Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > JPEG and quality loss...

JPEG and quality loss...

Sniper

Is it true that everytime you re-save a Jpeg file
(for example after editing it) you lose quality?. If so, is this
quality loss noticeable to the human eye?. I am asking because I often
re-open old photos saved in jpeg format to do extra colour/lighting
work etc and then re-save in jpeg format.

thanks for any advice

Rudy Benner

"Sniper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Is it true that everytime you re-save a Jpeg file
> (for example after editing it) you lose quality?. If so, is this
> quality loss noticeable to the human eye?. I am asking because I often
> re-open old photos saved in jpeg format to do extra colour/lighting
> work etc and then re-save in jpeg format.
>
> thanks for any advice

Yes, that is true. Is it noticeable? Perhaps. Most folks would not notice.
Save your intermediate results in a non compressed format.
Keep copies of your originals.

Ed Ruf

On 12 May 2006 09:45:46 -0700, in rec.photo.digital "Sniper"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Is it true that everytime you re-save a Jpeg file
>(for example after editing it) you lose quality?. If so, is this
>quality loss noticeable to the human eye?. I am asking because I often
>re-open old photos saved in jpeg format to do extra colour/lighting
>work etc and then re-save in jpeg format.

Yes. How much is lost depends upon the amount of compression you have
chosen and the content of the image it self. If you are going to do
multiple edits you should use a non-lossy format to save to and only
convert to jpeg as the final step when you specifically need this
format. Consider using the native format of you image editing program
if it has one, otherwise tiff or png will be better than jpeg.
http://EdwardGRuf.com