Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Recommendation please?

Recommendation please?

Terry Pinnell

I need to exchange a camera bought me as a gift from Amazon UK. Price
was about 250 but I'm looking at 200 - 300. It will replace my
trusty Sony DSC P1, and top priorities are:
1. Compactness.
2. Resolution minimum 5 MP (v the Sony's 3MP, which has delivered me
some very satisfactory photos over the years).
3. Fast action. That's one major gripe I have with my P1 - it takes
ages from seeing my target to getting it captured.
4. Easy to use. Like the Sony. Ideally not requiring software; just
getting recognised as a drive on my XP Home PC.

If possible (at 300?!) I'd also like features such as

5. Decent light gathering (ASA rating?)
6. Better flash than Sony's puny facility
7. Wide angle. I take lots of landscapes.
8. CF or SD card rather than Sony's proprietary and expensive Memory
Stick.
9. Anti-vibration

I know it's largely a matter of personal opinion, but I'd much
appreciate recommendations please.

Just to repeat: it has to be from Amazon!

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

silvercelt

Look on here :-
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Sony/
then see if Amazon does the camera you wish to have.

http://www.lornakemble.net/

Bruce Hoult

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Terry Pinnell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I need to exchange a camera bought me as a gift from Amazon UK. Price
> was about 250 but I'm looking at 200 - 300. It will replace my
> trusty Sony DSC P1, and top priorities are:
> 1. Compactness.
> 2. Resolution minimum 5 MP (v the Sony's 3MP, which has delivered me
> some very satisfactory photos over the years).
> 3. Fast action. That's one major gripe I have with my P1 - it takes
> ages from seeing my target to getting it captured.
> 4. Easy to use. Like the Sony. Ideally not requiring software; just
> getting recognised as a drive on my XP Home PC.
>
> If possible (at 300?!) I'd also like features such as
>
> 5. Decent light gathering (ASA rating?)
> 6. Better flash than Sony's puny facility
> 7. Wide angle. I take lots of landscapes.
> 8. CF or SD card rather than Sony's proprietary and expensive Memory
> Stick.
> 9. Anti-vibration
>
> I know it's largely a matter of personal opinion, but I'd much
> appreciate recommendations please.
>
> Just to repeat: it has to be from Amazon!

If you can sacrifice compactness, and can stretch to nearer to 400 then
you can get some really *excellent* cameras:

384.23 Olympus E-300 8Mp SLR with 14-45mm lens (equiv to 28-90mm on a
35mm film camera)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...lf_ce_1/026-68
86345-5388402

393.49 Nikon D50 6Mp SLR with 18-55mm Lens (equiv to 27-83mm on a 35mm
film camera)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...lf_ce_4/026-68
86345-5388402

Both are really nice cameras with instant picture taking (especially the
Nikon) and far more light-gathering capability than you'll find on a
pocket camera, and wider angle than you'll find on almost any pocket
camera.

--
Bruce | 41.1670S | \ spoken | -+-

alheim

The first currency converter site that I found informed me that 250
is approximately $472.34 in US dollars, and that's enough to get you
the Sony DSC-W100. It came out about 3 weeks ago, and I'm a big fan of
it (biased, I know, I'm sorry) - but check out the specs on the
dpreview site that silvercelt gave you a link to.

It's got a good flash & even better ISO performance (actually, up to
1250 ISO). However, it has only a 38mm wide angle and no IS - but IS
is unnecessary IMHO if you're good at what you do.

The Panasonic Lumix FX01 is a nice camera as well, with 28mm wide angle
- also very compact. There's a review of it on dpreview. Anyway, just
my $0.02 (<- how does one express 'my own two cents' in UK terms??) ..

-Alheim

Neil Ellwood

On Fri, 12 May 2006 09:11:21 -0700, alheim wrote:

> The Panasonic Lumix FX01 is a nice camera as well, with 28mm wide angle -
> also very compact. There's a review of it on dpreview. Anyway, just my
> $0.02 (<- how does one express 'my own two cents' in UK terms??) ..
>
> -Alheim

two penn'orth (two penny worth).
--
Neil
Delete 'l' to reply

Terry Pinnell

"alheim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>The first currency converter site that I found informed me that 250
>is approximately $472.34 in US dollars, and that's enough to get you
>the Sony DSC-W100. It came out about 3 weeks ago, and I'm a big fan of
>it (biased, I know, I'm sorry) - but check out the specs on the
>dpreview site that silvercelt gave you a link to.
>
>It's got a good flash & even better ISO performance (actually, up to
>1250 ISO). However, it has only a 38mm wide angle and no IS - but IS
>is unnecessary IMHO if you're good at what you do.
>
>The Panasonic Lumix FX01 is a nice camera as well, with 28mm wide angle
>- also very compact. There's a review of it on dpreview. Anyway, just
>my $0.02 (<- how does one express 'my own two cents' in UK terms??) ..

Thanks Alheim, that looks a candidate. It's 260UKP from Amazon UK.

Any more please? I half expected to be buried in replies from
enthusiastic compact owners!

