz Thambar a "worse lens"?

Yes, you can soften in Photoshop, but it's more work than taking the shot
you wanted in the first place.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

Bill

J. Clarke wrote:

>>>A lens more suited to his purpose. One man's lovely soft-focus portrait
>>>lens is another man's fuzzy piece of garbage.

>> You can't improve the absolute sharpness and resolution of a poor lense,
>> but you can reduce the sharpness of a good lense if you want a soft
>> image.
>>
>> I would always go for the better lense.

>Would you call a Leitz Thambar a "worse lens"?
>
>Yes, you can soften in Photoshop, but it's more work than taking the shot
>you wanted in the first place.

Not a wise comparison.

If you don't mind spending the money for one of those, then you don't
need to worry about using Photoshop or anything else since your camera
bag will be full of goodies.

J. Clarke

Bill wrote:

>>> You can't improve the absolute sharpness and resolution of a poor lense,
>>> but you can reduce the sharpness of a good lense if you want a soft
>>> image.
>>>
>>> I would always go for the better lense.

>>Would you call a Leitz Thambar a "worse lens"?
>>
>>Yes, you can soften in Photoshop, but it's more work than taking the shot
>>you wanted in the first place.

> Not a wise comparison.
>
> If you don't mind spending the money for one of those, then you don't
> need to worry about using Photoshop or anything else since your camera
> bag will be full of goodies.

Not necessarily. If what you do is portraits and nothing but portraits it
might very well be the only lens in your bag.

Canon has a more or less equivalent by the way, the EF 135 f/2.8 soft focus,
for about $350, which is not going to break the bank of anybody who gets
paid to do portrait work.