Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wireless card fails to pick up DHCP address from ICS

Wireless card fails to pick up DHCP address from ICS

Jim Florence

Hi,

Got a strange problem.

I have a long time running ICS gateway, XP pro, US Robotics 22Mb wireless
AP.

I have a laptop,running XP Home, which has been running through the gatway
for a year and is still working.

I have a recently aquired Ipaq which quite happily pocks up a DHCP
address,via wireless, and can quite happily see shared files and surf the
web.

The problem is a new Dell I have just installed. I have tried 2 different
wireless cards, a 3 Com and a Belkin, and both cant pick up DHCP.If I give
the card a static address I can happily surf the web and see my shared
internet connection but I cant see my shared files or printer.

I disabled, or thought I did, Nitro mode on the Belkin and got a DHCP
address once. Cant actually replicate the trick now

I do run Outpost firewall on the gateway but this had been disabled to test
this.

Any pointers gratefully recieved as I'm getting nowhere fast at the moment

Regards

Jim Florence

mike

try netbui protocol
mike

"Jim Florence" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:412a52e9$0$8518$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Hi,
>
> Got a strange problem.
>
> I have a long time running ICS gateway, XP pro, US Robotics 22Mb wireless
> AP.
>
> I have a laptop,running XP Home, which has been running through the gatway
> for a year and is still working.
>
> I have a recently aquired Ipaq which quite happily pocks up a DHCP
> address,via wireless, and can quite happily see shared files and surf the
> web.
>
> The problem is a new Dell I have just installed. I have tried 2 different
> wireless cards, a 3 Com and a Belkin, and both cant pick up DHCP.If I give
> the card a static address I can happily surf the web and see my shared
> internet connection but I cant see my shared files or printer.
>
> I disabled, or thought I did, Nitro mode on the Belkin and got a DHCP
> address once. Cant actually replicate the trick now
>
> I do run Outpost firewall on the gateway but this had been disabled to

test
> this.
>
> Any pointers gratefully recieved as I'm getting nowhere fast at the moment
>
> Regards
>
> Jim Florence

---

Jim Florence

Mike,

Thanks for the pointer but unfortunately it doesn't help.

The static addrss works if you map to the machine, the real issur for me is
why I'm not getting a DHCP address from the ICS server

Cheers

Jim
news:75wWc.446$(E-Mail Removed)...