Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon S3 IS woth the price?

Canon S3 IS woth the price?

DznyNut@gmail.com

I have been contemplating purchasing the Canon S3 IS for quite some
time now. I want something that a beginner as well as an intermediate
user coud appreciate within the $450 - $500 range. The reviews so far
tout it as a good choice. Are there any Canon S3 owners out there?
Care to share your opinion? Should I be looking at other
brands/models?

Importants points for me:

High quality images
Rechargable batteries
12X optical zoom
Image stabilization
Small size

My last camera was the Fujifilm S7000. I was never crazy about the
image quality. Maybe my hand was not steady enpugh.

-John-

Gordon

I have the S2IS and I am very happy with it. I don't remember the
differences with the S3 version.
Gordon

On Sat, 13 May 2006 19:03:41 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>I have been contemplating purchasing the Canon S3 IS for quite some
>time now. I want something that a beginner as well as an intermediate
>user coud appreciate within the $450 - $500 range. The reviews so far
>tout it as a good choice. Are there any Canon S3 owners out there?
>Care to share your opinion? Should I be looking at other
>brands/models?
>
>Importants points for me:
>
>High quality images
>Rechargable batteries
>12X optical zoom
>Image stabilization
>Small size
>
>My last camera was the Fujifilm S7000. I was never crazy about the
>image quality. Maybe my hand was not steady enpugh.
>
>-John-

russell

I have an S1, S2 and have had an S3 for a week. I think the S1 was great and
the S3 is Awesome. I just wish I hadn't spent my "hard earned" on the S2. I
will be keeping the S1 and trying to sell the S2. I really think the S2 is
the odd one out.

russell

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have the S2IS and I am very happy with it. I don't remember the
> differences with the S3 version.
> Gordon

DubDriver

"russell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4466c9cf$0$15713$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have an S1, S2 and have had an S3 for a week. I think the S1 was great
>and the S3 is Awesome. I just wish I hadn't spent my "hard earned" on the
>S2. I will be keeping the S1 and trying to sell the S2. I really think the
>S2 is the odd one out.

Why do you think that?

y_p_w

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> I have been contemplating purchasing the Canon S3 IS for quite some
> time now. I want something that a beginner as well as an intermediate
> user coud appreciate within the $450 - $500 range. The reviews so far
> tout it as a good choice. Are there any Canon S3 owners out there?

It just came out, so there are only going to be a limited
number of people who have their hands on one. I've got
the S1 IS, and I just ordered one as an upgrade. My big
concern will be a different memory card format (S1 IS used
CF), but new SD cards can be bought dirt cheap. I do like
the black color though - to me cameras should be black.

> Care to share your opinion? Should I be looking at other
> brands/models?
>
> Importants points for me:
>
> High quality images
> Rechargable batteries
> 12X optical zoom
> Image stabilization
> Small size

The batteries are simply 4 AAs. You can use alkalines,
which I believe come in the box. I think you'd be lucky
to get 100 pictures from a set of alkalines. I tried
alkalines when I first got my S1 IS, and it quit around
60 shots. Invest in several sets of high quality AAs
and a good charger, and you're set.

My main concern with my S1 IS was the lack of an AF-
assist lamp, which the S2 IS took care of. I take a lot
of indoor sports pictures without a flash, and the new
one is supposed to be far less noisy and has an ISO 800
setting.

> My last camera was the Fujifilm S7000. I was never crazy about the
> image quality. Maybe my hand was not steady enpugh.

Image stabilization isn't the complete answer. If your
hand isn't steady enough, you'll still get a blurry
image at low shutter speeds.

y_p_w

y_p_w wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > Care to share your opinion? Should I be looking at other
> > brands/models?
> >
> > Importants points for me:
> >
> > High quality images
> > Rechargable batteries
> > 12X optical zoom
> > Image stabilization
> > Small size

> The batteries are simply 4 AAs. You can use alkalines,
> which I believe come in the box. I think you'd be lucky
> to get 100 pictures from a set of alkalines. I tried
> alkalines when I first got my S1 IS, and it quit around
> 60 shots. Invest in several sets of high quality AAs
> and a good charger, and you're set.

That should read, "Invest in several sets of high quality
NiMH AA's....."

> My main concern with my S1 IS was the lack of an AF-
> assist lamp, which the S2 IS took care of. I take a lot
> of indoor sports pictures without a flash, and the new
> one is supposed to be far less noisy and has an ISO 800
> setting.
>
> > My last camera was the Fujifilm S7000. I was never crazy about the
> > image quality. Maybe my hand was not steady enpugh.

> Image stabilization isn't the complete answer. If your
> hand isn't steady enough, you'll still get a blurry
> image at low shutter speeds.

