Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Motion Blur in DVD

Motion Blur in DVD

gamefree12345@yahoo.com

I shot a concert with a reasonably tight composition of the pianist.
She was moving her body back and forth during the play. The video was
captured in mini-dv tapes and transferred to my pc in avi format. When
I viewed the avi files, the pianist's face was clear without any motion
blur. Then I used Ulead to make a DVD from the avi files, and I
observed noticeable motion blur of her face when she moved.

I realize there is data loss due to mpeg2 compression. But will the
compression introduce a good amount of motion blur (clearly depends on
how fast the subject moves)? Could this be more than a format (mpeg2)
problem? Will the conversion program contribute to this program? In
other words, is it possible to reduce the motion blur effect if another
DVD authoring program is used? Thanks.

Michael

Matt Ion

> I shot a concert with a reasonably tight composition of the pianist.
> She was moving her body back and forth during the play. The video was
> captured in mini-dv tapes and transferred to my pc in avi format. When
> I viewed the avi files, the pianist's face was clear without any motion
> blur. Then I used Ulead to make a DVD from the avi files, and I
> observed noticeable motion blur of her face when she moved.
>
> I realize there is data loss due to mpeg2 compression. But will the
> compression introduce a good amount of motion blur (clearly depends on
> how fast the subject moves)? Could this be more than a format (mpeg2)
> problem? Will the conversion program contribute to this program? In
> other words, is it possible to reduce the motion blur effect if another
> DVD authoring program is used? Thanks.

Is Ulead perhaps altering the framerate? It SHOULD be 29.97 fps NTSC
across the board, but if you're creating a project file at 30 fps, that
could do it.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0619-3, 05/12/2006
Tested on: 5/13/2006 6:37:20 PM

Kevin McMurtrie

In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> I shot a concert with a reasonably tight composition of the pianist.
> She was moving her body back and forth during the play. The video was
> captured in mini-dv tapes and transferred to my pc in avi format. When
> I viewed the avi files, the pianist's face was clear without any motion
> blur. Then I used Ulead to make a DVD from the avi files, and I
> observed noticeable motion blur of her face when she moved.
>
> I realize there is data loss due to mpeg2 compression. But will the
> compression introduce a good amount of motion blur (clearly depends on
> how fast the subject moves)? Could this be more than a format (mpeg2)
> problem? Will the conversion program contribute to this program? In
> other words, is it possible to reduce the motion blur effect if another
> DVD authoring program is used? Thanks.
>
> Michael

Recompression with a different lossy format causes a lot of damage. In
this case you probably changed image dimensions, went from rectangular
to square then back to rectangular pixels, resampled the frame rate, and
used a different codec. That's why pros have massive disk RAIDs - to
hold all the lossless compressed video.

Mark Stead

Could be related to deinterlacing. Presumabaly the original AVI was interlaced,
and would require deinterlacing to allow resizing to a different vertical
resolution and conversion to MPEG2.

I don't think compression would be a problem - and this is more likely to be
evident as loss of detail where the image breaks into squares.

If you are creating an interlaced DVD and then displaying the image on a
progressive display (eg computer monitor or plasma/LCD) then you are possibly
getting further blurring.