Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Distortion fix formula/workflow for Tokina 12-24 AT-X Pro f/4?

Distortion fix formula/workflow for Tokina 12-24 AT-X Pro f/4?

bjw@mambo.ucolick.org

Go-dot wrote:

> BJW: I would thnik that a spherical sensor would pretty much imply a
> spherical image, but at any rate I think we're in complete agreement
> here. The Widelux cameras actually use a curved (circular) film plane
> to try to overcome some of these issues, but as you mentionedl,
> printing on a flat media presents other distortions.

My point was that if you had a sensor curved like the inside of a
sphere, but you mapped it to a flat output image, you could choose
how to do the mapping, but you'd still be left with either curved lines
or egg-shaped heads. I agree we are in agreement. I have used a
swing-lens camera (Russian pseudo-Widelux). Things get wacky
quickly if you don't hold the camera level, although I didn't always
mind that. What's interesting is that if you avoid certain image
elements like long horizontal lines, the non-rectilinear perspective
is usually not obvious and the images can look more "natural" than
those done with rectilinear superwides. The brain does many neat
things when interpreting images.

> Many years ago, I saw a panorama in the form of backlit
> transparencies. You actually viewed the image from inside the
> display. If I recall correctly, the effect was pretty impressive,
> though it only covered 180 degrees.
>
> As a matter of curiosity, do you work at Mt. Hamilton?
>
> John Hufnagel

Those panoramas are often called cycloramas. I can't remember
where I've seen them, occasionally they show up in natural history
museums.

I used to work at UC Santa Cruz, where most of the "Lick" staff work
(the staff resident on the mountain is relatively small now), although
we made trips up there sometimes. Almost on topic, Lick has a
rather cool historical panoramic photograph of the Sierra Nevada,
collaged from several exposures, photographed from Mt. Hamilton
in the early 20th C. I'm pretty sure they sell reproductions of this
through the publications office, but I don't know if they have any in
the Mt. Hamilton gift shop.

-Ben