Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > PhotoPlus

PhotoPlus

John Lee

I tend to view most of my holiday digital images on screen, and use
PhotoPlus 9.01 to add captions. My problem is that in order to get a
readable size print on a full screen 1600x1200 image I have to use a minimum
of 28 point (Arial), preferably 36 point. Very occasionally (as you would
logically expect would always happen) the resultant caption is absolutely
huge. I then try something sensible like 12 point and all is well. However,
next time I try 12 point it is almost invisible and I have to revert to
28/36 point. So I am constantly chopping and changing, and don't know where
I am.

Another side issue is that when I crop and readjust the size of the image
then I have to experiment somewhere between 12 and 36 point to get an
appropriate font size on the screen. I daresay this is to be expected.

Does anyone else have this problem - or can suggest a remedy? Thanks.

Phil Stripling

In article <k885g.5200$(E-Mail Removed)>, John Lee
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Very occasionally (as you would
> logically expect would always happen) the resultant caption is absolutely
> huge. I then try something sensible like 12 point and all is well.

Are these photos the same dimensions?

Ed Ruf

On Mon, 01 May 2006 16:19:56 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "John Lee"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Yes, that's what is so mysterious. The same thing was happening with an
>earlier verion of PhotoPlus.

What dpi does Photoplus think these images are. It will need dpi to
convert points which is an absolute size to a number of pixels, right?
http://EdwardGRuf.com

John Lee

Yes, that's what is so mysterious. The same thing was happening with an
earlier verion of PhotoPlus.

John

"Phil Stripling" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:300420061420186564%(E-Mail Removed). ..
> In article <k885g.5200$(E-Mail Removed)>, John Lee
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Very occasionally (as you would
>> logically expect would always happen) the resultant caption is absolutely
>> huge. I then try something sensible like 12 point and all is well.

> Are these photos the same dimensions?
>
> --
> Phil Stripling | email to the replyto address is presumed
> The Civilized Explorer | spam and read later. email from this URL
> http://www.cieux.com/ | http://www.civex.com/ is read daily.

John Lee

I am not sure how dpi could be part of the problem, as I am generally
speaking adding the captions to full screen 1600x200 images, for viewing on
the screen - and not printing the images.

John

"Ed Ruf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 01 May 2006 16:19:56 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "John Lee"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Yes, that's what is so mysterious. The same thing was happening with an
>>earlier verion of PhotoPlus.

> What dpi does Photoplus think these images are. It will need dpi to
> convert points which is an absolute size to a number of pixels, right?
> __________________________________________________ ______
> Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ((E-Mail Removed))
> http://EdwardGRuf.com

Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)

On Mon, 01 May 2006 21:10:11 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "John Lee"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I am not sure how dpi could be part of the problem, as I am generally
>speaking adding the captions to full screen 1600x200 images, for viewing on
>the screen - and not printing the images.

Points are an ABSOLUTE unit of measurement, ie 1/72". The program has to
assume some DPI in order to translate an x point font in y pixels of
measure. You might better think of this as PPI, but all the programs use
the term DPI.
http://EdwardGRuf.com

Dave Cohen

John Lee wrote:
> I tend to view most of my holiday digital images on screen, and use
> PhotoPlus 9.01 to add captions. My problem is that in order to get a
> readable size print on a full screen 1600x1200 image I have to use a minimum
> of 28 point (Arial), preferably 36 point. Very occasionally (as you would
> logically expect would always happen) the resultant caption is absolutely
> huge. I then try something sensible like 12 point and all is well. However,
> next time I try 12 point it is almost invisible and I have to revert to
> 28/36 point. So I am constantly chopping and changing, and don't know where
> I am.
>
> Another side issue is that when I crop and readjust the size of the image
> then I have to experiment somewhere between 12 and 36 point to get an
> appropriate font size on the screen. I daresay this is to be expected.
>
> Does anyone else have this problem - or can suggest a remedy? Thanks.

I'm not sure I fully understand your problem, but I would do all the
processing and sizing before you attempt to add a caption. Add your
caption and adjust as needed. You are aware that text is on a special
text layer and remains editable and movable until you merge layers.
Dave Cohen