Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Question about buying a d50 cheaply

Question about buying a d50 cheaply

(East Bay) Phil

Hi, first timer here.

I've put-off the leap to digital for financial reasons and because I wanted a SLR. It seems possible to get a d50 in my range. I'm thinking of buying the body as cheaply as possible and then finding a reasonable multipurpose lens until the 18-200 becomes financially accessible to me. I have a few questions.

1 - Is there any reason I should consider the d70 or rebel xt over this camera?

2 - Any recommendations for a place to buy it cheaply? I saw some places - royal camera, best price cameras, and cci camera city - that sell the body for around $300. Are these places for real? reputable? I've never dealt with 'grey-market' goods, if that's what they sell.

3 - Assuming I do get the body and then hunt for the lens, is the 18-70 a good place to start. Truth be told, most of my experience is with a plain ol' pentax p3. :^D

Thanks,
Phil

PS: please pardon my cross post - I'm not certain which list is most appropriate for these questions.

Jack

(East Bay) Phil <pvnews1_dont_spam_@_dont_spam_nekophile.com> wrote in

> Hi, first timer here.
>
> I've put-off the leap to digital for financial reasons and because I
> wanted a SLR. It seems possible to get a d50 in my range. I'm
> thinking of buying the body as cheaply as possible and then finding a
> reasonable multipurpose lens until the 18-200 becomes financially
> accessible to me. I have a few questions.
>
> 1 - Is there any reason I should consider the d70 or rebel xt over
> this camera?
>
> 2 - Any recommendations for a place to buy it cheaply? I saw some
> places - royal camera, best price cameras, and cci camera city - that
> sell the body for around $300. Are these places for real? reputable?
> I've never dealt with 'grey-market' goods, if that's what they sell.
>
> 3 - Assuming I do get the body and then hunt for the lens, is the
> 18-70 a good place to start. Truth be told, most of my experience is
> with a plain ol' pentax p3. :^D

The Nikon D 50 is an excellent DSLR. I have one and find it does
everything I need it to do. It has every manual control as well as all the
automatic settings for point and shoot operation. I bought mine with the
18-55 kit lens and I recently bought a used Nikon 70-210 AF f/4-5.6 lens. I
also have two other digital cameras, A Canon G3 and a Sony W5, so I have
cameras to compare it with. There is no comparison between the D50 and the
others. I take lots of pictures of my grandchildren and as you know,
children don't stand still. Only the D50 stops the action and gives me the
shot I expected to get. The D50 does everything the D70S does except for
stopping down so you can see the depth of field. If you don't need that,
there's no reason to buy the D70. The pictures you will get with the D50
will look just as good, if not better, as the D50 has less noise than the
D70. As for the Rebel, it cost more and won't do anything the Nikon won't
do. In addition, Canon lenses are more expensive, but no better than Nikon
lenses.

Bill

(East Bay) Phil <pvnews1_dont_spam_@_dont_spam_nekophile.com> wrote:

>I've put-off the leap to digital for financial reasons and because I wanted a SLR.
> It seems possible to get a d50 in my range. I'm thinking of buying the body
>as cheaply as possible and then finding a reasonable multipurpose lens until
>the 18-200 becomes financially accessible to me. I have a few questions.

First off, the Nikon 18-200mm isn't as great as it may seem. While it
works reasonably well for a super zoom, it still suffers from many of
the issues that all super zooms have (bad distortion at the short end,
softness at the long end).

It does have some benefits, like being capable of shooting wide open
within a certain range, it has VR to help with camera shake issues, and
most notably that it's a "does it all" lense.

Personally I'd rather have a 2-3 good lenses that cover the same range
and perform better.

>1 - Is there any reason I should consider the d70 or rebel xt over this camera?

Perhaps.

The D50 is just as capable as the others for capturing images, but the
D70 and Canon XT have more controls and/or features. You'll have to
decide if those controls and features are worth the added cost.

>2 - Any recommendations for a place to buy it cheaply?

If you're buying online, I suggest you stick with the well-reputed
names, like B&H. Many of the other places with great prices are likely
to scam you in some way or another.

>3 - Assuming I do get the body and then hunt for the lens, is the
>18-70 a good place to start.

The Nikon 18-70mm is one of the better lenses to get bundled with a
camera body - much better than the 18-55mm lenses you'll find in the
kits with the D50 and XT. It has good optics, is fairly compact, has
internal focus so the front element does not rotate, and it has a good
zoom range which makes it an excellent walk around lense.

