Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > shutter lag

shutter lag

MarkČ

Celcius wrote:
> "Mike Fields" <spam_me_not_mr.gadget2@comcastDOTnet> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "MarkČ" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Because he's after minimum shutter lag...and that's how he can get
>>> it. If he wants more lenses down the road, he'll have that option.

>>> Ya. It is more than twice that, but not if he buys a used DSLR like
>>> the 300D or even a used 10D.
>>> There are many low-cost DSLR options.
>>> I don't say it's his only option, but it may be worth consideration.
>>> Em tasol!
>>>

>> Somehow, I suspect "Cathy" is a "she" ...
>>

> Mike,
> Who cares about sex when you have a shutter lag problem ? ))))

Even worse... Lens droop!

MarkČ

MarkČ wrote:
> Celcius wrote:
>> "Mike Fields" <spam_me_not_mr.gadget2@comcastDOTnet> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> "MarkČ" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote in
>>> message news:bdY8g.19037$Qz.6541@fed1read11...

>>> Somehow, I suspect "Cathy" is a "she" ...
>>>

>> Mike,
>> Who cares about sex when you have a shutter lag problem ? ))))

> Even worse... Lens droop!

And then there's the dreaded premature shutter release...

ASAAR

On Fri, 12 May 2006 22:27:49 -0700, "MarkČ", who mutters strange
incantations as he dusts his lenses with Desenex, wrote:

>>> Who cares about sex when you have a shutter lag problem ? ))))

>> Even worse... Lens droop!

> And then there's the dreaded premature shutter release...

So that's why you're unhappy that 5Ds lacks the sealing that keeps
out moisture. A bad case of joint fungus would be far worse than
premature shutter release, and it might also lead to a permanent
case of lens droop.

Ron Hunter

cathy wrote:
> I'm looking to stay around 350.00 no more then 400.00

Checking review for mention of shutter lag will help in your search.
Note that ALL digitals will have some shutter lag. Also, the term
usually refers to a timing that doesn't take autofocus times into
consideration. If you use your DX6340 properly, you can minimize the
lag. I doubt that by spending any reasonable amount of money you will
realize a significant improvement over the delay you have now if the
DX6340 is used properly. Learning to use the scene modes, and the
prefocus will do more to improve the situation than spending another
$400 for a new camera.

Steffen Kluge

> The Sony DSC-H1 , DSC-H2 and DCS- H5 all have very fast shutter lag at
> about .0095 seconds when pre-focused

A mere 9.5ms?? DPreview tested it and found it to be 100ms (DSC-H1).
Maybe you need to drop a zero?

The Nikon D2H specs says 37ms, which was too low for DPreview to measure.

Cheers
Steffen.

tnom@mucks.net

>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> The Sony DSC-H1 , DSC-H2 and DCS- H5 all have very fast shutter lag at
>> about .0095 seconds when pre-focused

>A mere 9.5ms?? DPreview tested it and found it to be 100ms (DSC-H1).
>Maybe you need to drop a zero?

You need a math refresher. The term ms stands for milli-second. So
that 100ms = .1 second. DPreview tested the H1 at .011 second or
11ms, not 100ms as you stated.

>The Nikon D2H specs says 37ms, which was too low for DPreview to measure.

DPreview rates the pre-focused shutter lag of the Nikon D2H at .045
seconds or four times slower than the point and shoot Sonys.

Specifically:

DPreview measured the H1 at .011 seconds.

Sony measured the H2 and the H5 at .0095 seconds

Steffen Kluge

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> You need a math refresher. The term ms stands for milli-second. So

Thanks for the lesson...

> that 100ms = .1 second. DPreview tested the H1 at .011 second or
> 11ms, not 100ms as you stated.

You need glasses. They tested the H1 at 0.1s, i.e. 100ms:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydsch1/page4.asp

> DPreview rates the pre-focused shutter lag of the Nikon D2H at .045
> seconds or four times slower than the point and shoot Sonys.

Where did you find that?? This page:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond2h/page12.asp
says:

"The one thing I can't measure but must talk about is shutter release
lag which appears to be nonexistent"

Which dpreview.com are talking about?

Cheers
Steffen.

tnom@mucks.net

>You need glasses. They tested the H1 at 0.1s, i.e. 100ms:
>http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydsch1/page4.asp

Those are approximate values that do not have the resolution to more
accurately represent the actual number. DPreview does not get precise
enough. Imaging-Resource does. For more accurate measurement go here.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/H1/H1DATA.HTM

and here.

http://media.sonystyle-europe.com/en...feature_1.html

>> DPreview rates the pre-focused shutter lag of the Nikon D2H at .045
>> seconds or four times slower than the point and shoot Sonys.

I should of said Imaging-Resource instead of DPreview. My mistake but
here are the more precise measurements made by Imaging-Resource.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/D2H/D2HA7.HTM

>Which dpreview.com are talking about?

The Imaging - Resource one.