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

Daniel Silevitch

On Thu, 11 May 2006 08:53:57 +0100, Terry Pinnell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I need to exchange a camera bought me as a gift from Amazon UK. Price
> was about 250 but I'm looking at 200 - 300. It will replace my
> trusty Sony DSC P1, and top priorities are:
> 1. Compactness.
> 2. Resolution minimum 5 MP (v the Sony's 3MP, which has delivered me
> some very satisfactory photos over the years).
> 3. Fast action. That's one major gripe I have with my P1 - it takes
> ages from seeing my target to getting it captured.
> 4. Easy to use. Like the Sony. Ideally not requiring software; just
> getting recognised as a drive on my XP Home PC.
>
> If possible (at 300?!) I'd also like features such as
>
> 5. Decent light gathering (ASA rating?)
> 6. Better flash than Sony's puny facility
> 7. Wide angle. I take lots of landscapes.
> 8. CF or SD card rather than Sony's proprietary and expensive Memory
> Stick.
> 9. Anti-vibration

Anti-shake will cut the number of candidates way down, particularly if
you want a real mechanical anti-vibration system rather then an ISO
boost or similar. Off-hand, that would be

Panasonic FX-01 (and its predecesor, the FX-9)
Canon SD700IS

I think there's a Sony ultra-compact with a stabilizer, but I'm not
sure. If you want wide angles, you're better off with the Panasonic, as
it goes to 28 mm, vs 35 for the Canon.

See http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfx01/ for a comprehensive
review.

-dms

Terry Pinnell

Daniel Silevitch <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Thu, 11 May 2006 08:53:57 +0100, Terry Pinnell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I need to exchange a camera bought me as a gift from Amazon UK. Price
>> was about 250 but I'm looking at 200 - 300. It will replace my
>> trusty Sony DSC P1, and top priorities are:
>> 1. Compactness.
>> 2. Resolution minimum 5 MP (v the Sony's 3MP, which has delivered me
>> some very satisfactory photos over the years).
>> 3. Fast action. That's one major gripe I have with my P1 - it takes
>> ages from seeing my target to getting it captured.
>> 4. Easy to use. Like the Sony. Ideally not requiring software; just
>> getting recognised as a drive on my XP Home PC.
>>
>> If possible (at 300?!) I'd also like features such as
>>
>> 5. Decent light gathering (ASA rating?)
>> 6. Better flash than Sony's puny facility
>> 7. Wide angle. I take lots of landscapes.
>> 8. CF or SD card rather than Sony's proprietary and expensive Memory
>> Stick.
>> 9. Anti-vibration

>Anti-shake will cut the number of candidates way down, particularly if
>you want a real mechanical anti-vibration system rather then an ISO
>boost or similar. Off-hand, that would be
>
>Panasonic FX-01 (and its predecesor, the FX-9)
>Canon SD700IS
>
>I think there's a Sony ultra-compact with a stabilizer, but I'm not
>sure. If you want wide angles, you're better off with the Panasonic, as
>it goes to 28 mm, vs 35 for the Canon.
>
>See http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfx01/ for a comprehensive
>review.

Thanks, I'll study that one.

Specs 5-9 were secondary though. There must be several strong
candidates meeting specs 1-4 recommended by users here?

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

David J Taylor

Terry Pinnell wrote:
[]
> Any more please? I half expected to be buried in replies from
> enthusiastic compact owners!

As you ask for more, Terry, I would put a mention in for the Panasonic
range. I have the FZ5 (and my wife has the FZ20), and to me that's a
compact camera (for what it does) weighing just 326g. Taking speed is no
longer an issue with this camera, at least for me. If I wanted an even
more compact version, I would look at the Panasonic TZ1, which has a 35 -
350mm zoom:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0602/06...nasonictz1.asp

For a 28 - 102mm zoom. there is the FX01

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfx01/

Yes, the wide-angle is just 35mm on the TZ1, but with programs like
AutoStitch combining two or three pictures for a landscape is now a
doddle. Panasonic have been making image stabilised cameras for a long
while now, and they know what they are doing. Their Leica lenses beat the
competition such as Canon, and I have no hesitation in recommending the
range (yes, they use SD cards).

David

Terry Pinnell

"David J Taylor"
<(E-Mail Removed)-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk> wrote:

>Terry Pinnell wrote:
>[]
>> Any more please? I half expected to be buried in replies from
>> enthusiastic compact owners!

>As you ask for more, Terry, I would put a mention in for the Panasonic
>range. I have the FZ5 (and my wife has the FZ20), and to me that's a
>compact camera (for what it does) weighing just 326g. Taking speed is no
>longer an issue with this camera, at least for me. If I wanted an even
>more compact version, I would look at the Panasonic TZ1, which has a 35 -
>350mm zoom:
>
> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0602/06...nasonictz1.asp
>
>For a 28 - 102mm zoom. there is the FX01
>
> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfx01/
>
>Yes, the wide-angle is just 35mm on the TZ1, but with programs like
>AutoStitch combining two or three pictures for a landscape is now a
>doddle. Panasonic have been making image stabilised cameras for a long
>while now, and they know what they are doing. Their Leica lenses beat the
>competition such as Canon, and I have no hesitation in recommending the
>range (yes, they use SD cards).

Thanks David, I'll look hard at those Panasonics.

I'm beginning to think seriously about the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P200,
plus a 1 GB memory stick to replace its puny 32 MB.

Ideally though I think I'd like to move to a CF based camera. Not only
are memory sticks relatively expensive, but they are not as flexible
for connectivity as CF. On the other hand, as an existing DSC-P1 user,
I do have a few sticks already...

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK