Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon 350D. How to stop the film rewind sound?

Canon 350D. How to stop the film rewind sound?

michalkuls@o2.pl

Hello,
Does anyone have an idea is that possible to stop Canon 350D from
making this noisy sound? I really dont need it to make good pictures,
and sometimes I prefer my camera to be quiet...

=?iso-8859-1?Q?M=E5ns_Rullg=E5rd?=

> Hello,
> Does anyone have an idea is that possible to stop Canon 350D from
> making this noisy sound? I really dont need it to make good pictures,
> and sometimes I prefer my camera to be quiet...

The sound is from the shutter, and there is nothing you can do about
it. In fact, the 350D is one of the quieter DSLRs.

--
Måns Rullgård
(E-Mail Removed)

Prometheus

The sounds you get are entirely mechanical and inherent in any camera
with a mirror and a proper shutter*:
The mirror must be raised rapidly and decelerated
even more rapidly.
The first curtain of the shutter must open.
The second curtain of the shutter must close.
The mirror must return.
The shutter must be rewound.
These all make noise, some SLR cameras are quitter than others, my film
SLR is much louder that my 350D.

I would like a digital range finder with an APS-C sensor and a leaf
shutter for circumstances which dictate near silent operation.

* I a do not know how the new Olympus performs in all modes.

In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
(E-Mail Removed) writes
>Hello,
>Does anyone have an idea is that possible to stop Canon 350D from
>making this noisy sound? I really dont need it to make good pictures,
>and sometimes I prefer my camera to be quiet...

--
Ian G8ILZ

Joseph Meehan

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hello,
> Does anyone have an idea is that possible to stop Canon 350D from
> making this noisy sound? I really dont need it to make good pictures,
> and sometimes I prefer my camera to be quiet...

You might be able to lock the mirror up. That would reduce the sound,
but the shutter would still make noise and you would be be able to see
through the viewfinder.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Bill

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Hello,
>Does anyone have an idea is that possible to stop Canon 350D from
>making this noisy sound? I really dont need it to make good pictures,
>and sometimes I prefer my camera to be quiet...

That's one of the annoying things about the 350D/XT. The artificial
film-winder sound can not be disabled.

When I bought my XT I didn't notice it right away and just presumed it
was part of the mirror flip action. It wasn't as noisy as my film
camera, so it wasn't until I used by friends D70s that I realized the
noise was an added sound effect.

John McWilliams

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hello,
> Does anyone have an idea is that possible to stop Canon 350D from
> making this noisy sound? I really dont need it to make good pictures,
> and sometimes I prefer my camera to be quiet...

Turn it off immediately.

--
\lsmft\

Prometheus

In article <Oupj$(E-Mail Removed)>, Prometheus
<Prometheus@127.0.0.1> writes
Sorry,
Sorry,
Sorry,
Sorry,
Sorry,
Sorry,
Sorry,
Apologies for top posting; lunch was g-o-o-d.

--
Ian G8ILZ

Bill

Prometheus wrote:

>The sounds you get are entirely mechanical and inherent in any camera
>with a mirror and a proper shutter*:

Actually I don't believe it is.

The Canon XT/350D produces a film-advance type of sound that doesn't
appear to be related to the mirror slapping or shutters - the sound is
heard immediately after those actions.

You can listen to the XT and 20D here:
http://www.photo.net/equipment/canon/digital_rebel_xt/

The 20D sounds like my friends D70s and D200 but perhaps a bit louder.
While the XT definitely has a completely different design or it's an
artificial sound added to make it seem more familiar to a film camera.

>These all make noise, some SLR cameras are quitter than others, my film
>SLR is much louder that my 350D.

My film cameras had a quiet mirror slap and shutter, but loud film
advance motor. Overall the XT/350D is better than my film bodies.

But my friends D70s is noticeably more quiet than any of my Canon
cameras. The difference is quite dramatic and makes the Nikon camera
better suited to shooting in quiet areas. At a race track it won't
matter, but in a quiet hall it makes a big difference.

His new Nikon D200 is a bit louder than the D70s, but that may be due to
FPS speeds are higher on the D200 so the mirror slap is faster and
louder. Still they both sound better than the Canon XT.

Prometheus

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Bill
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>Prometheus wrote:
>
>>The sounds you get are entirely mechanical and inherent in any camera
>>with a mirror and a proper shutter*:

>Actually I don't believe it is.
>
>The Canon XT/350D produces a film-advance type of sound that doesn't
>appear to be related to the mirror slapping or shutters - the sound is
>heard immediately after those actions.
>
>You can listen to the XT and 20D here:
>http://www.photo.net/equipment/canon/digital_rebel_xt/

The "film advance" sound occurs just after the shutter closes and most
certainly does not emanate from the sounder used for the beep, it sound
deep in the centre of the camera, hence my contention that it is the
shutter being rewound. The 20D has a comparable sound just after taking
a picture, perhaps the mechanism is smother and faster in action
(greater shutter life and fps).
--
Ian G8ILZ

Pat

Listen to those noises again. It sounds EXACTLY like a tennis game on
T.V. I kept expecting someone to shout "OUT".