Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > My Photos of Hawaii

My Photos of Hawaii

Jack Mac

On Fri, 05 May 2006 11:28:29 +0100, Derek Fountain <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>> My last count was just under 1300.
>>
>>> You think people have
>>> the time and bandwidth to sift through hundreds of your holiday photos?

>> I hope I am not infringing on their pr0n and pirated media downloads. I
>> mean, just about every high school kid downloads GIGABYTES of MP3s
>> these days.

>You're not infringing on anything, because no one with an opinion worth
>having is going to sift through 1,300 of your holiday photos to give you
>feedback on them.

It's a matter of perspective.... you see all of your photos as a chance to
relive each moment of your great trip to Hawaii, while the rest of us see
it as a tremendous amount of individual photos. Overall they do tell a
story but the same story could be told with far less photos.
Reminds me of back in the days when slides (or home movies) were
so popular. A neighbor would take a trip, come home and invite all the
neighbors in to see them. About midnight with 4 or 5 more trays of slides
to view folks would get restless and sleepy ..... it gets old.
Enjoy your photos but for the rest of us, it's a bit much!
Jack Mac

> My last count was just under 1300.

Quality, not quantity!

Example: picts 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014 are very similar
view out the plane. But even if you picked one of the
4, why would anyone care and want to see this view?
If the image was randomly shown to people, would it
give any emotion, any wow, any interest at all?

So, if you have some great "wow" images, why not
put copies in another folder and call it Hawaii Best?

When you give a slide show, at the end people should be saying,
"wow, can we see more?" Faced with 1300 almost the same
images will only get stunned silence, and the next time
you ask people if they want to see a slide show, they will
run away real fast!

I currently have 281 images on my web site. After a trip, I
typically select about 1% as the top ones, then a fraction
of those go on the web site.

Roger
http://www.clarkvision.com

Draco

Though the images are plentiful, they do not
seem to express the feeling of ther islands.
Having some many images to select from
make the viewer bored and not willing
to continue to search for the gems.
I do understand the taking of so many
images. Especialy when you might
not have a chance to return for a
very long time. That is okay. Yet to
present a photo story, it needs to
be not only the best work. But, short
and to the point. This makes the
viewer want to go there or gives
the viewer enough to feel like they
have seen the beauty themselves.You
must be the editor in this matter. Then
let someone else look at and suggest
what to leave in or take out. One image
may mean a great deal to you. While
it means nothing to a stranger looking
at it for the first time, without knowing
anything of it 'history'.

Keep at it. You do have the making
of a good story. Did you get to travel
the road to Hana? Way to much fun.

Draco

Getting even isn't good enough.

Annika1980

>I don't know to what you are referring. I have at least 250 pictures
>taken from my airplane seat, besides all the photos that I took from
>helicopter. To which 31 pics are you referring?

I was referring specifically to pics 1995 thru 2025. But I think you
made my point for me.
-----------------------

>I don't recall putting up a photo of a dark parking lot at night.

Pic 0712. Perhaps it's at the airport?
-----------------------

> Rest assured, the photos collectively tell a story. They may not all be
>artistic masterpieces individually, but they all tell part of the story
>about my trip.

Your pics tell a story, alright. They say, "I took too many damn
pictures!"
What you really need is a camcorder so you can post a video rather than
250 stills all showing about the same thing. The impression I get of
your galleries is that they are video captures. All you have really
shown us is that you can push a button thousands of times.

Now don't get me wrong, I love pushing that button as well.
When I went to Hawaii I also took lots of shots out the airplane. I
only chose 3 for my gallery, with this one being the best:
http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/36066694
-----------------------------

>Of course, what makes a good picture is often based on what one is
>looking for.

The point I and others are trying to make is that nobody is gonna wade
through 1300 boring pics in order to seek out the good ones. That's
your job. Show us only the good ones, or if you must tell a story at
least make it the Reader's Digest version.