Having said that, it does suffer from vignetting when used wide-open at
18mm. And it's not an f/2.8 lense either.

So it's not perfect, but it's very good, especially for the price. It's
one of Nikons best examples of a price/performance gem.

> Truth be told, most of my experience is with a plain ol' pentax p3. :^D

Doesn't matter...photography hasn't really changed over the years, just
the media to capture the image has changed.

SMS

(East Bay) Phil wrote:
> Hi, first timer here.
>
> I've put-off the leap to digital for financial reasons and because I wanted a SLR. It seems possible to get a d50 in my range. I'm thinking of buying the body as cheaply as possible and then finding a reasonable multipurpose lens until the 18-200 becomes financially accessible to me. I have a few questions.
>
> 1 - Is there any reason I should consider the d70 or rebel xt over this camera?

Not if you're looking for the cheapest D-SLR that is worth buying. The
Rebel XT does have several advantages over the D50, but Canon doesn't
have an 18-70 lens like the Nikon. Canon has the 17-85 IS, which is a
better lens, but much more expensive.

> 2 - Any recommendations for a place to buy it cheaply? I saw some places - royal camera, best price cameras, and cci camera city - that sell the body for around $300. Are these places for real? reputable? I've never dealt with 'grey-market' goods, if that's what they sell.

No.

The body only is about $550. Reputable places are Adorama, B&H, Buydig,
and Pictureline.

> 3 - Assuming I do get the body and then hunt for the lens, is the 18-70 a good place to start.

Yes.

Bolshoy Huy

get the Olympus Evolt-500 kit.

Cynicor

SMS wrote:
>> 3 - Assuming I do get the body and then hunt for the lens, is the
>> 18-70 a good place to start.

> Yes.

I have a bunch of good lenses now, but I usually use the 18-70 on my
D200 as my walking-around lens.

Gisle Hannemyr

(East Bay) Phil <pvnews1_dont_spam_@_dont_spam_nekophile.com> writes:
> 2 - Any recommendations for a place to buy it cheaply?

Adorama, B&H, Buydig.

> I saw some places - royal camera, best price cameras, and cci camera
> city - that sell the body for around $300. Are these places for
> real?

You'll never get it for the advertised price from these places.

> reputable?

No.

> I've never dealt with 'grey-market' goods, if that's what they sell.

That as well, but the big scam is they are running is known as
bait & switch. They bait you with a low price tag. Then they
switch to a hard sell and talk you into paying a premium for stuff
that is included in the box from a reputable dealer.

A good place to check the reputation of dealers is:

http://www.resellerratings.com/

Bait & switch is not the only hazard if you are doing bargain
hunting on the Internet. Take a look at this blog entry before
you spring for that too-good-to-be-true deal:

http://heim.ifi.uio.no/~gisle/blog/?p=18

Sigma SD10, Kodak DCS460, Canon Powershot G5, Olympus 2020Z

(East Bay) Phil

> >> 3 - Assuming I do get the body and then hunt for the lens, is the
> >> 18-70 a good place to start.

> > Yes.

> I have a bunch of good lenses now, but I usually use the 18-70 on my
> D200 as my walking-around lens.

I don't suppose there's some store with a package deal including this lens and the body?

I was just searching the sites which had been mentioned. It appears that the d50 body runs $550 or $400 for a refurb. The $400 price is right, but my only experience with refurbished electronics has been cdroms (not a good experience).

Randy Howard

Gisle Hannemyr wrote
(in article <(E-Mail Removed)>):

> (East Bay) Phil <pvnews1_dont_spam_@_dont_spam_nekophile.com> writes:
>> 2 - Any recommendations for a place to buy it cheaply?

> Adorama, B&H, Buydig.

I've never dealt with Buydig. When they claim it is "in stock",
can you believe them? Anyone have any complaints?

Online ratings of their service is a mixed bag.

--
Randy Howard (2reply remove FOOBAR)

LabRat

I have purchased 2 Canon dslr kits and a lens from BuyDig over the last 2
years and have never had any problems. My latest purchase, a Canon 17-40mm
L lens was ordered last wednesday and arrived three days later even though I
elected for the cheapest shipping. I highly reccomend them to anyone.
They have a refurbed 50D with 18-55mm kit lens for $489.

LabRat

news:(E-Mail Removed). net...