Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Digital Rebel Focus Problems

Digital Rebel Focus Problems

dkirkham@ragansmith.com

I have the 6.3mp digital rebel, and I am having problems with my auto
focus. I have two lenses, Canon 18-55 and Canon 70-200. Any
suggestions?

Pete D

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I have the 6.3mp digital rebel, and I am having problems with my auto
> focus. I have two lenses, Canon 18-55 and Canon 70-200. Any
> suggestions?

Yes, I suggest that you explain the problem in rather a bit more detail.

Celcius

Hi!
Do you use the 7 AF points at once?
If so, this might be the problem. Try using the center one only
(consult your book and look jup "AF point"). You press the shutter
halfway while the "point" is on your subject, then you recompose the
photo and press all the way down.
Marcel

Helen

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I have the 6.3mp digital rebel, and I am having problems with my auto
> focus. I have two lenses, Canon 18-55 and Canon 70-200. Any
> suggestions?

We could start with a suggestion that you define what the problems are.
Eg, doesn't focus at all, focuses very slowly, front-focuses, back-focuses,
only focuses on crocuses, etc, etc.

Neil Ellwood

On Mon, 01 May 2006 21:29:49 +1000, Pete D wrote:

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>>I have the 6.3mp digital rebel, and I am having problems with my auto
>> focus. I have two lenses, Canon 18-55 and Canon 70-200. Any
>> suggestions?
>>

> Yes, I suggest that you explain the problem in rather a bit more detail.

There is another way - in the dawn of history we used to perform a ritual
called manual focus - try this.

--
Neil
Delete 'l' to reply

BD

Any suggestions?

Use one lens at a time?

ASAAR

On Mon, 1 May 2006 12:35:40 +0100, Helen the humorous wrote:

>> I have the 6.3mp digital rebel, and I am having problems with my auto
>> focus. I have two lenses, Canon 18-55 and Canon 70-200. Any
>> suggestions?

> We could start with a suggestion that you define what the problems are.
> Eg, doesn't focus at all, focuses very slowly, front-focuses, back-focuses,
> only focuses on crocuses, etc, etc.

What a croc of ( . . . a good suggestion)

Ian Anderson

On Mon, 01 May 2006 13:24:05 +0100, Neil Ellwood wrote:

> On Mon, 01 May 2006 21:29:49 +1000, Pete D wrote:
>

>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>>>I have the 6.3mp digital rebel, and I am having problems with my auto
>>> focus. I have two lenses, Canon 18-55 and Canon 70-200. Any
>>> suggestions?
>>>

>> Yes, I suggest that you explain the problem in rather a bit more detail.

> There is another way - in the dawn of history we used to perform a ritual
> called manual focus - try this.

Have you ever tried manually focusing with canons miserable FOV and
functionally deficient (****) focusing screens on the 300D to 20D range?
This leads on to me posting the request for feed back "20D focus
indicator M42 to EOS" 1/05/06.

Regards
ian

Neil Ellwood

On Tue, 02 May 2006 13:17:18 +0000, Ian Anderson wrote:

> On Mon, 01 May 2006 13:24:05 +0100, Neil Ellwood wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 01 May 2006 21:29:49 +1000, Pete D wrote:
>>

>>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>>>>

>>> Yes, I suggest that you explain the problem in rather a bit more detail.

>> There is another way - in the dawn of history we used to perform a ritual
>> called manual focus - try this.

> Have you ever tried manually focusing with canons miserable FOV and
> functionally deficient (****) focusing screens on the 300D to 20D range?
> This leads on to me posting the request for feed back "20D focus
> indicator M42 to EOS" 1/05/06.
>
> Regards
> ian

I have a 350D. The way to focus takes a lot longer to describe than to do,
basically focus just past the plane of sharp focus then back just past it
again narrowing it down until you have it exact. It is much easier than it
sounds but it works (as it always has). If I can do it at nearly 74 years
of age then it is my belief that anyone can with a little practice.

--
Neil
Delete 'l' to reply

Prometheus

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Ian Anderson
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>Have you ever tried manually focusing with canons miserable FOV and
>functionally deficient (****) focusing screens on the 300D to 20D
>range?

I have no problem focusing my 350D manually, the one irritation is the
narrow focus ring on the lens which is almost an afterthought provided
for manual use. I much prefer the wider rings on my old system; no risk
of putting a finger in front, or over, the lens. Having said that the
auto-focus works well most times.
--
Ian G8ILZ