Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Older Canon lenses -> EOS

Older Canon lenses -> EOS

Bruce W. Ellis

Is there an adapter that allows older Canon (manual focus) lenses to
be used on an EOS (esp. digital) Canon SLR (in manual focus mode of
course)? A friend and I have some nice older (~30 years) Canon
lenses. Thanks.

Neil

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Bruce W. Ellis
<ellis*nospam*@stcloudstate.edu> writes
>Is there an adapter that allows older Canon (manual focus) lenses to
>be used on an EOS (esp. digital) Canon SLR (in manual focus mode of
>course)? A friend and I have some nice older (~30 years) Canon
>lenses. Thanks.

They are available, for example:

<http://www.loobylins.co.uk/index.asp...CT&productid=3
76>

Canon made one in the early days of EF lenses which is said to be very
good, but I think it is now an expensive collectors item.

Googling 'fd ef adapter' turns up quite a few hits. I would imagine the
optical quality takes a hit, but it depends what you want the photos
for, for web pages probably fine, for blowing up to A3 size, probably
not!

Regards,
--
Neil

nikojorj_jaimepaslapub@yahoo.Fr

Bruce W. Ellis wrote:
> Is there an adapter that allows older Canon (manual focus) lenses to
> be used on an EOS (esp. digital) Canon SLR (in manual focus mode of
> course)? A friend and I have some nice older (~30 years) Canon
> lenses. Thanks.

Kind of a frequently asked question ;o)!

There are some FD > EF adapters, see eg eBay, but they ALL need some
optics to allow the lens to focus at infinity, and so they give not as
good quality as the lens alone.
Your choice!

tomm42

Bruce W. Ellis wrote:
> Is there an adapter that allows older Canon (manual focus) lenses to
> be used on an EOS (esp. digital) Canon SLR (in manual focus mode of
> course)? A friend and I have some nice older (~30 years) Canon
> lenses. Thanks.

Just went trough that this winter, no real options. The $40 variety
throws a cheap piece of glass between a good lens and good camera,
being a very weak link. You loose the auto aperture too. The Canon
adapter is rare and was only designed to work with certain telephoto
lenses. When Canon dropped the FD mount they really dropped it, totally
orphaned.

Tom

henryp

Bruce W. Ellis wrote:
> Is there an adapter that allows older Canon (manual focus) lenses to
> be used on an EOS

Hama makes one.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...u=89910&is=REG

I know one guy here who tried it and he said the quality was pretty
good, all things considered, but any way you cut it, it's kludgy.

Henry Posner
B&H Photo-Video, Inc.