Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > which is better?

which is better?

vanderlej

Neil Ellwood

On Tue, 09 May 2006 10:21:03 +0200, vanderlej wrote:

> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/comp...mcfz5&show=all
>
> thanks

For what?
You need to tell us your requirements to enable any sort of judgement to
be made.
--
Neil
Delete 'l' to reply

vanderlej

since i'm new to photography i'm looking for entry level camera. i was
thinkink overall better, nothing specific.
i would use it to take pictures around the town, or when i go to the country
or hiking. things like that, nothing to advanced and those three are at the
top of my list.
hope someone can help me.
thanks, again.

"Neil Ellwood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed) m...
> On Tue, 09 May 2006 10:21:03 +0200, vanderlej wrote:
>
>> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/comp...mcfz5&show=all
>>
>> thanks

> For what?
> You need to tell us your requirements to enable any sort of judgement to
> be made.
> --
> Neil
> Delete 'l' to reply

Joseph Meehan

vanderlej wrote:
> since i'm new to photography i'm looking for entry level camera. i was
> thinkink overall better, nothing specific.
> i would use it to take pictures around the town, or when i go to the
> country or hiking. things like that, nothing to advanced and those
> three are at the top of my list.
> hope someone can help me.
> thanks, again.

Based on your information, there is no bases to recommend on over
another. They all will do what you have asked about. Each is different and
has abilities that could be useful for some photographers, but you have not
identified any specific thing that would relate to the differences.

I suggest that you stop at a store and get your hands on them. Hold
them take a photo or two with them. How does it feel, does making
adjustments feel "right" to you. How a camera fits your hands and how
logical or illogical the layout of controls are is greatly underrated by
most people. Ergonomics and user interface are really important. They are
also very personal.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Stormlady

I would also suggest looking at the Kodak P850. I was intending on
purchasing the Fuji on the list and was advised to consider the Kodak.
While I don't have the Kodak yet, it does have some extra features,
12Xoptical zoom, image stabilization, and an external flash (if that matters
to you) The few people I've talked to with it have been happy with it, i
hope I'm as happy when I get mine.

Another thing to consider would be the type of card it takes. Some cards
are more expensive than others.
"vanderlej" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:e3pjdf$2md$(E-Mail Removed)...
> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/comp...mcfz5&show=all
>
> thanks

Panno Zhai

vanderlej wrote:
> since i'm new to photography i'm looking for entry level camera.

Neither of the cameras are "entry level". They have some advanced
features which you may not need. Thus you will carry extra-weight and
extra-size to hiking for nothing.

Have a look at the "compact" class of cameras. You cannot go wrong with
Canon, e.g. A610 or A620. Pentax Optio are also good for the majority
of newbie users. Generally, you should get a camera off your friend,
and try it. There are such features as ergonomics, sharpness of
picture, shutter lag and so on which are important. If you try any
camera, you will know what you want from a camera.

Daniel Silevitch

On Tue, 9 May 2006 12:08:36 +0200, vanderlej <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Neil Ellwood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed) m...
>> On Tue, 09 May 2006 10:21:03 +0200, vanderlej wrote:

fuji_finepixs5200z
konicaminolta_dimagez5
panasonic_dmcfz5

>>> thanks

>> For what?
>> You need to tell us your requirements to enable any sort of judgement to
>> be made.

> since i'm new to photography i'm looking for entry level camera. i was
> thinkink overall better, nothing specific.
> i would use it to take pictures around the town, or when i go to the country
> or hiking. things like that, nothing to advanced and those three are at the
> top of my list.

I'm not off-hand familiar with the Fuji, but the other two aren't really
entry-level cameras. They both can be used as such, since they have
full-auto modes, but you'll be getting (and paying for) a bunch of
additional features. These are also not pocket-sized cameras, unless you
mean a fair-sized jacket pocket.

If you think that you'll eventually want the more advanced features,
these are good cameras. Konica-minolta cameras may be hard to find,
as they are pulling out of the camera business. You might also want to
consider something smaller/less expensive, like the Canon A610 or A700,
or if you want the large zoom range, the Panasonic TZ1.

-dms

Panno Zhai

Daniel Silevitch wrote:

> I'm not off-hand familiar with the Fuji, but the other two aren't really
> entry-level cameras. They both can be used as such, since they have
> full-auto modes, but you'll be getting (and paying for) a bunch of
> additional features. These are also not pocket-sized cameras, unless you
> mean a fair-sized jacket pocket.

You do not understand. The original poster (OP) is from Hungary. In
Eastern Europe, you just hafta demonstrate to people how cool and
expensive you camera is. Point & Shoot (P&S) cameras are not expensive
enough. Perhaps, the "premium" line of P&S cameras is what the OP
looking for. The examples of such cameras are Canon IXUS and Casio
Excilim.

Daniel Silevitch

On 9 May 2006 06:32:01 -0700, Panno Zhai <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Daniel Silevitch wrote:
>
>> I'm not off-hand familiar with the Fuji, but the other two aren't really
>> entry-level cameras. They both can be used as such, since they have
>> full-auto modes, but you'll be getting (and paying for) a bunch of
>> additional features. These are also not pocket-sized cameras, unless you
>> mean a fair-sized jacket pocket.

> You do not understand. The original poster (OP) is from Hungary. In
> Eastern Europe, you just hafta demonstrate to people how cool and
> expensive you camera is. Point & Shoot (P&S) cameras are not expensive
> enough. Perhaps, the "premium" line of P&S cameras is what the OP
> looking for. The examples of such cameras are Canon IXUS and Casio
> Excilim.

He said he wanted an entry-level camera. If he wants a "prestige" camera
without paying for a DSLR, I'd suggest the $500ish Panasonic LX-1, or
better yet, the Leica version of same.

-dms

Kitt

vanderlej wrote:
> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/comp...mcfz5&show=all
>
> thanks

One difference I noticed was the absence of image stabilization on one
of them. Is that not important to you and if not, why pay more for it?
You should be able to find cameras without it for less, if it's not
important or add another one with it to give you more choice if it's
something you do really want.