Daniel Silevitch

On 5 May 2006 01:00:16 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Derek Fountain wrote:
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> > I asked for advice from these groups prior to my trip to Hawaii in
>> > January. Now, I have a few of my photos available for viewing online.
>> > Photo Albums 0 through 90 represent about 1/4 of the total photos I
>> > took in Hawaii. Please, tell me what you think of them:
>> >
>> > http://photos.yahoo.com/imagebuffet
>> >

>> You must be joking - there are hundreds of them.

> My last count was just under 1300.

Ye Gods!

Some selectivity, please, if you want people to look at them. To take
one example from the first album I looked at, what's the point of
showing photo PICT1814.JPG (in album 40 Hawaii)? It's a hazed-out
landscape with a few leaves in the foreground. If there was something
about that scene that caught your attention, a caption would be helpful.

And there's a lot of repetition, as well.

I consider myself as having low standards of selectivity for what photos
of mine I put up on the web, and I usually top out at 10%. I was also in
Hawaii, a few weeks earlier than you, and out of the ~900 frames I took,
I put 58 on the web. ( http://ri22.uchicago.edu/~dmsilev/hawaii/ if
anyone cares)

-dms

TheNewsGuy(Mike)

Derek Fountain wrote:
> Most people of other nationalities would climb a volcano. You know, pull
> on boots and use their legs to propel themselves up the side of it? This
> results in exercise and a sense of personal achievement. I figured only
> an American would recommend driving up one.

You're an idiot.

--
Seinfeld Lists http://tinyurl.com/f7k9d
California Photos http://tinyurl.com/ann2l

Derek Fountain

TheNewsGuy(Mike) wrote:
> Derek Fountain wrote:
>> Most people of other nationalities would climb a volcano. You know,
>> pull on boots and use their legs to propel themselves up the side of
>> it? This results in exercise and a sense of personal achievement. I
>> figured only an American would recommend driving up one.

> You're an idiot.

As you like. )

Unfortunately, the international image of the typical American, as lazy,
overweight, and totally helpless without a vehicle, is rather too close
to the truth. I myself hiked to the lava flows on Kilauea last year. It
took about 7 hours, including a 20 minute stop to look at the lava
itself. Hardly anyone doing that hike had an American accent (except the
fat guy stranded at the first beacon who was begging people for water).

Matt Clara

"Derek Fountain" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:445b6534$0$79632$(E-Mail Removed) reenews.net...
> TheNewsGuy(Mike) wrote:
>> Derek Fountain wrote:
>>> Most people of other nationalities would climb a volcano. You know, pull
>>> on boots and use their legs to propel themselves up the side of it? This
>>> results in exercise and a sense of personal achievement. I figured only
>>> an American would recommend driving up one.

>> You're an idiot.

> As you like. )
>
> Unfortunately, the international image of the typical American, as lazy,
> overweight, and totally helpless without a vehicle, is rather too close to
> the truth. I myself hiked to the lava flows on Kilauea last year. It took
> about 7 hours, including a 20 minute stop to look at the lava itself.
> Hardly anyone doing that hike had an American accent (except the fat guy
> stranded at the first beacon who was begging people for water).

And you're an expert in this area? You have statistics to cite? Or are you
just stereotyping, like an idiot?
And frankly, Americans do not have a reputation as lazy, with only (perhaps)
Germany having a reputation for harder working citizens.

--
Regards,
Matt Clara

Ron Hunter

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Ron Hunter wrote:
>
>> You should have driven to the top of the volcano. Most impressive! Go
>> back and see that one!

> Yes, that is one of my regrets from that trip. I had particularly
> wanted to see the caldera. Unfortunately, I just wasn't able to do it.
> Fortunately, that does not mean the entire trip was wasted. Far from
> it!

Well, since you didn't get there in person, and you probably won't get
another chance soon, visit it with GoogleEarth. Still quite impressive,
even if the resolution isn't as good as, say, Las Vegas downtown....

Ron Hunter

Derek Fountain wrote:
> Ron Hunter wrote:
>> You should have driven to the top of the volcano.

> Ron, I'm guessing you're an American...?
>
> )

Uhhh, yes. What tipped you off?