Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Air travel with photo equipment

Air travel with photo equipment

Cynicor

Interesting. Did not know this. It seems that if you are carrying
photographic equipment, you can make it a third bag on a flight, subject
to space. Can anyone confirm whether this is really what this says?

http://www.tsa.gov/public/interapp/e...orial_1248.xml

Photographic Equipment

You may carry one (1) bag of photographic equipment in addition to one
(1) carry-on and one (1) personal item through the screening checkpoint.
The additional bag must conform to your air carrier's carry-on
restrictions for size and weight. Please confirm your air carrier's
restrictions prior to arriving at the airport.

David Dyer-Bennet

Cynicor <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Interesting. Did not know this. It seems that if you are carrying
> photographic equipment, you can make it a third bag on a flight,
> subject to space. Can anyone confirm whether this is really what this
> says?
>
> http://www.tsa.gov/public/interapp/e...orial_1248.xml
>
> Photographic Equipment
>
> You may carry one (1) bag of photographic equipment in addition to one
> (1) carry-on and one (1) personal item through the screening
> checkpoint. The additional bag must conform to your air carrier's
> carry-on restrictions for size and weight. Please confirm your air
> carrier's restrictions prior to arriving at the airport.

I've seen the same statement in various contexts, and heard it from
airline employees. So far I've been traveling on business with
photography as a sometimes sideline, so I haven't actually pushed past
two bags, legal without the special rule, myself.
RKBA: <http://www.dd-b.net/carry/>

Gerrit 't Hart

"Cynicor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Interesting. Did not know this. It seems that if you are carrying
> photographic equipment, you can make it a third bag on a flight, subject
> to space. Can anyone confirm whether this is really what this says?
>
> http://www.tsa.gov/public/interapp/e...orial_1248.xml
>
> Photographic Equipment
>
> You may carry one (1) bag of photographic equipment in addition to one
> (1) carry-on and one (1) personal item through the screening checkpoint.
> The additional bag must conform to your air carrier's carry-on
> restrictions for size and weight. Please confirm your air carrier's
> restrictions prior to arriving at the airport.

I've done this for years and no one has ever said anything.
1 One carryon like a small backpack.
2 1 Camera gadget bag containing 2 cameras and various lenses and bits and
pieces.
3 1 camera hanging around my neck.
4 1 plastic bag containing purchases eg crockery from Stoke-on-Trent.
I was pretty loaded on that occasion.

Gerrit - Oz

Ron Hunter

Gerrit 't Hart wrote:
> "Cynicor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Interesting. Did not know this. It seems that if you are carrying
>> photographic equipment, you can make it a third bag on a flight, subject
>> to space. Can anyone confirm whether this is really what this says?
>>
>> http://www.tsa.gov/public/interapp/e...orial_1248.xml
>>
>> Photographic Equipment
>>
>> You may carry one (1) bag of photographic equipment in addition to one
>> (1) carry-on and one (1) personal item through the screening checkpoint.
>> The additional bag must conform to your air carrier's carry-on
>> restrictions for size and weight. Please confirm your air carrier's
>> restrictions prior to arriving at the airport.

> I've done this for years and no one has ever said anything.
> 1 One carryon like a small backpack.
> 2 1 Camera gadget bag containing 2 cameras and various lenses and bits and
> pieces.
> 3 1 camera hanging around my neck.
> 4 1 plastic bag containing purchases eg crockery from Stoke-on-Trent.
> I was pretty loaded on that occasion.
>
> Gerrit - Oz

Interesting choice of words: 'crockery' and 'loaded'. Grin.

Bill Hilton

> Cynicor writes ...
>
>It seems that if you are carrying photographic equipment, you
>can make it a third bag on a flight, subject to space. Can
>anyone confirm whether this is really what this says?

As someone who flies a lot with heavy photo gear I remember when this
was first announced a couple years back. But read the fine print ...

>Please confirm your air carrier's
>restrictions prior to arriving at the airport.

So TSA is leaving it to the airlines ... so far as I know, in the US
only ONE carrier agreed to let you carry on a third bag with camera
gear and that was United (this was when the rule change first occurred
.... if other airlines are on-board with this could someone name them
and give a URL to their policy?). No European companies I've flown on
allow a third carry-on and several have very low weight restrictions on
the one or two bags you can carry-on, like say 7 kg (15.4 lbs).

Last time I flew United (without extra camera gear) I asked the counter
agent about this 3 carry-on policy and she said they only allowed it if
the flight wasn't full and there was extra space, so I guess you can't
count on it 100% of the time. I haven't asked for this service (we
usually fly Continental for various reasons, United has only a few
flights from where we live) but would be interested in hearing from
those who often fly from say Denver or Chicago (where United is the
main carrier) ...

