Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > buying on ebay

buying on ebay

jlewis@covlife.org

I am thinking about buying a digital camera on ebay and does anyone
have any advice for me. I've never had a good experience buying on
ebay. I know of people that have gotten good deals on ebay and I was
wondering what is the best method?

I am specifically looking at getting a canon powershot with 4.0
megapixels. What should be hints the camera I am looking at isn't a
lemon? Thanks! I just don't want to get ripped off because this is
for my fiancee

Mark²

> I am thinking about buying a digital camera on ebay and does anyone
> have any advice for me. I've never had a good experience buying on
> ebay. I know of people that have gotten good deals on ebay and I was
> wondering what is the best method?
>
> I am specifically looking at getting a canon powershot with 4.0
> megapixels. What should be hints the camera I am looking at isn't a
> lemon? Thanks! I just don't want to get ripped off because this is
> for my fiancee

If you already have bad experiences with E-bay...and...If this is for your
fiance', bite the bullet and buy a new camera. E-bay tends to be a seller's
market anyway.

What is your budget/target price?

-Mark²

JimmyG

I've spent about $10k on photo equipment in the last year, over half of
which was purchased on Ebay.

1)Don't let yourself get caught in bidding wars. RESEARCH THE REASONABLE
PRICE that you can get elsewhere, & don't exceed it. Good or better deals
can be found by Googling the item, then buying it on Amazon, or from Adorama
or B&H, for example.
2) Watch newly posted items, especially buy-it-now items.
3) Pay attention to feedback. Some negative is OK from high-volume sellers
if it is not excessive, & seems to come from inexperienced buyers.

Check Cameta Camera on Ebay. Usually good deals, & great service (For me,
anyhow).

--
Jimmy Greene
Santee, CA / Lake Oswego, OR

hellman@stanford.edu

One other thing to watch out for on eBay that happened to me with a
different piece of electronics (a ReplayTV unit): Even though the unit
was brand new, I had no manufacturer's warranty since I hadn't
purchased it from a dealer. The guy who sold it to me had that warranty
and I would have had to ship the unit back to him, have him get the
warranty repair, and then have him ship it back to me. Maybe on a
camera it's not an issue (and maybe you could even register the
warranty), but with the ReplayTV it was a major problem, and not
something I'd heard about before.

David Dyer-Bennet

(E-Mail Removed) writes:

> I am thinking about buying a digital camera on ebay and does anyone
> have any advice for me. I've never had a good experience buying on
> ebay. I know of people that have gotten good deals on ebay and I was
> wondering what is the best method?
>
> I am specifically looking at getting a canon powershot with 4.0
> megapixels. What should be hints the camera I am looking at isn't a
> lemon? Thanks! I just don't want to get ripped off because this is
> for my fiancee

I've bought a number of things on ebay, and before that through
contacts made on Usenet newsgroups. All but one of the transactions
have been fully satisfactory. In one case a lens was somewhat more
used than I was expecting, and I ended up paying for a
clean-lubricate-adjust before I was happy with it. I bought two
lenses in March that I've been quite happy with, both the lens and the
price.

Getting a *bargain* on ebay is harder than getting a good
transaction. The big point is to not let yourself get attached to
buying one *particular* item; you have to be willing to let it go if
the price goes to more than you'll be happy with, and start bidding on
the next one instead.

You'll get the best prices by making one bid, at the last minute (or
last 20 seconds), of the full amount you're willing to pay. This is
often called "sniping", and many people find it an offensive tactic.
But it's perfectly legal, and it actually makes philsophical sense --
it's a reaction to the fact that, on Ebay, an auction has a fixed
*end* time, and does not require active attention from the
participants at all times throughout the auction. Both of these are
very different from a normal in-person auction, and so different
strategies make sense. (A "sniping"-based approach works out okay for
all competing buyers and for the seller, if everybody uses it; it's
not an "I-win-you-lose" thing). It ends up making the auction work
like a typical "silent auction", except the high bidder isn't
committed to his full bid, just to the next-high bidder's + minimum
increment.

I understand why people are upset if somebody bids $1 more than
they're willing to at the last minute -- but hey, if they were
actually willing to bid $1 more, then the should have done so! (You
do know how ebay's proxy bidding system works, right? The above will
make little sense if you don't.)

Searching what prices similar items have recently sold for is very
educational.
RKBA: <http://www.dd-b.net/carry/>

AZ Nomad

On 11 May 2006 22:42:50 -0500, David Dyer-Bennet <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>You'll get the best prices by making one bid, at the last minute (or
>last 20 seconds), of the full amount you're willing to pay. This is
>often called "sniping", and many people find it an offensive tactic.

You can get the same effect by bidding the exact same price 5 days prior.

If nobody is willing to pay more than your bid, you'll get it.
If somebody wants it more than you, you'll lose out if you bid
at the last minute too.

I'd rather search buy-now sometimes. I once lost 12 laptop auctions,
including ones I only joined during the last minute. The auctions
were commanding top dollar, more than I was willing to spend.

