Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Mac and Windows slide/movie/music shows

Mac and Windows slide/movie/music shows

Conrad

Hi,

Our photo club has a meeting coming up (mix of Mac and Windows users).
A Mac user is giving an outstanding demo of his slides from the
Canadian rockies. Program includes music, fades, etc. Just outstanding.
He'll discuss programs used with his Mac.

My question is - what comparable programs exist for producing
outstanding slide shows for Windows users? This is trying to offer
equal opportunities for club's Windows users.

TIA,

Conrad
Camp Sherman, Oregon

winggang

Sounds like Keynote which AFAIK is a Mac version of Powerpoint.
Takes about an hour to learn how to use.
But isn't Powerpoint the most basic app for presentations for Windoze
users?

(If not Keynote then it's probably iPhoto. I've used both; for me
Keynote is far superior.

HTH

winggang.com

Conrad wrote:
> Hi,

> A Mac user is giving an outstanding demo of his slides from the
> Canadian rockies. Program includes music, fades, etc. Just outstanding.
> He'll discuss programs used with his Mac.
>
> My question is - what comparable programs exist for producing
> outstanding slide shows for Windows users? This is trying to offer
> equal opportunities for club's Windows users.
>
> TIA,
>
> Conrad
> Camp Sherman, Oregon

J. Clarke

Conrad wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Our photo club has a meeting coming up (mix of Mac and Windows users).
> A Mac user is giving an outstanding demo of his slides from the
> Canadian rockies. Program includes music, fades, etc. Just outstanding.
> He'll discuss programs used with his Mac.
>
> My question is - what comparable programs exist for producing
> outstanding slide shows for Windows users? This is trying to offer
> equal opportunities for club's Windows users.

Powerpoint has the capabilities you describe. Most people don't even try to
use them and the ones who do generally overdo it, but the capability is
there.

Beyond that there's a bewildering array of products available.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

Phil Stripling

In article <(E-Mail Removed) om>,
Conrad <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> A Mac user is giving an outstanding demo of his slides from the
> Canadian rockies. Program includes music, fades, etc. Just outstanding.
> He'll discuss programs used with his Mac.

Post what program he's using, so people have some clue what to
recommend. If he was using Boinx FotoMagico, the link is at
http://www.fotomagico.com/
and it's a great program that I use to save shows to DVD that'll play
on any TV.

It could also have been done with iDVD, Apple's program to save video
and / or still photos to DVD and put them in motion:
http://www.apple.com/ilife/idvd/

I don't have any idea what Windows programs do this, but hopefully this
will seed the recollections of some Windows users for you.

Paul Bartram

"Conrad" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

> My question is - what comparable programs exist for producing
> outstanding slide shows for Windows users? This is trying to offer
> equal opportunities for club's Windows users.

Only one I've used is Pics2Exe http://www.wnsoft.com It does produce some
excellent slide-with-music presentations all contained in a single exe file.

Unfortunately it is not cross-platform - Windows only!

Paul

VI Photo Gifts

Hi, Conrad. Finally a digital camera question I can answer!

Most people like ProShow Gold, http://
www.photodex.com/products/proshow, for slideshows. I've never used it
only because I didn't want to buy yet another program for my computer.

I've been using PhotoShop Elements versions 2 and 3 to create
slideshows. The advantage of using Elements is you get the ability to
create PDF slideshows which are cross-platform. However, unless the
user has a media PC, they can't view them on tv.

PhotoShopElements 3/4 allow you to create VCDs (or so the documentation
says), but when I tried it, it worked on only a very few DVD players.
So, I saved the slideshows in WMV format and created the VCDs using my
default Sonic DVD-writing software. They were tested in several DVD
players and played with no problem.

PowerPoint has its limitations, because you generally have to have the
software installed in order to run the slideshow. Yes, there is the
PowerPoint Viewer download, but not everybody has that or knows how to
get it. I generally recommend PowerPoint only for multi-media
presentations that need something other than photos.

Hope this helps.

Karen

Conrad wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Our photo club has a meeting coming up (mix of Mac and Windows users).
> A Mac user is giving an outstanding demo of his slides from the
> Canadian rockies. Program includes music, fades, etc. Just outstanding.
> He'll discuss programs used with his Mac.
>
> My question is - what comparable programs exist for producing
> outstanding slide shows for Windows users? This is trying to offer
> equal opportunities for club's Windows users.
>
> TIA,
>
> Conrad
> Camp Sherman, Oregon

VI Photo Gifts

Conrad, I should have also mentioned Windows' Photo Story version 3, a
FREE download from Microsoft. Of course, it'll only play on Windows
computers that have the software, but it's such an easy program, and
the price is right. What distinguishes it from other programs is it
encourages you to add narration, and has very simple instructions to
walk you through it so you can tell your story. You can also add music,
etc, but you may run into problems with Rights Management. For
recording life's events, though, like birthdays, anniversaries, etc
it's perfect, because you can then say, "and here's Linda, Susie,
Conrad, and me at the Eiffel Tower." So many people are adding music
and fancy transitions, that to me, don't focus on what the slideshow
should really be about - the people or the place.