A monopod can help. That combined with the IS can
really reduce camera shake.

Ian B

I'm looking at either the Panasonic FZ30 or Canon S3 IS. They are so similar
except FZ30 is 8mp, However, I noticed the CCD on Canon is 1/2.5" (6mp)
whereas the FZ30 is 1/1.8" (8mp). It seems the Canon has a bigger CCD but
smaller in mp? What is the significance of this?

If someone could explain this in basic terms I would be grateful.

Thanks,
Ian
"y_p_w" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> y_p_w wrote:
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> > Care to share your opinion? Should I be looking at other
>> > brands/models?
>> >
>> > Importants points for me:
>> >
>> > High quality images
>> > Rechargable batteries
>> > 12X optical zoom
>> > Image stabilization
>> > Small size

>> The batteries are simply 4 AAs. You can use alkalines,
>> which I believe come in the box. I think you'd be lucky
>> to get 100 pictures from a set of alkalines. I tried
>> alkalines when I first got my S1 IS, and it quit around
>> 60 shots. Invest in several sets of high quality AAs
>> and a good charger, and you're set.

> That should read, "Invest in several sets of high quality
> NiMH AA's....."
>
>> My main concern with my S1 IS was the lack of an AF-
>> assist lamp, which the S2 IS took care of. I take a lot
>> of indoor sports pictures without a flash, and the new
>> one is supposed to be far less noisy and has an ISO 800
>> setting.
>>
>> > My last camera was the Fujifilm S7000. I was never crazy about the
>> > image quality. Maybe my hand was not steady enpugh.

>> Image stabilization isn't the complete answer. If your
>> hand isn't steady enough, you'll still get a blurry
>> image at low shutter speeds.

> A monopod can help. That combined with the IS can
> really reduce camera shake.

ASAAR

On Tue, 16 May 2006 15:53:25 +0100, Ian B wrote:

> However, I noticed the CCD on Canon is 1/2.5" (6mp)
> whereas the FZ30 is 1/1.8" (8mp). It seems the Canon has a bigger CCD
> but smaller in mp? What is the significance of this?

Murky math. Which is larger, 1/2 or 1/10?

y_p_w

Ian B wrote:
> I'm looking at either the Panasonic FZ30 or Canon S3 IS. They are so similar
> except FZ30 is 8mp, However, I noticed the CCD on Canon is 1/2.5" (6mp)
> whereas the FZ30 is 1/1.8" (8mp). It seems the Canon has a bigger CCD but
> smaller in mp? What is the significance of this?

I'm not usually one to think that the "megapixel race" is that big a
deal except for marketing types or for those who really want to make
big prints. The majority posting to online galleries or sending via
email don't send 3 MB files, but downsize for display. I think 640 x
480 is a fairly representative size. Maybe even 800 x 600.

Actually - 1/1.8" is larger than 1/2.5". It's a diagonal measurement,
like televisions. It gets complicated because the measurement isn't
the actual diagonal measurement of the sensor.

<http://www.dpreview.com/news/0210/02100402sensorsizes.asp>

What the final result brings depends on way too many factors than
the size of the sensor. Part of it is the individual size of the
pixel. A larger pixel will grab more light and theoretically can bring
in more information with less noise. It's not exactly that simple,
but it gets too detailed to explain in a few paragraphs.

Larger sensors are good in theory. However - they need larger
lenses to capture the same effective zoom. The real revolution
will be when the current compact sensors approach the noise
level of today's dSLRs. Of course the dSLR sensors will likely
improve by that time.

Daniel Silevitch

On Tue, 16 May 2006 15:53:25 +0100, Ian B <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I'm looking at either the Panasonic FZ30 or Canon S3 IS. They are so similar
> except FZ30 is 8mp, However, I noticed the CCD on Canon is 1/2.5" (6mp)
> whereas the FZ30 is 1/1.8" (8mp). It seems the Canon has a bigger CCD but
> smaller in mp? What is the significance of this?
>
> If someone could explain this in basic terms I would be grateful.

Actually, you've got the relative sizes of the sensors backwards; the
FZ30 has a somewhat larger sensor than the S3IS. See this for details:
http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/Glos...r_sizes_01.htm

Without doing the math, I suspect that the area per pixel is roughly
comparable for the two cameras, and the FZ30's sensor is bigger because
it has more pixels.

It should be noted, by the way, that the FZ30 isn't really equivalent to
the S3; it's a bigger, somewhat higher-end, model with features like a
flash hot-shoe and a manually-driven zoom ring. The right camera in
Panasonic's line to compare with is the FZ7.

-dms