Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > online professional photo printers

online professional photo printers

leehoffman@gmail.com

Has anybody tried the following online printers?

www.printroom.com
www.alphafotoworks.com

I am looking for an online PRO printing option, something beyond the
snapfish, ofoto, and shutterfly types...

I would love to hear what results you have had. Thanks very much,
Lee

Pat

I have heard of fotoworks, but I have never used them. So that doesn't
mean much other then I must have seen an ad somewhere.... Just
comparing their websites, they look more like a pro lab. The important
thing is they tell you what type of paper and process they are using.
They use Fuji. Personally, I like the skin tones of Kodak. Find a
place that used the Endura Pro paper and you'll be happy.

Good luck.

John McWilliams

> Has anybody tried the following online printers?
>
> www.printroom.com
> www.alphafotoworks.com
>
> I am looking for an online PRO printing option, something beyond the
> snapfish, ofoto, and shutterfly types...
>
> I would love to hear what results you have had. Thanks very much,

I've been using Printroom for almost a year; recommend them. There's
also Shutterfly pro I considered.

--
John McWilliams

Conrad

Hi,

>>I am looking for an online PRO printing option, something beyond the snapfish (H-P)<<

I've used snapfish for 16x20 and 20x30 prints. Very satisfactory
results (and sales).

I'm wondering how much better the human eye can discern and are the
cost differences worth it?

I'm not trying to start a war - just curious.

Best,

Conrad
Camp Sherman, Oregon

Lee

yeah, that is what I am wondering too. hate to go around ordering
expensive prints from everyone under the sun just to compare them.

Pat

Huge. That's the difference between printers and their equipment.
Even the grade of photo paper they use is important.

Do a very simple and cheap test. Take the same set of files and send
them off two a couple of local 1 hour places (Walmart, Eckert, etc) and
send to the mail-order places. Take a look and decide who you want to
use. You can do the whole thing for $25 or so. You will be amazed by
the differences. When you send the files, make sure you send images
with a variety of subjects, lights, etc.

Also make sure you send to places using different machines (Kodak,
Fuji, etc.).

I think the differences in the highlights, lowlights, and skin tones
will amaze you when you see them side by side.

Thomas T. Veldhouse

Lee <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> yeah, that is what I am wondering too. hate to go around ordering
> expensive prints from everyone under the sun just to compare them.

What matters is how tight their color management is and what quality of paper
they use. If they are sloppy you get sloppy results.

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Pat

I just got back from taking my son to the dentist. They had Popular
Photography there. They ranked MPIX.com very highly, FWIW.

Thomas T. Veldhouse

Pat <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I just got back from taking my son to the dentist. They had Popular
> Photography there. They ranked MPIX.com very highly, FWIW.

I second MPIX. They do decent work and have a broad product selection. I
have a 10x15 frame in my office that I often replace the print in for variety
.... MPIX can handle the job. So many online retailers don't do 10x15! And
Kodak Endura ... Mmm Mmmm.

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Pat

I've never use the lab, but as you say, Kodak Endura is a GREAT paper.
As I mentions before, find a place that uses that paper and you will
generally be happy.