Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSD > Re: How to be an upstream developer?

Re: How to be an upstream developer?

PJ Lee

Hello,

By no way I am an upstream developer, afterall, I've only worked in the
field for 6 years.
But let me ask you a question? How do you expect to get to the top without
hard work and commitment?
"Practice makes perfect"; This is especially true in software development
because no matter how many books you read, there will never be enough to
substitute real life experience....
Here's my story:
when I was 21, I graduated from college and started working as a junior
technician in a software development/Application service house. eventhough
the primary focus of the business was software development, the software
they were using in house were really crappy. and there were alot of manual
processes which can be handled by software automation. I got myself noticed
by the "big boys" after I wrote a hardware/software assets tracking program
to assist my day to day work in the team. After 9 months (early 199, one
of the system admin left the company and I was promoted to System Admin and
I got my MCSE 5 months later. By late 98, a software tester position became
available, I was offered and accepted the position eventhough I had to take
a pay cut for the "promotion".

Since then, I've been through 3 fulltime jobs as well as 5+ contracts
dealing with technologies varied from VB5,6, .net; ASP2;3 .net, java, jsp,
and now C#.
IMHO, If you really want to get to the top (which, like most of you, is
where I'm aiming at), there are no shortcuts from real life experience,
hardwork and commitment.

I know you don't want to hear answers like "work hard, practice...etc....",
but this is just my story.

If anyone else can offer some insight to "How to get to the top without
working hard...", I'm sure the group, including myself, will be really keen
to hear about them.

Regards,
Pete

"Feng" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:03c301c33ea9$e2f83ba0$(E-Mail Removed)...

> I am not expecting answers like "work hard, practice
> more... etc" I hope some one could give some more tangible
> answers, or milestones on the way to get there.
>
> I deeply admire upstream developers and hope to be there
> some day. If you are MCSD (or MCSD.net) with stable
> position, please share some experience on how to get
> there.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Feng

Cherry

Nothing could be more true.
There's no replacement for Hard work.
and in this industry unlike lot of other streams, one has to be really
always abreast of the latest. Keep abreast of the technology. Develop
an interest in reading Technical stuff...
From my personal experience, which now is 6 years in the industry, I
have infered that only by keen interest in work complemented with
performance and commitment, can take you places.

Of course, don't Lose your Faith ever.... (That's my Mantra)
Cherry...

"PJ Lee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Hello,
>
> By no way I am an upstream developer, afterall, I've only worked in the
> field for 6 years.
> But let me ask you a question? How do you expect to get to the top without
> hard work and commitment?
> "Practice makes perfect"; This is especially true in software development
> because no matter how many books you read, there will never be enough to
> substitute real life experience....
> Here's my story:
> when I was 21, I graduated from college and started working as a junior
> technician in a software development/Application service house. eventhough
> the primary focus of the business was software development, the software
> they were using in house were really crappy. and there were alot of manual
> processes which can be handled by software automation. I got myself noticed
> by the "big boys" after I wrote a hardware/software assets tracking program
> to assist my day to day work in the team. After 9 months (early 199, one
> of the system admin left the company and I was promoted to System Admin and
> I got my MCSE 5 months later. By late 98, a software tester position became
> available, I was offered and accepted the position eventhough I had to take
> a pay cut for the "promotion".
>
> Since then, I've been through 3 fulltime jobs as well as 5+ contracts
> dealing with technologies varied from VB5,6, .net; ASP2;3 .net, java, jsp,
> and now C#.
> IMHO, If you really want to get to the top (which, like most of you, is
> where I'm aiming at), there are no shortcuts from real life experience,
> hardwork and commitment.
>
> I know you don't want to hear answers like "work hard, practice...etc....",
> but this is just my story.
>
> If anyone else can offer some insight to "How to get to the top without
> working hard...", I'm sure the group, including myself, will be really keen
> to hear about them.
>
> Regards,
> Pete
>
> "Feng" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:03c301c33ea9$e2f83ba0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > I am not expecting answers like "work hard, practice
> > more... etc" I hope some one could give some more tangible
> > answers, or milestones on the way to get there.
> >
> > I deeply admire upstream developers and hope to be there
> > some day. If you are MCSD (or MCSD.net) with stable
> > position, please share some experience on how to get
> > there.
> >
> > Thanks in advance!
> >
> > Feng

T1 line bandwidth qustion Upstream downstream mdargin@msn.com Cisco 1 04-07-2006 12:03 AM
DVD Verdict reviews: SWIMMING UPSTREAM, IT'S EASIER FOR A CAMEL..., and more! DVD Verdict DVD Video 0 09-09-2005 08:12 AM
upstream proxy with Pix E. Helm Cisco 0 07-21-2003 01:07 AM
Re: How to be an upstream developer? Kline Sphere MCSD 1 07-03-2003 08:38 PM
How to be an upstream developer? Ken MCSD 0 06-30-2003 08:14 AM

Advertisments