Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Exactly which Canon SLR lenses work 100% on a Rebel?

Exactly which Canon SLR lenses work 100% on a Rebel?

aaJoe

I'm on the hunt for a used Rebel (probably a 300) and was hoping to find
a website that lists every older film lens that works 100% with it. Or
almost 100% as some features I may not need. Basically all I really
need is aperture or shutter priority and to be able to see those 2
readings in the viewfinder. And quick autofocus of course.

And if anyone knows of one for the Nikon D70 that would be interesting
too.

David Dyer-Bennet

aaJoe <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> I'm on the hunt for a used Rebel (probably a 300) and was hoping to find
> a website that lists every older film lens that works 100% with it. Or
> almost 100% as some features I may not need. Basically all I really
> need is aperture or shutter priority and to be able to see those 2
> readings in the viewfinder. And quick autofocus of course.
>
> And if anyone knows of one for the Nikon D70 that would be interesting
> too.

In both cases, all AF lenses work. (In the Canon case apparently
there are sometimes problems with third-party lenses, though.) They
all support all metering modes and display of aperture and
shutterspeed in the viewfinder.

The D70 doesn't meter with the pre-AF lens. Canon AF cameras can't
mount pre-AF lenses at all, except through adapters from various
manufacturers (but I'm told the adapters work very well).
RKBA: <http://www.dd-b.net/carry/>

Thomas T. Veldhouse

aaJoe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I'm on the hunt for a used Rebel (probably a 300) and was hoping to find
> a website that lists every older film lens that works 100% with it. Or
> almost 100% as some features I may not need. Basically all I really
> need is aperture or shutter priority and to be able to see those 2
> readings in the viewfinder. And quick autofocus of course.
>
> And if anyone knows of one for the Nikon D70 that would be interesting
> too.

It is easy for Nikon. Any D lens that Nikon makes will work fine with the
D70. I will qualify that with a possible expection. There may be a very old
D model wide angle lens where the rear-element sticks out too far and
restricts the mirror in the D70, but I am not sure what it is (or even if the
offending lens was a D lens).

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse

aaJoe

> > I'm on the hunt for a used Rebel (probably a 300) and was hoping to find
> > a website that lists every older film lens that works 100% with it. Or
> > almost 100% as some features I may not need. Basically all I really
> > need is aperture or shutter priority and to be able to see those 2
> > readings in the viewfinder. And quick autofocus of course.
> >
> > And if anyone knows of one for the Nikon D70 that would be interesting
> > too.

> In both cases, all AF lenses work. (In the Canon case apparently
> there are sometimes problems with third-party lenses, though.) They
> all support all metering modes and display of aperture and
> shutterspeed in the viewfinder.
>
> The D70 doesn't meter with the pre-AF lens. Canon AF cameras can't
> mount pre-AF lenses at all, except through adapters from various
> manufacturers (but I'm told the adapters work very well).

Well that is simple. Great. I didn't want to use non-AF lenses anyway!

David Dyer-Bennet

"Thomas T. Veldhouse" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> aaJoe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > I'm on the hunt for a used Rebel (probably a 300) and was hoping to find
> > a website that lists every older film lens that works 100% with it. Or
> > almost 100% as some features I may not need. Basically all I really
> > need is aperture or shutter priority and to be able to see those 2
> > readings in the viewfinder. And quick autofocus of course.
> >
> > And if anyone knows of one for the Nikon D70 that would be interesting
> > too.

> It is easy for Nikon. Any D lens that Nikon makes will work fine with the
> D70. I will qualify that with a possible expection. There may be a very old
> D model wide angle lens where the rear-element sticks out too far and
> restricts the mirror in the D70, but I am not sure what it is (or even if the
> offending lens was a D lens).

I can't find a Nikon AF lens that requires mirror lockup; or anything
since the 1960s, in fact (the 1962 21mm f/4, for example, did require
mirror lockup, as did most of the early fisheyes except the 6mm and
8mm f/2.. But my not finding it isn't definitive of course.
RKBA: <http://www.dd-b.net/carry/>

Keith Baird

David Dyer-Bennet <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In both cases, all AF lenses work. (In the Canon case apparently
> there are sometimes problems with third-party lenses, though.) They
> all support all metering modes and display of aperture and
> shutterspeed in the viewfinder.

Excluding, for Canon, the four FD mount autofocus lenses which won't fit
EF mount camera bodies such as the Rebel/300.

--/<eith

This old Bob

EF and EF-S

Simple, really.

Roy G

"David Dyer-Bennet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)-b.net...
> "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
>> aaJoe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> > I'm on the hunt for a used Rebel (probably a 300) and was hoping to
>> > find
>> > a website that lists every older film lens that works 100% with it. Or
>> > almost 100% as some features I may not need. Basically all I really
>> > need is aperture or shutter priority and to be able to see those 2
>> > readings in the viewfinder. And quick autofocus of course.
>> >
>> > And if anyone knows of one for the Nikon D70 that would be interesting
>> > too.

>> It is easy for Nikon. Any D lens that Nikon makes will work fine with
>> the
>> D70. I will qualify that with a possible expection. There may be a very
>> old
>> D model wide angle lens where the rear-element sticks out too far and
>> restricts the mirror in the D70, but I am not sure what it is (or even if
>> the
>> offending lens was a D lens).

> I can't find a Nikon AF lens that requires mirror lockup; or anything
> since the 1960s, in fact (the 1962 21mm f/4, for example, did require
> mirror lockup, as did most of the early fisheyes except the 6mm and
> 8mm f/2.. But my not finding it isn't definitive of course.
> --
> David Dyer-Bennet, <(E-Mail Removed)>, <http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/>
> RKBA: <http://www.dd-b.net/carry/>
> Pics: <http://dd-b.lighthunters.net/>
> <http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/SnapshotAlbum/>
> Dragaera/Steven Brust: <http://dragaera.info/>

Hi.

The Nikon website has a list, and although the list of what fits is not too
easy to understand, the exceptions, which should not be fitted, are quite
clearly shown.

Roy G

Steve Wolfe

> I'm on the hunt for a used Rebel (probably a 300) and was hoping to find
> a website that lists every older film lens that works 100% with it

As another person said, any EF or EF-S lens. As to the choice of camera,
if you watch for rebates and such, you might get a brand-new 350D body for
not much more than a used 300D body. If you don't mind the smaller size,
the 350D has a number of very useful improvements.

steve

aaJoe

> > I'm on the hunt for a used Rebel (probably a 300) and was hoping to find
> > a website that lists every older film lens that works 100% with it

> As another person said, any EF or EF-S lens. As to the choice of camera,
> if you watch for rebates and such, you might get a brand-new 350D body for
> not much more than a used 300D body. If you don't mind the smaller size,
> the 350D has a number of very useful improvements.

The 300D is going for less than $300 now in some areas. It might be a
challenge to find a rebated 350D at that price.