Bill

Joseph Meehan

Cynicor wrote:
> Interesting. Did not know this. It seems that if you are carrying
> photographic equipment, you can make it a third bag on a flight,
> subject to space. Can anyone confirm whether this is really what this
> says?

I would not count on it. Getting thought security is only one step, you
also need to get on the plane.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Bill Hilton wrote:

>>Cynicor writes ...
>>
>>It seems that if you are carrying photographic equipment, you
>>can make it a third bag on a flight, subject to space. Can
>>anyone confirm whether this is really what this says?

> As someone who flies a lot with heavy photo gear I remember when this
> was first announced a couple years back. But read the fine print ...
>

>>Please confirm your air carrier's
>>restrictions prior to arriving at the airport.

> So TSA is leaving it to the airlines ... so far as I know, in the US
> only ONE carrier agreed to let you carry on a third bag with camera
> gear and that was United (this was when the rule change first occurred
> ... if other airlines are on-board with this could someone name them
> and give a URL to their policy?). No European companies I've flown on
> allow a third carry-on and several have very low weight restrictions on
> the one or two bags you can carry-on, like say 7 kg (15.4 lbs).
>
> Last time I flew United (without extra camera gear) I asked the counter
> agent about this 3 carry-on policy and she said they only allowed it if
> the flight wasn't full and there was extra space, so I guess you can't
> count on it 100% of the time. I haven't asked for this service (we
> usually fly Continental for various reasons, United has only a few
> flights from where we live) but would be interested in hearing from
> those who often fly from say Denver or Chicago (where United is the
> main carrier) ...

As one who flies United a lot out of Denver, I can say I have
never tried the 3-bags thing, but I do see many people, especially
women business travelers with a carry-on suitcase, a laptop
bag ands a purse about the size of a laptop bag and are not
hassled. I have also seen men with 3 bags, and not camera
gear and are generally not hassled (although in my opinion they
should be . But you are really at the discretion of the
flight crew. I have also seen people have to check their bags
if they are last on board and there is no room.

I would guess that if your bags are not too large you will not
be hassled if you are an early boarder, do not try and take
all the overhead space and do not look like you are carrying
a lot of bulk and weight.

I have traveled a number of airlines with a Lowe Pro AW photo
backpack with 500 mm f/4 lens plus other lenses, 2 camera
bodies, and a laptop bag with no problems, but only 2 bags.

I have been on international flights where the airline stated
that US FAA rules require a maximum of 1 bag, and I have
had to scramble and get all my stuff in one bag. I have not
seen this rule.

Roger

One4All

I would like to know, from anyone, how they travel with a tripod & what
kind of container they use for it. I see tripod bags being marketed.
Probably the tripod would have to be checked. (I have a Tiltall.) But,
I'm worried it could be stolen if I check it, since the bag couldn't be
locked.

Bill Hilton

> One4All writes ...
>
> I would like to know, from anyone, how they travel with a tripod &
> what kind of container they use for it.

We've hand-carried Gitzo CF tripods before (they count as one carry-on)
.... never had a problem when doing this and I even wrote TSA asking
specifically if tripods were OK as carry-on and their reply was that if
it didn't have sharp edges it was OK with them.

Now that we are shooting digital and need the second carry-on for a
laptop we just put the tripods in firm-sided luggage. When we did a
lot of big-game fishing and traveled with heavy fishing reels, lures
etc we used the "Action Packer" from Rubbermaid, which is hard-sided
and looks like a cooler and offers good protection, but is hard to lift
and carry. Now we have good sized rolling suitcases that are big
enough to carry the Gitzos and that's what we use. I'd avoid a soft
bag for fear the tripod might get warped or bent.

> I'm worried it could be stolen if I check it, since the bag couldn't
> be locked.

Buy a couple of TSA approved locks and use them ... if TSA x-rays your
bag and needs to open it they have the master key and will open it,
hand-inspect and re-lock it. Apparently our bag with batteries, power
cords and flashes looks suspicious to the US agents because it's almost
always opened and inspected (they leave a note behind) ... funny thing
is we just flew from the US to Holland to Africa and back twice the
past four months and every time the Dutch and Tanzanian guys can figure
out there is no danger and pass it thru while the TSA guys are always
befuddled and open it.

Bill

Bill Hilton wrote:
>>One4All writes ...
>>
>>I would like to know, from anyone, how they travel with a tripod &
>>what kind of container they use for it.

I put together a little braided wire lock (like a bicycle lock)
that locks the CF tripod in the suitcase and uses TSA locks
inside the case. Like Bill's suitcases. mine are usually
inspected by TSA but no evidence of international
inspections in multiple travels from US to Europe, to Australia,
and New Zealand in the last two years.

Roger