Richard Bornstein

I have had very good success with ebay, including buying a Kodak P&S camera
and 2 laptop computers. As others have said, don't go any higher than you
think would be a good deal, another one will soon come up for auction. If
you have the patience, you will get what you want at a great price.

Be careful of the shipping charges. Some people will sneak in exorbantly
excessive shipping charges since they don't have to pay commission to ebay
on that, and it's like a minimum bid for them.

Also look at their record and read some of the negative responses, so see if
they are valid. Some people will complain even if the description is just
what they got.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>I am thinking about buying a digital camera on ebay and does anyone
> have any advice for me. I've never had a good experience buying on
> ebay. I know of people that have gotten good deals on ebay and I was
> wondering what is the best method?
>
> I am specifically looking at getting a canon powershot with 4.0
> megapixels. What should be hints the camera I am looking at isn't a
> lemon? Thanks! I just don't want to get ripped off because this is
> for my fiancee

Dave Martindale

AZ Nomad <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>On 11 May 2006 22:42:50 -0500, David Dyer-Bennet <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>You'll get the best prices by making one bid, at the last minute (or
>>last 20 seconds), of the full amount you're willing to pay. This is
>>often called "sniping", and many people find it an offensive tactic.

>You can get the same effect by bidding the exact same price 5 days prior.

It depends on who else is bidding. If *everyone* knows their maximum
and won't go over it, then there's no advantage to budding late, and in
fact one advantage to bidding early: if there are two equal high bids,
the earlier one wins.

On the other hand, there are some bidders who don't know what their
maximum is, but who are willing to pay $1 more than whatever someone
else thinks it is worth. You can see it in the bidding history for some
auctions - they keep increasing their bid in small increments until
either they are the high bidder, or they quit leaving the same person as
high bidder, but forcing the winner to pay more. Or you'll see two
people in a bidding war, increasing their bids again and again.

By bidding at the last moment (sniping), you deny the "ratchet" bidders
any advance information about how much *you* are willing to pay. If
everyone who is seriously interested snipes, then a single ratchet
bidder will be the high bidder for most of the auction, won't increase
their bid in response to other bidders, and then will not have time to
respond to all of the other bids that arrive 10 seconds from the end.

If you bid early, you provide a competitor for someone who thinks Ebay
is like a live auction. If you bid at the last moment, you do not.

>If nobody is willing to pay more than your bid, you'll get it.
>If somebody wants it more than you, you'll lose out if you bid
>at the last minute too.

That's true if everyone else knows their limit and bids rationally.
Unfortunately, ebay bidders don't always abide by those assumptions.

Dave

Don Dunlap

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>I am thinking about buying a digital camera on ebay and does anyone
> have any advice for me. I've never had a good experience buying on
> ebay. I know of people that have gotten good deals on ebay and I was
> wondering what is the best method?
>
> I am specifically looking at getting a canon powershot with 4.0
> megapixels. What should be hints the camera I am looking at isn't a
> lemon? Thanks! I just don't want to get ripped off because this is
> for my fiancee

I have mixed emotions about e-bay. I have bought and sold many items there
and have been pleased most of the time. The problem I have is buying
anything that is used. I would never buy a camera or lens used because
there is a very good chance that the seller is getting rid of it because of
some problem that it has.

With a lens, there are always those that are not quite as good as others.
Even with a Canon "L" lens, you can get one that is not quite up to snuff
and the seller might be dumping it because of this. A good used lens sells
for almost the price of a new one anyway, so I will always go for the new
one from B&H.

Don Dunlap

David Dyer-Bennet

AZ Nomad <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> On 11 May 2006 22:42:50 -0500, David Dyer-Bennet <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >You'll get the best prices by making one bid, at the last minute (or
> >last 20 seconds), of the full amount you're willing to pay. This is
> >often called "sniping", and many people find it an offensive tactic.

> You can get the same effect by bidding the exact same price 5 days prior.

I don't believe so. Many people will work themselves up slowly to a
bid when they see the competition, that they'd never reach bidding
blind.

> If nobody is willing to pay more than your bid, you'll get it.
> If somebody wants it more than you, you'll lose out if you bid
> at the last minute too.
>
> I'd rather search buy-now sometimes. I once lost 12 laptop auctions,
> including ones I only joined during the last minute. The auctions
> were commanding top dollar, more than I was willing to spend.

People on ebay sometimes pay prices higher than MSRP for items that
actuall *are* available in stores. (Very different from paying above
list for something new and in short supply.) I think some people
don't do their research, or else they just get caught up in the
adrenaline rush of competitive bidding.
RKBA: <http://www.dd-b.net/carry/>

Ebay buying SkyPE PhilÅ UK VOIP 3 09-12-2005 01:05 PM
Buying camera gear on eBay PeterH Digital Photography 13 03-06-2004 03:54 PM
Battery buying on Ebay Doc Digital Photography 15 01-23-2004 10:47 AM

Advertisments