Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > which 2700mAH rechargeable?

which 2700mAH rechargeable?

peter

PowerEX or Sanyo both have 2700mAH batteries. Which is better?

Is there a web site that test these things and update them frequently?

Is there a theoretical limit to how much can be stored in AA size form
factor?

ASAAR

On Sun, 07 May 2006 15:40:07 GMT, peter wrote:

> PowerEX or Sanyo both have 2700mAH batteries. Which is better?
>
> Is there a web site that test these things and update them frequently?

No web sites that I'm aware of. You *could* buy a few of each and
see for yourself. Even if one is better, the difference isn't
likely to be so great that the money spent on the poorer performer
would be a big loss. Even if you don't have sophisticated test
equipment, if the difference between these two brands isn't large
enough for you to easily notice, for all practical purposes, they'd
be the same.

> Is there a theoretical limit to how much can be stored in AA size form
> factor?

Since the volume of AA batteries is virtually a constant, the
theoretical limit is already known. Now if you're referring to the
amount of energy that can be stored in that volume, it depends on
the technology used - carbon zinc / alkaline / NiCad / NiMH /
Lithium (there are several types of lithium) / silver / uranium /
plutonium, etc. If tiny power plants can be made to fit within the
AA form factor, those last two might be real winners, even if the AA
shells are very thick lead cylinders. They'd still have to undergo
testing before they'd be allowed to sport the "Approved by Better
Homes & Gardens, Underwriter's Lab. & Homeland Security" logo.

SMS

peter wrote:
> PowerEX or Sanyo both have 2700mAH batteries. Which is better?

Sanyo

> Is there a web site that test these things and update them frequently?

No

> Is there a theoretical limit to how much can be stored in AA size form
> factor?

No, though there is a theoretical limit for NiMH AA cells.

Thomas T. Veldhouse

peter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> PowerEX or Sanyo both have 2700mAH batteries. Which is better?
>
> Is there a web site that test these things and update them frequently?
>
> Is there a theoretical limit to how much can be stored in AA size form
> factor?

PowerEx seems to use Sanyo cores, so it probably doesn't make a difference.
However, PowerEx seems to use conservative values when rating its batteries,
thus, it is quite likely going to be an excellent performing 2700mAh batter
for any given sample. Honestly, you can't go wrong with either, so buy the
cheapest.

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Steve

Actually both seem to actually only produce half of their rated power under
load.

Ya, another EE and I tested a bunch of batteries and none really got above
2k MAH except the MAHA and Energizers were above their listed ratings. Their
2500s were closer to 2600 and the new 2700s have gotten to 2800 on 3rd
cycle.

I am sticking with those brands for now.

Steve

"Thomas T. Veldhouse" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:445f39ba$0$722$(E-Mail Removed) t...
> peter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> PowerEX or Sanyo both have 2700mAH batteries. Which is better?
>>
>> Is there a web site that test these things and update them frequently?
>>
>> Is there a theoretical limit to how much can be stored in AA size form
>> factor?
>>

> PowerEx seems to use Sanyo cores, so it probably doesn't make a
> difference.
> However, PowerEx seems to use conservative values when rating its
> batteries,
> thus, it is quite likely going to be an excellent performing 2700mAh
> batter
> for any given sample. Honestly, you can't go wrong with either, so buy
> the
> cheapest.
>
> --
> Thomas T. Veldhouse
> Key Fingerprint: 2DB9 813F F510 82C2 E1AE 34D0 D69D 1EDC D5EC AED1

Thomas T. Veldhouse

Steve <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Actually both seem to actually only produce half of their rated power under
> load.
>
> Ya, another EE and I tested a bunch of batteries and none really got above
> 2k MAH except the MAHA and Energizers were above their listed ratings. Their
> 2500s were closer to 2600 and the new 2700s have gotten to 2800 on 3rd
> cycle.
>
> I am sticking with those brands for now.

Now, why do you suppose that is, considering they both use Sanyo cores?

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse

y_p_w

Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
> Steve <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Actually both seem to actually only produce half of their rated power under
> > load.
> >
> > Ya, another EE and I tested a bunch of batteries and none really got above
> > 2k MAH except the MAHA and Energizers were above their listed ratings. Their
> > 2500s were closer to 2600 and the new 2700s have gotten to 2800 on 3rd
> > cycle.
> >
> > I am sticking with those brands for now.
> >

> Now, why do you suppose that is, considering they both use Sanyo cores?

There always going to be manufacturing variation.

I saw some new Energizers, and they seem to come from a number
of different suppliers. One looks like Sanyo, but is labelled as made
in China. Duracell is selling 2650 mAh (typical) AAs, but that look
like they might be Sanyo. They're labelled as made in Japan but
don't have the HR mark. Might be made by Matsushita?

Thomas T. Veldhouse

y_p_w <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> Now, why do you suppose that is, considering they both use Sanyo cores?

> There always going to be manufacturing variation.
>
> I saw some new Energizers, and they seem to come from a number
> of different suppliers. One looks like Sanyo, but is labelled as made
> in China. Duracell is selling 2650 mAh (typical) AAs, but that look
> like they might be Sanyo. They're labelled as made in Japan but
> don't have the HR mark. Might be made by Matsushita?

Perhaps, but I was at Walmart and Target lately and in both stores, ALL
Energizers, Duracell and Rayovac were "HR" labeled batteries ... IF the
battery was a 2500mAh or higher AA battery. The AAA batteries all seem to be
made in China. I don't believe Energizer or Duracell (and probably not
Rayovac) will buy fraudulently labeled battery cores pretending to be "HR"
labeled Sanyos. Sanyo is well known for its QC when it comes to their NiMH
batteries.

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse

y_p_w

Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
> y_p_w <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >>
> >> Now, why do you suppose that is, considering they both use Sanyo cores?

> > There always going to be manufacturing variation.
> >
> > I saw some new Energizers, and they seem to come from a number
> > of different suppliers. One looks like Sanyo, but is labelled as made
> > in China. Duracell is selling 2650 mAh (typical) AAs, but that look
> > like they might be Sanyo. They're labelled as made in Japan but
> > don't have the HR mark. Might be made by Matsushita?
> >

> Perhaps, but I was at Walmart and Target lately and in both stores, ALL
> Energizers, Duracell and Rayovac were "HR" labeled batteries ... IF the
> battery was a 2500mAh or higher AA battery. The AAA batteries all seem to be
> made in China. I don't believe Energizer or Duracell (and probably not
> Rayovac) will buy fraudulently labeled battery cores pretending to be "HR"
> labeled Sanyos. Sanyo is well known for its QC when it comes to their NiMH
> batteries.

Rayovac? That's a new wrinkle. I always though they bought
theirs from Chinese manufacturers.

The new label for Energizer 2500 mAh has "2500" in a smaller
green box across the circumference. I think they source these
from at least 3 different factories in China or Japan.

Steve

Don't know Thomas,

Only know what I saw with my own eyes and testing.

Shared the same, take it for it was worth.

Steve
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...