Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Help! Can't find a camera!

Help! Can't find a camera!

Benjamin.Isaacson@gmail.com

I spent 8 hours scouring through reviews and spec. charts trying to
find a camera I like to no avail. Here's my wish list; can anyone find
a match?

1. under $250
2. quality video with sound, 640x480 @ 30fps w/decent compression,
MPEG4 would be nice.
3. super macro
4. at least 35mm equiv. on the wide side
5. low noise at ISO400 and below
6. SD/MMC (not mandatory)
7. Powered by AA batteries (and decent battery life with 2500mAh) (not
mandatory)
8. SMALL
9. Decent optical zoom with ability to zoom in video mode
10. 2" 100k pixel versatile LCD
11. plenty of control and creativity options

Closest I can find is a Cannon A610, but it doesn't support zoom while
in video mode, and it has lousy video compression.

grruffbowwow@yahoo.com

> I spent 8 hours scouring through reviews and spec. charts trying to
> find a camera I like to no avail. Here's my wish list; can anyone find
> a match?
>
> 1. under $250
> 2. quality video with sound, 640x480 @ 30fps w/decent compression,
> MPEG4 would be nice.
> 3. super macro
> 4. at least 35mm equiv. on the wide side
> 5. low noise at ISO400 and below
> 6. SD/MMC (not mandatory)
> 7. Powered by AA batteries (and decent battery life with 2500mAh) (not
> mandatory)
> 8. SMALL
> 9. Decent optical zoom with ability to zoom in video mode
> 10. 2" 100k pixel versatile LCD
> 11. plenty of control and creativity options
>
> Closest I can find is a Cannon A610, but it doesn't support zoom while
> in video mode, and it has lousy video compression.

All cameras are compromises, no one will do everything. dSLR's come
closest to an "ideal" still camera, but of course are rather expensive
and bulky. That's the tradeoff one makes to get the versatility and
control of a dSLR.

Get the Canon A610, perhaps the S2-IS would fit you better, or perhaps
the Fuji F-30 if it is as good as the F-10/11 for noise, or how about
the Pana FX-01, whatever, and be happy, learn to use it optimally, get
some great pictures.... and perhaps in the future there'll be a camera
that does everything you want. Using a still camera for videos is not
ideal anyways, (ie. it sucks!) delete that and any one other
requirement from your list (the AA requirement is killing you) and
you've got 100's of choices.

Cardamon Dave

The AA-battery thing is going to be your big limitation. I sorta like
the Pentax Optio S40 (now the S60) for its compactness and use of AAs
or CRV3 lithium batteries that last a long time. But the camera's not
perfect. Look at a Kodak V550; it uses a proprietary battery but
otherwise meets your criteria. Both are under $250 if you shop around a
bit.

-CD

JohnR66

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I spent 8 hours scouring through reviews and spec. charts trying to
> find a camera I like to no avail. Here's my wish list; can anyone find
> a match?
>
> 1. under $250
> 2. quality video with sound, 640x480 @ 30fps w/decent compression,
> MPEG4 would be nice.
> 3. super macro
> 4. at least 35mm equiv. on the wide side
> 5. low noise at ISO400 and below
> 6. SD/MMC (not mandatory)
> 7. Powered by AA batteries (and decent battery life with 2500mAh) (not
> mandatory)
> 8. SMALL
> 9. Decent optical zoom with ability to zoom in video mode
> 10. 2" 100k pixel versatile LCD
> 11. plenty of control and creativity options
>
> Closest I can find is a Cannon A610, but it doesn't support zoom while
> in video mode, and it has lousy video compression.

Not sure what you mean about the video compression on the A610. It seems to
be very good to me. Sound could be better though. Battery life is
incredible. It last so long on alkalines, I don't even bother with
rechargables because they would need recharged every month or so.
John

Newshound

S2 IS

Jim

On 2006-05-08 15:19:51 -0400, (E-Mail Removed) said:

> I spent 8 hours scouring through reviews and spec. charts trying to
> find a camera I like to no avail. Here's my wish list; can anyone find
> a match?
>
> 1. under $250
> 2. quality video with sound, 640x480 @ 30fps w/decent compression,
> MPEG4 would be nice.
> 3. super macro
> 4. at least 35mm equiv. on the wide side
> 5. low noise at ISO400 and below
> 6. SD/MMC (not mandatory)
> 7. Powered by AA batteries (and decent battery life with 2500mAh) (not
> mandatory)
> 8. SMALL
> 9. Decent optical zoom with ability to zoom in video mode
> 10. 2" 100k pixel versatile LCD
> 11. plenty of control and creativity options
>
> Closest I can find is a Cannon A610, but it doesn't support zoom while
> in video mode, and it has lousy video compression.

Geez.. I would love a car that goes from 0-60 in 4.5 secs, gets 40 mpg
and costs less than $15,000.
--
Jim <jen....not....home..remvdots...@....yahoo