Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Sanyo HD1 high-def camcorder records to SD flash memory!

Sanyo HD1 high-def camcorder records to SD flash memory!

SleeperMan

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
Paul Rubin <http://(E-Mail Removed)> typed:
> "SleeperMan" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>>> If you want a camera that records direct to DVD with reasonable
>>> quality you're going to have to wait for faster CPUs than the
>>> dual-core P4 with power consumptions lower than an 800 MHz Via to
>>> achieve that level of compression in realtime without significant
>>> artifacting in a camera with reasonable battery life.

>> so, speed is mostly that factor...so we're back at physical size, as
>> you said...more space and again more space...

> Nah, cameras use ASIC's with a lot of parallelism to get that speed.
> It's the same way with cellular phones. Not much of that dual core P4
> is actually doing arithmetic. In the ASIC, it's almost all
> arithmetic.

it's interesting indeed...how that small low-power phones can do wonders...

--
Visit my web page at http://www.protoncek.com

David Chien

Yawn. see http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/ dpreview.com -> forums. and
many other japanese sites for long reviews, samples, etc. that have been
out for months.

In short, like the latest AV magazine in japan says, it's pretty good
for daylight shots, and you'll get as good or better than standard DV
camcorder quality, but in low light, watch out! It'll go grainy faster
than a good Canon XL series.

Also, keep in mind limited apt. settings, no short depth of field
effects, and no way to stick on a fat battery ala rear mounted camcorders.

It's a good to very good consumer level camcorder/camera, but if you're
gonna spend $700+ on one, there are a lot of other solid choices with
more videographic flexibility and control.

Certainly, the next 'best' choice would be the Sony HDV HC3 at $1200 or so.

---

If all you want it HD videos, the latest Panasonic Lumix cameras also
have this feature in their digital cameras; SD mode, Casio EXILIM models
such as the S500/S600 have this as well; and the poorer performing Sony
M1/M2 series, too.

J. Clarke

Paul Rubin wrote:

> "SleeperMan" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>> > If you want a camera that records direct to DVD with reasonable
>> > quality you're going to have to wait for faster CPUs than the
>> > dual-core P4 with power consumptions lower than an 800 MHz Via to
>> > achieve that level of compression in realtime without significant
>> > artifacting in a camera with reasonable battery life.

>> so, speed is mostly that factor...so we're back at physical size, as you
>> said...more space and again more space...

> Nah, cameras use ASIC's with a lot of parallelism to get that speed.
> It's the same way with cellular phones. Not much of that dual core P4
> is actually doing arithmetic. In the ASIC, it's almost all arithmetic.

Sorry, but there are no cameras that can record video direct to DVD with the
same recording quality that you would get out of one produced commercially.
The technology simply does not exist to provide that degree of compression
at that quality level in realtime.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

J. Clarke

SleeperMan wrote:

> In news:(E-Mail Removed),
> Paul Rubin <http://(E-Mail Removed)> typed:
>>>
>>> so, speed is mostly that factor...so we're back at physical size, as
>>> you said...more space and again more space...

>> Nah, cameras use ASIC's with a lot of parallelism to get that speed.
>> It's the same way with cellular phones. Not much of that dual core P4
>> is actually doing arithmetic. In the ASIC, it's almost all
>> arithmetic.

> it's interesting indeed...how that small low-power phones can do
> wonders...

And if the quality of video produced by cell phones is adequate to your
needs . . .