Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Best online photo album service

Best online photo album service

LouisB

What are the opinions of the group about online photo album services?

I've avoided them because most I've seen require people (friends, relatives)
to register before they can see your pictures which I see as an imposition.
Are there any that don't?

Alternatively, I recall having some software once which created html pages
to upload to your own ftp area on the web. Can anyone point me in the
direction of some software (shareware) which does this? Then I can use my
own web space.

TIA for any responses

LouisB
------
"I'm a half-wit. I sold the other half on e-Bay"

isuy

http://jalbum.net

> TIA for any responses
>
> LouisB
> ------
> "I'm a half-wit. I sold the other half on e-Bay"

Frank ess

LouisB wrote:
> What are the opinions of the group about online photo album
> services?
>
> I've avoided them because most I've seen require people (friends,
> relatives) to register before they can see your pictures which I see
> as an imposition. Are there any that don't?

FotoTime.com is not the only one that allows visitors to view without
registering, nor the only one that allows the 'owner' to specify which
albums are available for such viewing; however, it is the one I've
used for nearly three years and seven thousand images.

They also do your videos and are connected to a print and gift
service, both quie satisfactory.

Free thirty-day trial.

Example:
http://www.fototime.com/inv/B88279FB30DEC58

--
Frank ess

> Alternatively, I recall having some software once which created html
> pages to upload to your own ftp area on the web. Can anyone point me
> in the direction of some software (shareware) which does this? Then
> can use my own web space.

RustY

"LouisB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:NCX5g.191022$(E-Mail Removed) .uk...
> What are the opinions of the group about online photo album services?

www.webshots.com is a totally free service that will suit your needs.

Tzortzakakis Dimitrios

"LouisB" <(E-Mail Removed)>

www.shuttercity.com Is free and there are no impositions.

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
542nd mechanized infantry batallion

LouisB

Excellent. Just what I was looking for.

Thanks

LouisB

"isuy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "LouisB" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>

>> Alternatively, I recall having some software once which created html
>> pages
>> to upload to your own ftp area on the web. Can anyone point me in the
>> direction of some software (shareware) which does this? Then I can use my
>> own web space.

> http://jalbum.net
>

>> TIA for any responses
>>
>> LouisB
>> ------
>> "I'm a half-wit. I sold the other half on e-Bay"

Bruce Lewis

Regulars may be wondering why I didn't respond to the "best online photo
album service" question earlier. This week's been busy. Skim down to
the part about legal obligations re. privacy if you've already read
my bragging about ourdoings.com.

"LouisB" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> What are the opinions of the group about online photo album services?

My opinion is that the "best" album service depends on what you're
trying to do. Most people on rec.photo.digital who use such services do
so in order to publicize and get criticism for their photos, and mine
isn't the best for that purpose.

> I've avoided them because most I've seen require people (friends, relatives)
> to register before they can see your pictures which I see as an imposition.
> Are there any that don't?

Since you're talking about photos for friends and relatives, there's one
clear best online photo album service: mine.

Several don't require registration. Of course mine doesn't. If
unlisted numbers are enough privacy for most people, why not simply use
unlisted URLs?

Friends and relatives may want to register, though, so as to receive
email updates through the site. Email updates from ourdoings.com are
superior to just sending a link around, in that people see thumbnails
right in the message. Rather than ponder whether it's worth their time
at that moment to see your latest photos, they can just scan the message
and see how interesting they look.

I'm contractually obligated not to use your friends/relatives email
addresses for anything other than providing or improving the service.
This is an important point.

I'm not a lawyer, but for advertising-supported sites I'm not sure their
privacy policy (assuming they have one) is binding. If you aren't
paying for an online album, promises they make to you might be
considered gifts, and they could change their mind. If you pay for an
online album and as part of the agreement that site promises not to
abuse personal information, then even without being a lawyer or knowing
what jurisdiction you're in I can say with confidence it's binding.

I wouldn't abuse private info anyway. But supposing I got hit by a bus
and someone else took over ourdoings.com, the new person would be taking
over contracts that stipulate privacy.

> Alternatively, I recall having some software once which created html pages
> to upload to your own ftp area on the web. Can anyone point me in the
> direction of some software (shareware) which does this? Then I can use my
> own web space.

Here are some advantages ourdoings.com has over using your personal web
space:

1. SSL. If you upload to your own web space from a public wireless
network, or from a shared ethernet where some machines might be
compromised or otherwise untrusted, a cracker might steal your
FTP password and be able to deface your site. With ourdoings.com,
SSL protects your password and other authentication information.
I don't think many ISPs provide secure FTP.

2. Collaboration. People from multiple locations can maintain a site.
They can be given different levels of authorization.

3. Better software. The process for putting text with your photos is
much more streamlined than the "caption" idea in just about every
album-building site out there. Chronologically, your photos can
organize themselves, so why work hard? Putting text with a group of
photos (usually grouped by day, though you can do any grouping you
want) tells your story without your needing to explain every photo.

4. Fast server. I ordered an extra fast dedicated server, forgetting
that I'm the world's worst marketer and my little project is unlikely
to ever become a big business. Take advantage of it.

--

http://ourdoings.com/ Easily organize and disseminate news and
photos for your family or group.

Johnny Mo

> http://ourdoings.com/ Easily organize and disseminate news and
> photos for your family or group.

I can register just fine but gets an smtp error when I try to create a site
two different email addr verifiers in use ?

my email addr has two dots in it or this form: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) I'll bet
it does not like that even though it is a legal email addr

Johnny Mo

"Johnny Mo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:445ceff1$0$15331$(E-Mail Removed) reenews.net...

>> --
>>
>> http://ourdoings.com/ Easily organize and disseminate news and
>> photos for your family or group.

> I can register just fine but gets an smtp error when I try to create a
> site
> two different email addr verifiers in use ?
>
> my email addr has two dots in it or this form: (E-Mail Removed) I'll
> bet it does not like that even though it is a legal email addr

and of course when I try to use a different "one dot" email address I get
into a catch-22 until I can find a cookie undeleter:
ERROR: duplicate key violates unique constraint "login_cookie_pkey"

Bruce Lewis

"Johnny Mo" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> "Johnny Mo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > I can register just fine but gets an smtp error when I try to create a
> > site
> > two different email addr verifiers in use ?
> >
> > my email addr has two dots in it or this form: (E-Mail Removed) I'll
> > bet it does not like that even though it is a legal email addr

Can you send me the exact SMTP error message? I wonder if it has
something to do with SPF with your email provider.

> and of course when I try to use a different "one dot" email address I get
> into a catch-22 until I can find a cookie undeleter:
> ERROR: duplicate key violates unique constraint "login_cookie_pkey"

Cookie undeleter here:

https://ourdoings.com/logout.html