Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > better lens for P&S ??

better lens for P&S ??

Panno Zhai

I would like to choose a point & shoot camera with maybe 5 MP with a
good lens.

In 1999 at work, I used the camera Sony DSC-F505,
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/spec...ny_dscf505.asp .
It had only 2 MP resolution, but the lens was big and good. I was
impressed with the quality of the shots.

Recently I bought the modern digital camera Kodak EasyShare C330,
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/spec...kodak_c330.asp .
It has 4 MP resolution, and a crappy small 3x zoom lens. On the whole,
the quality of shots is not as good as was from the Sony. I would like
to by a better P&S digital camera of the same format, but with a better
lens. Something maybe of the kind of Canon PowerShot A620. (I want to
be able to do good-quality pictures in a dark room, or do zoom pictures
in a slightly dark room. And I want to do the pictures of people and
objects without distortion. My current Kodak is not good for that.)

So, the question to the knowledgeable auditorium -- how do I determine
if the lens is good enough when I am looking at the spec of the camera
? What are the parameters I should be looking at -- speed of lens, lens
diameter, the largest-sized diaphragm or what ? Thanks.

\/.

Daniel Silevitch

On 3 May 2006 03:31:09 -0700, Panno Zhai <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> So, the question to the knowledgeable auditorium -- how do I determine
> if the lens is good enough when I am looking at the spec of the camera
> ? What are the parameters I should be looking at -- speed of lens, lens
> diameter, the largest-sized diaphragm or what ? Thanks.

Best way is to look at a detailed review, at dpreview.com,
steves-digicams.com, or similar. The reviewer will look at lens
distortion, sharpness, and other things that matter but won't show up in
a spec sheet.

-dms

m Ransley

I bought a Sony W5 basicly because a review I read said "at 100asa
shots were comparable to a 20d" Ive been happy with it for scene shots,
since my regular compared camera was an A1 with Aspherical lenses and I
would always shoot slow speed film or Kodachrome. I am suprised at the
quality I get. But for flash, and other ways it has limitations. Read
reviews, DPreview will state in "conclusion" the sharpness of the
camera lens tested and their overall opinion of the cameras photos.
There are alot of good P&S out, just pick what is right for you,
although P&S have limitations by picking the right one and with proper
use you can do well. I bought a 5mp, but after using cropping I wish I
would have gotten the W7. The new sonys are better in ISO but are not AA
and use Duo stick with will not accept regular Memory stick. Read
reviews, basiicly all I read at dpreview is the " conclusion" of their
test.

Panno Zhai

m Ransley wrote:
> Read
> reviews, DPreview will state in "conclusion" the sharpness of the
> camera lens tested and their overall opinion of the cameras photos.

I read dpreview, however I cannot relate the users' opininions to my
situation. The users mat rave about a particular feature (e.g.
sharpness), but if I follow their recommendations and buy the camera,
then it may well trun out that the camera is not sharp enough for me,
or the camera is saddled with the other features which are far from
good.

So far, I tried a 2-year Canon at work, and I like the feeling. I found
a camera on dpreview, Canon A700 which is so new that it has not being
on some markets yet. The users say the camera is a big improvement over
the previous cameras... how good it is now, I do not know. I like it
has a big lens. The general rule I think is the bigger the lens the
better the quality of pictures (less gariny because enough of light is
coming in, less distortion etc). It costs around $300.

Canon actually released the camera SD700 IS, which is the first P&S
camera from Canon with image stabilisation. This is a "premium" P&S
kind of camera, and it has some more advanced features. Though, its
lens is smaller than the lens of A700, and the zoom iz x3 instead of x6
as in the camera above. It costs around $400. Well, I just have to play
with 'em when they come to the market, and see for myself if they are
any good. And, of course, the first thing which I can do is to check
the images taken by this camera by the other users and placed on the
Internet.

\/

Panno Zhai

Well I read more reviews on Canon A700 which I liked by the
description. It appears that the memory card (SD) and the batteries
(2xAA) are under the same hatch. If you open the hatch to access SD
card, the batteries pop out, too. I like to take SD card often (and put
it into the PC). Thus, I do not want to buy this camera for this reason
only. Although, the reviewers say that the shutter lag is very small --
shorter than in any other camera of this class. Short shutter lag is
one of the most important features I need. Perhaps, I should wait
another year or two before they release the improvement of A700.

\/

David Harper

"Panno Zhai" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

> If you open the hatch to access SD
> card, the batteries pop out, too.

In the same way that all the sugar will fall out of the sugar bowl if you
open it upside-down. Don't do that!

- David Harper

m Ransley

That is a poor reason to eliminate a very good camera and normal design,
you won`t loose the batteries since you won`t be opening it upside down,
I havn`t had mine fall out yet.

Panno Zhai

m Ransley wrote:
> That is a poor reason to eliminate a very good camera and normal design,
> you won`t loose the batteries since you won`t be opening it upside down,
> I havn`t had mine fall out yet.

Such a feature limits my choices. For example, in the current camera I
have (Kodak C330), I can take the SD card and continue shooting. The
camera still have supply of electrical energy because the batteries are
in another compartment under a different hatch. The camera simply
switches from the external SD card (which is removed) to the internal
memory.

You may ask why I need this. For example, I play with the camera, take
pictures at different regimes and examine their quality on the LCD. And
my girlfriend asks me to give her the SD card from which she wants to
download pictures on her PC.

\/

l e o

Panno Zhai wrote:
> m Ransley wrote:
>> That is a poor reason to eliminate a very good camera and normal design,
>> you won`t loose the batteries since you won`t be opening it upside down,
>> I havn`t had mine fall out yet.

> Such a feature limits my choices. For example, in the current camera I
> have (Kodak C330), I can take the SD card and continue shooting. The
> camera still have supply of electrical energy because the batteries are
> in another compartment under a different hatch. The camera simply
> switches from the external SD card (which is removed) to the internal
> memory.
>
> You may ask why I need this. For example, I play with the camera, take
> pictures at different regimes and examine their quality on the LCD. And
> my girlfriend asks me to give her the SD card from which she wants to
> download pictures on her PC.

The buy an extra memory card. My 20D doesn't have internal memory so if
I forget to bring along one memory card and I won't even be able to take
a single picture. Should I get rid of it?

m Ransley

Opening the battery cover to remove a card is a saftey feature,
removing a card with power on can ruin a cards data.