Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Battery problems with Vivicam 3301

Battery problems with Vivicam 3301

Steve

Hi
My vivitar vivicam 3301 which I've had for 1 years now turns itself
off to conserve battery power a second after turning it on. This
happens even with a fresh AAA batery. I can take a picture if I press
the shutter button a split second before it turns off but this doesn't
allow me to change any options or frame the subject very well. Has
anyone else experienced this and if so, is there a solution?

Thanks
Steve

Paul Heslop

Steve wrote:

> Hi
> My vivitar vivicam 3301 which I've had for 1 years now turns itself
> off to conserve battery power a second after turning it on. This
> happens even with a fresh AAA batery. I can take a picture if I press
> the shutter button a split second before it turns off but this doesn't
> allow me to change any options or frame the subject very well. Has
> anyone else experienced this and if so, is there a solution?
>
> Thanks
> Steve

Is there not an option to turn that off? I know it could be hard
getting into the settings anyway, if it's shutting off so quickly. The
only get around I could think is to use an external power source then
change the settings that way.... ah, I just looked it up, weird little
cam, appears to have no real settings or anything and no external
power? Does it use the battery when you use it as a webcam?

It looks like it is a defunct model too :O(

--
Paul (Hey man wake up and smell the concrete)
Stop and Look

Steve

No, it uses USB in web cam mode, although I've never tried it. No
other options are selectable when connected to a pc. My only thought
was that the on switch was sticking but it's not that because the no
power icon shows directly before switch off.

Paul Heslop

Steve wrote:

> No, it uses USB in web cam mode, although I've never tried it. No
> other options are selectable when connected to a pc. My only thought
> was that the on switch was sticking but it's not that because the no
> power icon shows directly before switch off.

It seems to have been a pretty cheap little cam, did you pick it up at
a reasonable price? I know it's no great help but it might just be
time for a new one. I didn't see mention of memory cards etc so at
least you haven't wasted money on any extras.

There is a group dedicated to point and shoot cams,

rec.photo.digital.point+shoot

but to be honest I'd be surprised if anyone can suggest anything
better than replacing it.

There was one thing I was wondering, there isn't any way the removable
face plate could be catching on anything? plus you could check that
the battery connections are clean.

--
Paul (Hey man wake up and smell the concrete)
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

Steve

Yes, I think you're right, it's had it's day, I only started using it
again after it being stuck in a drawer for a while. I brought it
becase it looked cute.

Steve

Paul Heslop

Steve wrote:

> Yes, I think you're right, it's had it's day, I only started using it
> again after it being stuck in a drawer for a while. I brought it
> becase it looked cute.
>
> Steve

Aye, well, bin it and get something cuter :O))